Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #1576
Forum Member

Sounds like an amazing lens optically, weatherproofing is great, concerned about the weight a little

06-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #1577
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyejason Quote
Sounds like an amazing lens optically, weatherproofing is great, concerned about the weight a little
The only other option I could suggest would be the DA*300, but I found the SDM AF annoyingly slow and the reach not enough. It also tends to hunt in low light and there's no focus limiter. Coupling it with the HDDA 1.4x TC improves the reach but makes the hunting even worse. There's a focus limiter on the DFA 150-450 but I hardly ever use it because it focuses 95% of the time instead of hunting. Yes, the DFA lens is heavy, because it's really a FF lens. You can put the 1.4x TC on the DFA lens too, but it doesn't gain enough for me to make the loss of sharpness worthwhile.
06-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #1578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Do you have any advice for photographing songbirds with the 150-450? They are very quick. I would like to capture the clearest possible image.

Cheers,
Loyd
When I shoot small birds with 150-450 I use the highest possible shutter speed and lowest aperture. I use the K-1 and I'll put the camera in TAv mode and use the buttons on the lens for focusing.

Here's a few of the birds I've managed to capture like this.

06-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #1579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It's going to be hard unless you can get closer. If you're shooting from a fixed location, a tripod will help to reduce motion blur. DXO Photolab works with the K3 (not yet with the K3iii) and has some excellent AI noise reduction on RAW. I find however that its JPEG engine tends to produce artifacts in subtle shades like sunsets. I mention it because it may help you use a higher ISO like 1600 to get a better shutter speed. The sort of settings I was using on the K3 was - spot focus AFS, centre weighted AE, aperture priority, auto ISO up to 1600, and I think you can also set the camera to bias for high shutter speeds. On APS-C, the DFA 150-450 is reasonably sharp wide open and gives really nice bokeh. Make sure that SR is on, of course.

The only other thing if you have enough light is to consider the HDDA 1.4x TC but honestly I don't use mine very much. It adds a little softness and creates a field of view which is very small. I am generally shooting hand held while I walk around rather than from a specific spot with a tripod. Maybe try camouflage clothes to see if you can get closer? It doesn't seem to help me much though!
Thank you for these concrete suggestions. I like to shoot in the early AM on sunny days. After 10AM, the colours are less vivid. I haven't tried the lens with the HDDA 1.4x TC yet. Now I'm curious.

Cheers,
Loyd

06-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #1580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
When I shoot small birds with 150-450 I use the highest possible shutter speed and lowest aperture. I use the K-1 and I'll put the camera in TAv mode and use the buttons on the lens for focusing.

Craigbob, I love the first image! What species of sparrow is it?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #1581
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only other option I could suggest would be the DA*300, but I found the SDM AF annoyingly slow and the reach not enough. It also tends to hunt in low light and there's no focus limiter. Coupling it with the HDDA 1.4x TC improves the reach but makes the hunting even worse. There's a focus limiter on the DFA 150-450 but I hardly ever use it because it focuses 95% of the time instead of hunting. Yes, the DFA lens is heavy, because it's really a FF lens. You can put the 1.4x TC on the DFA lens too, but it doesn't gain enough for me to make the loss of sharpness worthwhile.
Hmmm. OK. I have used the HDDA 1.4x TC quite successfully with my 100 macro. The images are incredibly clear. I was hoping for a similar result with the 150-450. Gotta try, right?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #1582
Pentaxian

The problem with using 'the highest possible shutter speed' is that you may loss any sense of what is keeping the bird air-born - sort of like catching a helicopter or airplane with no sense of propellers moving.
In any case, I've found that 1/500 is plenty for most birds.

06-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #1583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's going to be hard unless you can get closer. If you're shooting from a fixed location, a tripod will help to reduce motion blur. DXO Photolab works with the K3 (not yet with the K3iii) and has some excellent AI noise reduction on RAW. I find however that its JPEG engine tends to produce artifacts in subtle shades like sunsets. I mention it because it may help you use a higher ISO like 1600 to get a better shutter speed. The sort of settings I was using on the K3 was - spot focus AFS, centre weighted AE, aperture priority, auto ISO up to 1600, and I think you can also set the camera to bias for high shutter speeds. On APS-C, the DFA 150-450 is reasonably sharp wide open and gives really nice bokeh. Make sure that SR is on, of course.

The only other thing if you have enough light is to consider the HDDA 1.4x TC but honestly I don't use mine very much. It adds a little softness and creates a field of view which is very small. I am generally shooting hand held while I walk around rather than from a specific spot with a tripod. Maybe try camouflage clothes to see if you can get closer? It doesn't seem to help me much though!
Just downloaded the trial version of DXO Photolab. Apart from noise reduction, is there anything else I can try?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-17-2021, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #1584
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyejason Quote
It is rather heavy, but I hardly notice when I'm in hot pursuit of my subjects! It is more noticeable later, after I tire of birding, that the lens becomes something I lug around.

The trick is knowing when to stop.

Cheers,
Loyd
06-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #1585
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you for these concrete suggestions. I like to shoot in the early AM on sunny days. After 10AM, the colours are less vivid. I haven't tried the lens with the HDDA 1.4x TC yet. Now I'm curious.
I guess you'll get more colour saturation early in the morning, as well as less harsh shadows.

Hmmm. OK. I have used the HDDA 1.4x TC quite successfully with my 100 macro. The images are incredibly clear. I was hoping for a similar result with the 150-450. Gotta try, right?
Absolutely it's worth trying! It's an excellent teleconverter, not least because it's AF!

Just downloaded the trial version of DXO Photolab. Apart from noise reduction, is there anything else I can try?
I use it to correct lens distortion, crop, adjust the curves and saturation before noise reduction. I don't use it for any particularly detailed editing. Maybe someone else has more experience with it?
06-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #1586
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I've used my 55-300 in higher iso modes with excellent results, but on this outing I knew deep shadows and/or lots of deep tree shade that tends to lean more blue in the evening would be a potential issue. That coupled with wanting to control depth of field closer to the F5.6 to 6.3 range (I shoot mostly in TAV mode allowing the ISO to float) when looking for s specific target (Wood Ducks) in late evening predicated bringing the 150-450 instead of the 55-300. Not too much luck with the Wood Ducks that night, but the beavers were a bonus.
In 2014, I took my "Canon Elph" to the 'Madrigal Dinner' put on by the college where my wife worked.
After leaning over my shoulder, she whispered "Those aren't right"
Further whispering revealed that my images didn't show the colors she was seeing, because they had gone to considerable effort to turn a florescent-light student lounge into a candle-lit banquet hall.
I couldn't find any way of turning the "WB" off. so I purchased a Q-7 a few days later.
The "deep tree shadow" and bluish colors are is what is truly there - capturing them as part of the scene might give you a more realistic rendition of the scene .... unless you want to pretend it was photographed at noon.
06-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #1587
Pentaxian

It is rather heavy, but I hardly notice when I'm in hot pursuit of my subjects! It is more noticeable later, after I tire of birding, that the lens becomes something I lug around.

The trick is knowing when to stop.

Cheers,
Loyd
Probably too heavy for me.
Something in between this and a cheap consumer zoom would be better for me I guess. FF version please.
06-18-2021, 06:57 AM   #1588

Photos: Gallery

Dang! That bokeh! Nice shots!
06-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #1589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Craigbob, I love the first image! What species of sparrow is it?

Cheers,
Loyd
Loyd,

The 1st is a female house sparrow
The 2nd is a male House Finch
The third is a Hooded Oriole

---------- Post added 06-18-21 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
Dang! That bokeh! Nice shots!
Thanks.
06-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #1590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My DFA 150-450 with my K3III with battery grip weighs around 8 LBS. I use a Black Rapid double harness with one side removed. I sling it horizontally from my right shoulder. The only time I have trouble holding it is when I shoot upwards. I have a long Arca Swiss plate attached to the lens. On the end by the camera, I have the eye ring for the strap. Joe
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
Closed Thread