Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #196
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I just looked it up.

The left side of the chart is the center, going right further from the center. The side numbers are percentage of contrast, the higher the better, the different lines are lower and higher frequency lines on the chart.

The higher the better, the flatter the better.

It looks like the long zoom improves as it stops down at full extension. How that will translate into actual use I don't know. But it seems to be optimized for use long.

Comparing to the Sigmas, the 300mm zooms are known to be very sharp, it would seem to be pretty good. Again, we shall see in actual use.

I'm suspecting that my fears are being confirmed; this lens will be very sharp and will take away any reasons for me not to buy it. I still maintain hope that it sucks and removes that possibility.
Thank you for that, and others who contributed explanations - much appreciated.

Last edited by Cynog Ap Brychan; 02-05-2015 at 01:48 AM.
02-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #197
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That 3D printed FF prototype is very unusual for Pentax. What gives? All prototypes up to now have been made from the real material. This can mean two things:

1. The design is far from ready as if they started just yesterday;
2. They want to keep the competition in the dark as much as possible, without showing too little to the Pentax customers.

When the 645D was in the prototype stage it always looked like a finished product. Pentax could get away with that because in that field (middle format DSLR) there is almost no competition, especially not from Canon and Nikon. In the case of the FF however, secrecy is key. The 3D product as it is now probably won't trigger Canon and Nikon enough to take notice of Pentax. And who knows, the camera might show up sooner rather than later. It's all part of the plan to deceive Canikon and keep existing (and old) customers happy.
You do have to remember that the asthetics will probably be the final stage in development after they figure out all the hardware they need to get in it (I would guess most is done).

Also they did say "by the end of the year" so that still leaves them say another 6months development and 4 months to get it into production and shipped. (these are guestimates)
02-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #198
Site Supporter

it might be by the end of the year or it could be this time next year.
02-05-2015, 01:50 AM   #199
Site Supporter

I wondered whether the 3D print was for today's announcement, but a more polished mock-up might be under glass at CP+

Who knows?

02-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #200
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
it might be by the end of the year or it could be this time next year.
You dont by any chance have a connection to that youtube guy Frenchy SungaAttack?

One of the finest from the area? (warning NSFW - Language warning)
02-05-2015, 02:03 AM   #201
Site Supporter

Chaos Scott, sorry to disappoint you, but I am very pleased to say that I have no connection with them what so ever.
02-05-2015, 02:07 AM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Chaos Scott, sorry to disappoint you, but I am very pleased to say that I have no connection with them what so ever.
I think a decent portion of aussies would be in the same boat.

Anyway sorry for the derailment:

So about those new lenses eh?
02-05-2015, 02:12 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Aero Bright is for the internal lens surfaces (AFAIK it is the best of the three Pentax coating smc / HD / AB, but the most expensive and prone to scratch), HD is for external and SP is another layer on the external lens to repel dust and moisture

Somebody, please, correct me, if I am wrong
My understanding is that Aero Bright 1 was a fragile nano coating combined/on top of SMC
HD is a bonded/hard nano coating used by itself which is cheaper and better than SMC.
Aero Bright 2 is new Nano coat (probably HD) on top of SMC.

02-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #204
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote

So about those new lenses eh?
I am glad they are here, but out of my budget at present, maybe for later on, currently I am enjoying the smaller format and lenses, easy to carry. FF camera is in the budget now maybe in 24 months time. I do hope the 70-200 performs well compared to other brands, it will make a great difference in pentax perception.
02-05-2015, 02:28 AM   #205
Veteran Member

I dont mind if they use 3d printed parts during development. It will hold the price down.

And Im pretty glad I didnt sell my Voigtlander 180 / 4 now
02-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hopefully people will be happy, I'm much more looking forward to the K-50 replacement. FF is not my cup-of-tea, and I didn't think Pentax needs it/should do it. Proper mirrorless is the future, not trying to compete with the dinosaurs in the room.
People will never be happy. But I like being a dinosaur, and will probably buy this camera. (They still have many opportunities to mess it up.)

QuoteOriginally posted by spinach Quote
oh, a perfect reason to keep collecting m42 lenses
If they really wanted to make users of old glass happy they'd include not just an aperture feeler but also a pusher for M42 stop down. (I don't think you can put feelers for open aperture metering on modern M42 lenses in a K mount, but the stop down pin isn't in the same place as anything else.)
02-05-2015, 02:46 AM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
You dont by any chance have a connection to that youtube guy Frenchy SungaAttack?

One of the finest from the area? (warning NSFW - Language warning)
How Iggy Izagli should sound by Bazza & Wazza - YouTube
Noice!
02-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That 3D printed FF prototype is very unusual for Pentax. What gives? All prototypes up to now have been made from the real material. This can mean two things:

1. The design is far from ready as if they started just yesterday;
2. They want to keep the competition in the dark as much as possible, without showing too little to the Pentax customers.

When the 645D was in the prototype stage it always looked like a finished product. Pentax could get away with that because in that field (middle format DSLR) there is almost no competition, especially not from Canon and Nikon. In the case of the FF however, secrecy is key. The 3D product as it is now probably won't trigger Canon and Nikon enough to take notice of Pentax. And who knows, the camera might show up sooner rather than later. It's all part of the plan to deceive Canikon and keep existing (and old) customers happy.
The big difference is that I believe the FF will be released much faster than the 645D was. So they might not be able to show a prototype of the FF yet. (so they made a simple mockup)
I don't think Ricoh have been working on designing the FF camera for very long, and they plan to release it in less than a year from now.
645D was an ongoing project for more than 5 years before release (and was on hold for some time).

They might also want to show some info in early stage of the FF development to to prevent some existing users from jumping ship.
A mockup gives the message at bit more weight, than if only saying that they plan to release a camera at the end of the year.
02-05-2015, 03:16 AM   #209
Veteran Member

november? mmmm...with all the other brand announcing new model this year november should be a bit late....
02-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
So, are you guys gonna buy it when it comes out??
I will.

I don't believe that it will improve my photos (I do mostly landscape stuff) a whole lot, but new gear is new gear and as long as I can afford it and my wife is OK with it, I'll get one.