Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 10:34 AM - 3 Likes   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Size comaparison (tentative )

advantage, my little finger will no longer fall off.
True that.

That prism, btw, is a stroke of design genius, evoking great Pentax MF cameras of the past without aping them while simultaneously turning what is increasingly seen as a negative (bulky prism humps) into something promising and desirable (a big, bright, organic viewfinder).

Photographers of a certain age likely have a subconscious, Pavlovian, salivary reaction to just seeing it.

Well played, Pentax, well played.

02-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hot-linked from Butkus a source of User Guides for legacy (mostly film) cameras.

02-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #273
Forum Member

I finally got a chance to read the email from Ricoh Imaging about the two new lenses. I find it hard to get excited about the new 70-200 tele. zoom for several reasons. First off the price is about twice what I paid about two years ago for the comparable Sigma 70-200. Then, the weight is substantially greater - 50.4 oz. for the Sigma vs. 64.7 oz. for the Pentax puts it about 28% greater than the Sigma. Lugging that beast around for a day gets pretty old fast. Even the Sigma 180 macro that I purchased about the same time only weighs 33.3 oz. and that becomes a pain over a long day of shooting. Most of my photography is now either macro, landscape or garden photography, so anything larger that the 70 - 200 mm telephoto is just not needed for the bulk of what I shoot. Chasing birds, wild life or sports are just not anything I am interested in shooting.

As to the full frame camera, Ricoh needs to keep the dual slot system, but needs to make WiFi and GPS standard in the camera and not require that an additional accessory needs to be purchased. The dual slots need to be retained for the memory cards and still have the ability to use WiFi and/or GPS. While I will still consider purchasing the new camera, before spending the money, and I think it will be around $2,000 (US), I want to be able actually hold the camera and talk to the sales person. Ricoh has few dealers on the East Coast, the nearest dealer for me would be B&H and they are located in NYC. That means either getting on the train or driving up there and we are looking at a 3 -4 hour trip one way plus the cost of the round trip ticket and/or tolls and gasoline if I choose to drive there. That raises the cost of the camera substantially.

If I consider either a Nikon or Canon with similar features and price, I merely drive to Service Photo here in Baltimore and that is only about a 5 mile drive. And, I don't think there will be a stamped of people trading in their Nikon or Canon cameras for the new Pentax FF. For the pros it just is not feasible, both in the cost of glass and/or factory service in the event of a problem with either the camera or lens.

Jay
02-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #274

Weow! I hope (FF body) it'll perform and be out before september, it'll then be in my bag for the aurora/star stuff or general night shooting.

02-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
I finally got a chance to read the email from Ricoh Imaging about the two new lenses. I find it hard to get excited about the new 70-200 tele. zoom for several reasons. First off the price is about twice what I paid about two years ago for the comparable Sigma 70-200. Then, the weight is substantially greater - 50.4 oz. for the Sigma vs. 64.7 oz. for the Pentax puts it about 28% greater than the Sigma. Lugging that beast around for a day gets pretty old fast. Even the Sigma 180 macro that I purchased about the same time only weighs 33.3 oz. and that becomes a pain over a long day of shooting. Most of my photography is now either macro, landscape or garden photography, so anything larger that the 70 - 200 mm telephoto is just not needed for the bulk of what I shoot. Chasing birds, wild life or sports are just not anything I am interested in shooting.

As to the full frame camera, Ricoh needs to keep the dual slot system, but needs to make WiFi and GPS standard in the camera and not require that an additional accessory needs to be purchased. The dual slots need to be retained for the memory cards and still have the ability to use WiFi and/or GPS. While I will still consider purchasing the new camera, before spending the money, and I think it will be around $2,000 (US), I want to be able actually hold the camera and talk to the sales person. Ricoh has few dealers on the East Coast, the nearest dealer for me would be B&H and they are located in NYC. That means either getting on the train or driving up there and we are looking at a 3 -4 hour trip one way plus the cost of the round trip ticket and/or tolls and gasoline if I choose to drive there. That raises the cost of the camera substantially.

If I consider either a Nikon or Canon with similar features and price, I merely drive to Service Photo here in Baltimore and that is only about a 5 mile drive. And, I don't think there will be a stamped of people trading in their Nikon or Canon cameras for the new Pentax FF. For the pros it just is not feasible, both in the cost of glass and/or factory service in the event of a problem with either the camera or lens.

Jay
Or you could rent one for a day or so.
02-05-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jay - Try to be just a little more negative. Bolt Bus from Baltimore (picks up at Penn Station iirc) to Macy's on 6th ave, just a couple blocks from B&H, is $20 last time I checked. Even if that's one way, that's a $40 round trip plus say $15 for lunch plus you get to spend an afternoon in Manhattan. Practice your street shooting. Maybe even catch a matinee show on Broadway. Eat some good pizza.
02-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #277
Pentaxian

I read somewhere, "no external flash". What does that mean? Is there no flash shoe?
If so, that means the O-GPS can't be used, which pretty much means the GPS has to be built in. And what about astro-tracking, to build that one in as well they also have to add the compass. Or perhaps full framers don't do astro-tracking. So many questions, so much time.

02-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #278
Veteran Member

I guess I am the only one who's thinking that the best part of this may be an updated 17-28mm fisheye that has 9 aperture blades and is weathersealed. I love using my 10-17mm fisheye but the six blades are a real bummer for night shots when compared to the glorious 18-point starbursts coming off the Nikon fisheye. (Plus the optics could probably use a little updating.) Add weathersealing and I'll be ecstatic!
02-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I read somewhere, "no external flash". What does that mean?
Wasn't that from the machine-translated Spanish text? I bet it just means no built-in flash.
02-05-2015, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #280
Veteran Member

Here is a size comparison using the IR sensor window as reference:

The lower image compares new model with the K3's contour, based on the upper comparison, positioning new model and contour based on lens center.
Attached Images

02-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Here is a size comparison using the IR sensor window as reference:

The lower image compares new model with the K3's contour, based on the upper comparison, positioning new model and contour based on lens center.
Thanks for the possible size break down!

This looks to be a better looking, tougher Nikon D750, with possible the D810's sensor. Can't wait for more details.
02-05-2015, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #282
Veteran Member

Also, prototype shown (picture) is a 3D printed mock up... so anything could change!

Signs of 3# printing:

Everything is same color
All textures are identical
Metal things (as strap holder rings) show black and bigger than normal
Visible 3D printer "banding"
No visible separation of components where should be (top of camera and body leatherette)

Fine detail parts show lack of precision and burrs (look at Tv dial and ON/OFF switch)

This is a direct comparison between published picture of new FF camera and an actual K3 promotional picture.
Attached Images

02-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Wasn't that from the machine-translated Spanish text? I bet it just means no built-in flash.
Perhaps, but it did say " EMBEDDED FLASH : No EXTERNAL FLASH". I would guess that means there is a built in flash, but no flash shoe for an external flash. But it could just as well be the other way around.
02-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #284
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Perhaps, but it did say " EMBEDDED FLASH : No EXTERNAL FLASH". I would guess that means there is a built in flash, but no flash shoe for an external flash. But it could just as well be the other way around.
I think it's a safe bet that the FF camera will have a standard hot shoe - but probably no built-in flashgun.
02-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
the comparable Sigma 70-200
Is there such a thing?