Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jake21209 Quote
First off the price is about twice what I paid about two years ago for the comparable Sigma 70-200. Then, the weight is substantially greater
About the weight...it's a pro-grade lens, and no doubt built like a tank to survive years of use and some rough treatment. And featuring a pile of big glass elements inside - 19 elements / 16 groups. Hence some extra weight.

If you look at the weight breakdown, and don't include the tripod mount, maybe the lens looks less worrying

- 'Bare' lens approx 1755g /61.9 oz.
- With hood approx.1835g /64.7 oz
- With hood and tripod mount approx 2030g/71.6 oz.

I've lugged around the Sigma HSM II a lot (1400g) at all-day events. If you are using a monopod most of the time, another 500g is not a huge drama. As long as the lens performs great, and is reliable, many shooters won't begrudge the extra heft.

02-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The problem is that K-mount has a rather long registration distance, and isn't suited to mirrorless. Hence all the required dead space in the K-01. As the other manufacturers have found, mirrorless really needs an entirely new lens range. It's not just a matter of having small existing lenses.
Dead Space? You mean the 45.46mm snoot? Yeah, I'll buy it - but aside from that the interior of the K-01 is absolutely PACKED with electronics - a miracle of creative electrical engineering. Who is to say the XS concept can't be revived with a EVF when EVF's are ready?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-05-2015 at 03:32 PM.
02-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dead Space? You mean the 45.46mm snoot? Yeah, I'll buy it - but aside from that the interior of the K-01 is absolutely PACKED with electronics - a miracle of creative electrical engineering.
Is this where we revive talk about bellows?
02-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The problem is that K-mount has a rather long registration distance, and isn't suited to mirrorless. Hence all the required dead space in the K-01. As the other manufacturers have found, mirrorless really needs an entirely new lens range. It's not just a matter of having small existing lenses.
Good point, hadn't considered that. Certainly using the investment in the existing lenses makes a switch a very expensive proposition. In addition, Sony doesn't have the range at least yet.

---------- Post added 02-05-15 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is this where we revive talk about bellows?
No need to shout ;-) ... bellows ....

02-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #305
Site Supporter

I'm pretty confident Ricoh has good reasons to release a traditional, pro-level DSLR as their first 36x24 offering. They may not sell as many units as they would a MILC, but it positions THE BRAND as a serious player in the professional "small format" world. The mid-level and mirrorless options will almost certainly follow, and I suspect fairly quickly.
02-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the specifications revealed on the Spanish pentaxeros.com website are correct (they should be considered speculative at this time) it appears this camera targets D810 / D800e. asahi man says there is an entirely new SR system ('stabilization' is the word he used on the other Forum).
Of course,Body stabilisation,Great great great.

This is the biggest change in Technologie since a long time.

New stabilisation unit,complete new Motordrive and very good in price
It makes sense that the intermediate plan is to market more than one body.
In body stabilization was one of the big issues that one of the Pentax reps mentioned some time back. I was under the impression that they felt that they maynot be able to get it to work on full frame using the existing Kmount. Looks however they may have completely redesigned the IBIS system that works with full frame.

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Here is a size comparison using the IR sensor window as reference:

The lower image compares new model with the K3's contour, based on the upper comparison, positioning new model and contour based on lens center.
Thanks for doing this., give me an idea on a possible size comparison. Doesn't look that much bigger. Of course with an added flip out video screen the camera would be expected to have more depth.
02-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #307
Veteran Member

Question on DA Crop factor on FF

So how does the crop factor work on a FF if you are using the DA lenses. I have the 60-250 and 16-50 DA lenses and was wondering what to expect with the FF. Does the system just recognize the fact they are DA lenses and automagically go to whatever the equivalent sensor res will be for the ASPC area on the FF sensor?
02-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
In body stabilization was one of the big issues that one of the Pentax reps mentioned some time back. I was under the impression that they felt that they maynot be able to get it to work on full frame using the existing Kmount. Looks however they may have completely redesigned the IBIS system that works with full frame.
They only said it's something they have to work on, or something like that. Many read it as "can't be done", but...

02-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #309
Veteran Member

I already bought an A7 on Boxing Day and a K3 in November. In my case its too little too late. Something to look at a couple of years or so down the track. However, I'm glad I held on to my full frame lenses such as the Sigma 14/2.8, FA20/2.8, the Three Amigos, VL 180/4, the Takumars and so on.
02-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
So how does the crop factor work on a FF if you are using the DA lenses. I have the 60-250 and 16-50 DA lenses and was wondering what to expect with the FF. Does the system just recognize the fact they are DA lenses and automagically go to whatever the equivalent sensor res will be for the ASPC area on the FF sensor?
For example, on a Sony or Nikon this mode just crops the image, so you lose more than 50 percent of the pixels.
02-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They only said it's something they have to work on, or something like that. Many read it as "can't be done", but...
I would dare to say this issue will be addressed by a CF (custom function) where the body, upon recognition of a DA lens, automatically switches to cropped mode... 1: Auto, 2: Does not switch, 3: Always in FF mode and 4: Always in APSC mode.... or something like that.

Point is, such decision should be made by the photographer. Especially when considering the use of third party glass or vintage glass that will not transmit lens information. I bet many people will chose to use only the "sweet spot" of certain mid to long range glass, buy using APSC mode even though lens in use covers full frame.

You may ask why in hell someone would want to get APSC size images when they can get full frame... short answer: No need for the huge file! Besides, I am sure the body when switches to APSC mode, it will use a different set of image processing parameters to improve the APSC format and not just crop the leftover pixels from the full frame.
02-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #312

anyone know how much it will cost ??
02-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #313
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swampcat Quote
anyone know how much it will cost ??
Plenty. Start saving.
02-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #314
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't have time to look through all the threads to see if this has already been posted.

????????HD PENTAX-D FA? 70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW ???? !!! ?????? !!! - ??????????by????????

And this.

www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/used/2015/02/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mmf45-56ed-dc-aw.html

Pretty massive lenses!
02-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Don't have time to look through all the threads to see if this has already been posted. ????????HD PENTAX-D FA? 70-200mmF2.8ED DC AW ???? !!! ?????? !!! - ??????????by????????
Good one, I like the chart where they compare this lens to similar lenses from other brands. Looks like the Pentax one is competitive, at least according to the features we know about so far. Can't wait for optical, photo reviews.
Would be great if someone could translate this. I wonder what it says when comparing it to the FA* 80-200mm