Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
The final calculation in my last lens purchase was that it would/should work with a future FF body. I would be seriously miffed if it forced a crop when unnecessary.
They'd better, because if they don't someone will come up with custom firmware. This would be worth the effort.

I think Ricoh would be better off controlling the situation and providing it themselves. Then if someone wants to create custom firmware for video (assuming the hardware's up to it) or other special applications it's fine, but it doesn't need to become a mainstream practice.

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 05:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Wish the 150-450mm was a * lens too.
Do you really want to buy such a lens? It would have a faster aperture, but be heavier and cost over $4000. Remember how much the FA*250-600 is? This would be the Jr. version.

Last edited by DSims; 02-04-2015 at 06:22 PM.
02-04-2015, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

What's it with the viewfinder box - did they bury a Pharaoh in there?!
02-04-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

Can't wait to get my hands on this baby at CP+! (Hopefully it won't be under glass.)
02-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #124
Veteran Member

a few hours and 9 pages already! A unicorn is born! Pics! We need pics!!!

02-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
After the 70-200 now they only need to announce a D FA normal zoom and they have a full complement of FF lenses to support the camera at release.
And a wide-angle zoom, as someone else mentioned. For better or worse, they could have Tamron make both for them (since they've already designed them). And Sigma could be a possibility.

But in my opinion, Tokina or Cosina would give them the better products.
02-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Can't wait to get my hands on this baby at CP+! (Hopefully it won't be under glass.)
Pretty sure it will be under glass as it is too soon. When they say 'exhibition of a reference product' it means they are not ready to let you play with it yet.
02-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #127
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Probably will be. The mock-up in the photo is not a functioning prototype.

02-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
They'd better, because if they don't someone will come up with custom firmware. This would be worth the effort.

I think Ricoh would be better off controlling the situation and providing it themselves. Then if someone wants to create custom firmware for video (assuming the hardware's up to it) or other special applications it's fine, but it doesn't need to become a mainstream practice.

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 05:17 PM ----------

Do you really want to buy such a lens? It would have a faster aperture, but be heavier and cost over $4000. Remember how much the FA*250-600 is? That would be the Jr. version.
Custom firmware? Hahahahahaha. Nah. Not happening any time soon. Canon has a much bigger user base, and keeps re-using their processors. It would be nice if you could capture the full sensor regardless of the lens (manual override...), yes, you'll have to crop it later, it might not be as good at the edges, but maybe it sometimes allows you to get a bit wider... I can capture quite a bit more through composition adjustment with my 18-55 kit lens at 18mm, I'd say it's perhaps like a 24mm lens thanks to composition adjustment? Something like that...

This thing looks rather big. Relatively good looking though.

Hopefully people will be happy, I'm much more looking forward to the K-50 replacement. FF is not my cup-of-tea, and I didn't think Pentax needs it/should do it. Proper mirrorless is the future, not trying to compete with the dinosaurs in the room.

That being said, it looks like Ricoh is stepping on the accelerator... hard. K-S1, 3 new lenses, K-50 replacement, full frame camera, a K-3 successor is probably in the works too... can't wait for CP+. Ricoh must have put in quite some money when they took over Pentax, it has just taken them some time to come up with products.

Ps: Why do they show us a 3D printed prototype? Might as well show the 3D model...

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-04-2015 at 06:35 PM.
02-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #129
Forum Member

Aero Bright Coating II

Here are 2 links to the new lenses.

PENTAX - HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW

PENTAX - HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW

70-200mm Has a new lens coating:
Aero Bright Coating II
02-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Kenspo

The only piece of information I want to know is does the FF camera support screw drive lenses? I have many!

Please
If they announce it this way " Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function "
sure there are many DA lenses not SDM or DC driven.
02-04-2015, 06:50 PM - 3 Likes   #131
Imp
Pentaxian

New K-Unicorn

No Copyright infringement intended! Just something I Photoshopped to capture the moment!

I'm sure we'll see it on February eleventh!
Attached Images

02-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
And a wide-angle zoom, as someone else mentioned. For better or worse, they could have Tamron make both for them (since they've already designed them). And Sigma could be a possibility.

But in my opinion, Tokina or Cosina would give them the better products.
Pentax has traditionally been an optics company that makes good cameras to mount them on. Sure, they've used rebadges or co-developed lenses, especially in the last 15 years, but why on earth would Ricoh, at this time, want to feature someone else's designs, patents and profits?
02-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Pretty sure it will be under glass as it is too soon. When they say 'exhibition of a reference product' it means they are not ready to let you play with it yet.
May happen off the show floor, though, since I'm with a publication. On the other hand, our contacts with Ricoh Japan aren't great, so who knows.
02-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #134
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
No Copyright infringement intended! Just something I Photoshopped to capture the moment!

I'm sure we'll see it on February eleventh!
So. Much. Win.
02-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I never thought I should live to experience this ...

:-)

This: "Sensor system with reduced movement and rotation compensation system" Does it mean there is still in body SR but not as effective as what we are used to in K3 etc? That approach might have been necessary in order to keep size down or to make it work with existing lenses?

Bigger sensor --> more mass --> less efficient SR system.

Look at the Olympus OM-D cameras, with their ridiculously effective SR system. It is especially visible when using it for videos. The K-5 is not as good, but still good. Bigger, heavier sensor. The Sony A7 II is nowhere near the Olympus cameras, even though it should employ the same system.

3.2" TFT screen is a bit of a disappointment. Why not OLED at this point? More contrast, better viewing angles, stronger colors, thinner, tougher, ...

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-04-2015 at 07:08 PM.