Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #226

Was just about to switch to the D810. I love Pentax so will wait. About time!

02-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Exactly! Most of us were disappointed in the K-01 when it was announced but once I owned one I realized it was a beautiful machine. If the new FF is true to its long lineage, it will be a wonderful camera to work with.
I had never been disappointed by a Pentax before the K-01. Which I am replacing with an A6000. The EVP on this machine is not perhaps as good as optical, but it's pretty darn good, the autofocus is fantastic, it's almost a point and shoot size and the quality is fantastic for a camera you can put in your pocket. While I will probably buy the FF because of quality, I think an opportunity might have been missed to go mirrorless. If they don't put the software for automatic integration with social media to at least the same level as Sony has today, it will truly become a pro only and existing Pentax DSLR machine. BTW I think the pricing to match is the A7 series, not the huge Canon and Nikon machines. Seems Pentax has the mirrorless technology in other cameras, but does not want to bring it to the Professional or Enthusiast marketplace. The K-01 is a nice machine, but not a mainstream mirrorless camera, the consumer replied by not buying it.
02-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As asahiman alluded, DC ring motors (like those Pentax has patents for) come in all shapes, sizes and capabilities. The one on the 18-135 may not be the same motor they use for the 70-200, even if they share the same technology.
OK. Perhaps this is really the SDM 2.0 but because of the bad rap SDM has got, they have decided to call it DC like the cheaper versions.
02-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Finally... as many other have said .
Curious to see more of this thing . That pic is nothing but a huge teaser.

I just hope the AF/AF:C will be up there, above the rest.

02-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hate to be a party dimmer, but I believe that the prototype pic is90% accurate. Absolutely 3D printed (maybe off parametric or similar newer product). In addition the lugs appear to be part of the body (molded), IR treats are black, and I never saw (in my 57 years) a Pentax SLR/DSLR with the logo GLUED on by use of a sticker. I do believe it will come out by fall, same launch schedule. New lenses were launched (and will be sold in the spring) so folks have a more solid "commitment" that FF is on the horizon. Got to be 50MP or K-3 (and maybe +) will be the birder body leveraging crop and pixel density (Same as CaNikon)... I wonder if there is a bolt on coffee maker or smoothie blender in the offing?
02-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #231
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the new lenses are way too expensive for me.... i can image saving until next year to get the 150-450, but the pricing on the 70-200 doesn't make any sense at all. the current da*200 is $1000 less and has a better magnification ratio.... so does the da*300 for that matter, and they are both ff compatible. also, it looks like the 450 has no screw drive, (probably the same for the 70-200? so the new af system better be 100% reliable!

as for the ff camera, i don't care who i have to sell my soul to! nice to hear it has some sort of auto cropping for the non ff compatible lenses... i just hope is still has screw drive since the new lenses do not appear to.
02-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
If they don't put the software for automatic integration with social media to at least the same level as Sony has today, it will truly become a pro only and existing Pentax DSLR machine.
Look to the K-50 replacement for that stuff. Expect tighter tethering / studio integration in the Pro-level cameras, especially after the coming FW upgrades.

02-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
the pricing on the 70-200 doesn't make any sense at all
That is a high performance lens, with 19 elements (no in-lens SR!) from which 8 are special glass.
02-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Very good to see...a FF DSLR on the horizan and 150-450/ F 2.8 70-200 lenses.

For years I've been hoping for a 150-400...to...500 lens from Pentax. A couple of years ago, I went out and bought a new Sigma 150-500 lens having given up that Pentax would come out with a similar zoom.

Well they have. Very good.
02-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the HD 150-450 lens:

Apparently, some function(s) of this lens can only be used with the K3 (and future models?) according to this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287834-hd-pentax-d-...ml#post3143950

So, I am curious about using this lens on a "lesser" body such as the K5 or K5II/s .
Would it be an overkill to get this superzoom when not being able to use all functions of the lens ?

I will likely go for it anyway, when available, but for now I just want to get some opinions/educated guesses !

Cheers!
02-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I had never been disappointed by a Pentax before the K-01. Which I am replacing with an A6000. The EVP on this machine is not perhaps as good as optical, but it's pretty darn good, the autofocus is fantastic, it's almost a point and shoot size and the quality is fantastic for a camera you can put in your pocket. While I will probably buy the FF because of quality, I think an opportunity might have been missed to go mirrorless.
Mirror-less is a completely different market. From available statistics, the volume seems to be in FF right now. I don't know what resources Ricoh has right now, but if they wanted to enter the A6000 market, they could bring their K-50 and Q-S1 products together.
02-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Look to the K-50 replacement for that stuff. Expect tighter tethering / studio integration in the Pro-level cameras, especially after the coming FW upgrades.
I agree, sort of. I think if they do social media stuff they may put it in the K-FF just because it is already there for the K-70, but otherwise, just for that camera, no. However WiFi should still be there for tethering purposes and to send the photos to an editor while shooting.

Ricoh Pentax seem to have done a lot with these new cameras, so I'm mildly optimistic that they will get the software right this time. Fingers crossed.

@reh321: Mirrorless doesn't have to be compact entry level. It can also be pro, with reasonably big (--> ergonomic) cameras. There are also advantages to EVFs, especially when display and processor technology has improved. We are getting closer to a really good experience.
02-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Would it be an overkill to get this superzoom when not being able to use all functions of the lens?
Looking at the prices the K3 currently retails at, everyone who gets this lens should be able to afford a K3 to go with it Especially when one is willing to buy used, I assume quite a few people will part with their K3s in late 2015 to upgrade to the new FF or K3 successor.
02-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #239
Veteran Member

Apparently, some function(s) of this lens can only be used with the K3 (and future models?)
It's all just firmware - eg to help the camera work with the buttons on the lens barrel. Everything else will probably work fine - AF, exposure etc - on any digital Pentax.

Pentax could probably update the camera firmware for every Pentax from the K10 onwards to make them work fine with all the new lens gizmos, but I guess they may just limit their efforts to recent (and future) bodies.
02-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #240
Veteran Member

About the HD 150-450 lens:

Apparently, some function(s) of this lens can only be used with the K3 (and future models?) according to this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287834-hd-pentax-d-...ml#post3143950

So, I am curious about using this lens on a "lesser" body such as the K5 or K5II/s .
Would it be an overkill to get this superzoom when not being able to use all functions of the lens ?

I will likely go for it anyway, when available, but for now I just want to get some opinions/educated guesses !

Cheers!
I will probably buy one for my K-5IIs ... for me it's the IQ that's of paramount importance, not the rest of it.
I sold my K-3 as I wasn't that impressed to be honest but it may play very nicely with this lens so maybe it would be worth buying another at a later date.