Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You guys are correct on the MTF charts - here is an excerpt on the Luminous landscapes excellent article on Understanding MTF:

* or in our case, the dashed lines.
I think you meant to say the red lines are the 30 lpmm - that's what the legend shows.

I think the 150-450 performance looks great on paper, though aren't these charts missing aperture? I get that it's "wide open" and "stopped down", but I'd have expected f/8 markings on the "stopped down" chart.

To me the performance looks better than the 100-300/4, but I'm naive on how to infer more than the luminous post hints at.

02-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Look to the K-50 replacement for that stuff. Expect tighter tethering / studio integration in the Pro-level cameras, especially after the coming FW upgrades.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I agree, sort of. I think if they do social media stuff they may put it in the K-FF just because it is already there for the K-70, but otherwise, just for that camera, no. However WiFi should still be there for tethering purposes and to send the photos to an editor while shooting.

Ricoh Pentax seem to have done a lot with these new cameras, so I'm mildly optimistic that they will get the software right this time. Fingers crossed.

@reh321: Mirrorless doesn't have to be compact entry level. It can also be pro, with reasonably big (--> ergonomic) cameras. There are also advantages to EVFs, especially when display and processor technology has improved. We are getting closer to a really good experience.
That's the way I suspect it will be, anyway. Who really knows at this point?

But I do wonder whether professional photographers (even Wedding togs accommodatiing crazy brides) direct-post in-camera jpeg's to Instagram or Facebook or Twitter.
02-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
* or in our case, the dashed lines.
You mean the red ones; the dashed ones indicate meridional (as opposed to sagittal).
If I remember correctly, greater distance between the meridional and sagittal MTF curves indicates higher astigmatism, so it looks like the 150-450 may have more of that at the long end.

Another interesting thing to note is that the levels don't change all that much between the first and the second image in each pair (which I have to assume represent performance wide open and at f/8 respectively, in the absence of any other guidance), which would seem to indicate a fairly wide range of apertures that will give close-to-optimum sharpness.

But not having much experience with expensive telephoto lenses, I don't know how common that is in this class.
02-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
About the HD 150-450 lens:

Apparently, some function(s) of this lens can only be used with the K3 (and future models?) according to this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287834-hd-pentax-d-...ml#post3143950

So, I am curious about using this lens on a "lesser" body such as the K5 or K5II/s .
Would it be an overkill to get this superzoom when not being able to use all functions of the lens ?

I will likely go for it anyway, when available, but for now I just want to get some opinions/educated guesses !

Cheers!
Google translated section from this: ????????HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mmF4.5-5.6ED DC AW ???? !!! ?????? !!! - ??????????by????????

QuoteQuote:
- Even in camera firmware is not compatible with this product, out of KAF2 mount model, K-3, K-5Ⅱ / K-5Ⅱs, K-5, K-7, kx, Km, K20D, K200D, K10D FW Ver.1.30, when mounted on the K100D Super, AF at the lens drive, MF, quick shift focus, focus limiter is available.
- The firmware is unsupported camera, you can not be used following functions you want to use the AF button. The AF drive by: AF button/AF Cancel/focus preset mode
- Current compatible models only PENTAX K-3. To the time of the launch of a product, we are planning to release the firmware of the K-3 and K-S1.

02-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mirror-less is a completely different market. From available statistics, the volume seems to be in FF right now. I don't know what resources Ricoh has right now, but if they wanted to enter the A6000 market, they could bring their K-50 and Q-S1 products together.
The product function makes the market, not the product itself. If mirrorless has the functions, people will buy and the market share will move from DSLR to Mirrorless. e.g. Phone plus camera = smartphone, screen plus computer = tablet. People (all segments) but cameras for different purposes. Apple is the #2 camera manufacturer. I guess my point is, Pentax can be traditional and follow the market and its leaders, or they can try and break open markets by new technology. (As they did with the Spotmatic all those years ago). The first strategy is lower risk, at least in the short term, but it's not a leadership strategy.

---------- Post added 02-05-15 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
The product function makes the market, not the product itself. If mirrorless has the functions, people will buy and the market share will move from DSLR to Mirrorless. e.g. Phone plus camera = smartphone, screen plus computer = tablet. People (all segments) but cameras for different purposes. Apple is the #2 camera manufacturer. I guess my point is, Pentax can be traditional and follow the market and its leaders, or they can try and break open markets by new technology. (As they did with the Spotmatic all those years ago). The first strategy is lower risk, at least in the short term, but it's not a leadership strategy.
Having said all that I will likely trade my K3 for the FF unless someone figures out how to leverage the capabilities of my Pentax lenses on another body.
02-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #246
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I had never been disappointed by a Pentax before the K-01. Which I am replacing with an A6000. The EVP on this machine is not perhaps as good as optical, but it's pretty darn good, the autofocus is fantastic, it's almost a point and shoot size and the quality is fantastic for a camera you can put in your pocket. While I will probably buy the FF because of quality, I think an opportunity might have been missed to go mirrorless. If they don't put the software for automatic integration with social media to at least the same level as Sony has today, it will truly become a pro only and existing Pentax DSLR machine. BTW I think the pricing to match is the A7 series, not the huge Canon and Nikon machines. Seems Pentax has the mirrorless technology in other cameras, but does not want to bring it to the Professional or Enthusiast marketplace. The K-01 is a nice machine, but not a mainstream mirrorless camera, the consumer replied by not buying it.
Funny, but I did the same "replacement." I was actually kind of hoping that Pentax would leapfrog past the FF DSLR to something like the A7 Sonys crossed with the K01. However I'll take the new DSLR.

---------- Post added 02-05-15 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mirror-less is a completely different market. From available statistics, the volume seems to be in FF right now. I don't know what resources Ricoh has right now, but if they wanted to enter the A6000 market, they could bring their K-50 and Q-S1 products together.
With a K01 type mirrorless the two markets can merge. The biggest issue with most ML systems for serious users is the lack of lenses.
02-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's the way I suspect it will be, anyway. Who really knows at this point?

But I do wonder whether professional photographers (even Wedding togs accommodatiing crazy brides) direct-post in-camera jpeg's to Instagram or Facebook or Twitter.
Hm. I could imagine that some may do that... but more as a marketing thing. Like behind the scenes shots for their followers to drum up excitement or show that they are busy. "Having a great time shooting Mark and Sue's wedding" and then a more candid shot that may not find it's way into the final thing. I can totally see _some_ do that. Or perhaps photographers that shoot parties and events. Or when time is critical. "Oh my god! Obama just bitch slapped Putin!"

Might not be the thing that makes a pro buy the camera just cause of that feature, but would it hurt...? I'm of the opinion that if it is possible, it should be available. But I am of course aware that some people here want a much more focused product. A menu that lets users disable functions and the menu items for them would be great. i.e. you can turn off video (or change how many options are available, i.e. off, beginner, intermediate and pro), you can turn off WiFi, etc.

@GeneV: Makers of mirrorless systems are working on fixing that lens issue though. And if the market shifts towards mirrorless, even for pros, the companies that have a head start and have already built up experience and a nice lens lineup are at an advantage. Companies like Canon and Nikon will be the ones trying to catch up, and users will switch to brands that have established themself in the mirrorless arena.

02-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Hope this one Materializes...Hate to see this just like the K-1 on a glass display.
02-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are moments in life when words are simply inadequate:
Attached Images

02-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #250
Veteran Member

When I purchased my A6000 yesterday the camera rep is going to change his M9 for an A7. He rented one and with his Leica glass on it and says its better than the M9. This is from someone who has only used Leica for 30 plus years! The feeling of working with a smaller camera is interesting, and perhaps that (plus image quality) is one reason so many have stayed with the Leica brand. I regret selling the K-01 in many ways, I love the way it feels and it's so solid and the sensor is great of course. But it's slow/bad AF, no OVF, slow to write to cards and doesn't fit in a pocket as easily as the A6000. The final test, my wife could not use it in auto mode. It had to go.
02-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #251
Pentaxian

Never trust a salesman, he's trying to sell you something
02-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #252
Veteran Member

He did! ;-) And yes, I am waiting for the full frame, and hope it fits into my small go to bag that current fits the three amigos (FA 31,43,77) and my K3.
02-05-2015, 09:20 AM - 3 Likes   #253
Pentaxian

Size comaparison (tentative )

advantage, my little finger will no longer fall off.
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm. I could imagine that some may do that... but more as a marketing thing. Like behind the scenes shots for their followers to drum up excitement or show that they are busy. "Having a great time shooting Mark and Sue's wedding" and then a more candid shot that may not find it's way into the final thing. I can totally see _some_ do that. Or perhaps photographers that shoot parties and events. Or when time is critical. "Oh my god! Obama just bitch slapped Putin!"
For events photography I realized WiFi is becoming more and more important, as publicity-hungry brands are very time-conscious thanks to social media over the internet. Sometimes, being a second or so later than competition spells a difference in web traffic, and so on. There is a fellow photographer I know in my area who gets a lot of such events because he can upload "samples" quickly to clients, thus ensuring a more solid business calls from them. Being fast is essential too, nowadays, in addition to image quality.
02-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
With a K01 type mirrorless the two markets can merge. The biggest issue with most ML systems for serious users is the lack of lenses.
Canon had the right idea; an MILC based on current APS-C and a reasonably-priced adapter to allow seemless use of current lenses while they work on building a supply of native lenses.

But Canon blew it!! Their EOS-M had no EVF and apparently did not perform well out-of-the-gate.

Right now, MILC is not a big deal. It could become a big deal, and if I ran Pentax, I would use Q-family and K-family development to also (beside next camera in this line) develop technology needed to put an APS-C MILC on the market quickly if that market were to suddenly grow like many of us have been expecting. I choose to assume that they are doing that - it is their company, afterall - because no company is going to talk about products known not to be ready for primetime.