Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Size comaparison (tentative )

advantage, my little finger will no longer fall off.
Is the size comparison made by using the K mount as reference?

02-05-2015, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maaan...
I realy can't get over about this great news! It's already been a day, and now I can't sleep..! LOL!
I feel like I'm in a group chanting and cheering along with massive Pentaxians world wide..!

Last edited by richard balonglong; 02-05-2015 at 09:34 AM.
02-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Is the size comparison made by using the K mount as reference?

Nope , Can't see the mount on de model. I measured the shutter button and lined it up on the lens release button.
02-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon had the right idea; an MILC based on current APS-C and a reasonably-priced adapter to allow seemless use of current lenses while they work on building a supply of native lenses.

But Canon blew it!! Their EOS-M had no EVF and apparently did not perform well out-of-the-gate.

Right now, MILC is not a big deal. It could become a big deal, and if I ran Pentax, I would use Q-family and K-family development to also (beside next camera in this line) develop technology needed to put an APS-C MILC on the market quickly if that market were to suddenly grow like many of us have been expecting. I choose to assume that they are doing that - it is their company, afterall - because no company is going to talk about products known not to be ready for primetime.
Just because the vendor messes up with their product does not mean the market is not there. Pentax has a pretty complete line up in the DA range if they made an ASPC mirrorless camera, but not sure they could compete with Sony or others now who are gaining market share with mainly new users upgrading from the phone cameras. However, in the FF area, the market is still pretty wide open. Sony is getting a lot of time to refine their errors in FF as few are chasing them. Their product cycle seems much faster than others. Eventually, they will have a super product that is very small, just like they have in the ASPC space right now. Size does matter and it seems only mirrorless will provide the smaller format so many want. Having said all of that, the A6000 seems like it's made out of wood compared the metal weapons that are the K-01 or K3.

02-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Canon had the right idea; an MILC based on current APS-C and a reasonably-priced adapter to allow seemless use of current lenses while they work on building a supply of native lenses.

But Canon blew it!! Their EOS-M had no EVF and apparently did not perform well out-of-the-gate.

Right now, MILC is not a big deal. It could become a big deal, and if I ran Pentax, I would use Q-family and K-family development to also (beside next camera in this line) develop technology needed to put an APS-C MILC on the market quickly if that market were to suddenly grow like many of us have been expecting. I choose to assume that they are doing that - it is their company, afterall - because no company is going to talk about products known not to be ready for primetime.
But wouldn't it make sense to put out at least one body, even if it's not that great, so you can release lenses for it? Build up a lens line-up that is reasonable, and when technology has evolved to the point where MILC is superior to DSLR in most points they can release such cameras, and already have a decent list of lenses (that has been reviewed) on the market.

There was talks that Canon is actually working on a much more serious MILC camera that will come out like this year... basically the strategy I mentioned.

Pentax however IIRC said they won't be doing any mirrorless apart from the Q system.

That size comparison looks about right. I think a good indicator is the dial up front. It looks pretty similar, and if they can reuse that part, why not?
02-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The announcement of a FF Pentax has definitely cooled any desire I had for a 6D. I really like the ergonomics of a Pentax body vs the competition.
02-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #262
Veteran Member

For those who know much more about camera technology than I (>95% PF forum), would anyone hazard a guess as to how technologically likely it is for this camera to have to a fixed mirror that changes it's opacity as seemingly described in that patent?

02-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
But wouldn't it make sense to put out at least one body, even if it's not that great, so you can release lenses for it? Build up a lens line-up that is reasonable, and when technology has evolved to the point where MILC is superior to DSLR in most points they can release such cameras, and already have a decent list of lenses (that has been reviewed) on the market.

There was talks that Canon is actually working on a much more serious MILC camera that will come out like this year... basically the strategy I mentioned.

Pentax however IIRC said they won't be doing any mirrorless apart from the Q system.

That size comparison looks about right. I think a good indicator is the dial up front. It looks pretty similar, and if they can reuse that part, why not?
This discussion looks kind of like the m43 discussion on the mirror-less subforum.

I have done R&D for a small company - juggling my priorities trying to complete multiple projects. It isn't fun or necessarily productive. Ricoh has only so much in resources - people, machinery, and money. They already have three mounts - 645, K-mount, Q-mount. That is why I would look into trying to move existing projects in a direction that they could be repurposed if necessary, while still pushing improved products out the door.

But that is just me. As they say around here "I don't have a dog is this hunt".
02-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #264
Veteran Member

This discussion looks kind of like the m43 discussion on the mirror-less subforum.

I have done R&D for a small company - juggling my priorities trying to complete multiple projects. It isn't fun or necessarily productive. Ricoh has only so much in resources - people, machinery, and money. They already have three mounts - 645, K-mount, Q-mount. That is why I would look into trying to move existing projects in a direction that they could be repurposed if necessary, while still pushing improved products out the door.

It seems the lens roadmap is one key here. If they stay in the ASPC business I believe in the long run (not sure how long that is) that will go smaller and mirrorless. More stuff, smaller package, cheaper to make, more in software, more programmable. Pentax has traditionally build products to last, but there is a product cycle here that is separate to the lenses, which is most of our major investment. I agree they have to be careful not to cannibalize the medium format business, but 50mp FF will be the norm in a couple of years. Whether that is what is required or not is another thing.
02-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #265
Veteran Member

I agree, though it looks like Ricoh has invested quite a bit. 2 new cameras soon? 3 new lenses? What has happened to the a camera a year Pentax that I used to know?

As for the mirror... I suppose it could be done, though the main reason to use it would be to do something like the DSLT cameras Sony used to make. But they did that so they had PDAF with an EVF. These days you can simply put the PDAF sensor onto the imaging sensor, so... Another use case could be to improve the AF/MF performance. Basically you could either let more light get to the AF sensor when it is too dark, so the AF can still get a fix (but the viewfinder would basically be black), or redirect all the light into the viewfinder for a brighter viewfinder, like the ones used in the pre-AF days. Using this tech to eliminate the mirror movement seems less likely, because behind the mirror sits the PDAF sensor. If you were to do it, you can't have a dedicated PDAF sensor but would have to use one that sits on the image sensor. That one has to be smaller I believe, so it isn't as light sensitive in the first place. Basically the OVF would go dark when you want to focus, because the AF needs the light.

Finally it might be possible to put a transparent screen somewhere in the OVF (covering all of it). It can be used to overlay information, like with Nikon DSLRs, just much fancier. Then underneath the mirror perhaps a white OLED light panel which can act as a backlight for the screen when you are in live view mode. AF would be a problem again, and light leaks, etc. The chance of this happening is 0%, though I would like it if they can fix the AF.
02-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Looking at the prices the K3 currently retails at, everyone who gets this lens should be able to afford a K3 to go with it Especially when one is willing to buy used, I assume quite a few people will part with their K3s in late 2015 to upgrade to the new FF or K3 successor.
Yeah ... I had not thought about getting a "slightly" used K3 ! (without the machine gun issue though)
That would make sense !

---------- Post added 02-05-15 at 12:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's all just firmware - eg to help the camera work with the buttons on the lens barrel. Everything else will probably work fine - AF, exposure etc - on any digital Pentax.

Pentax could probably update the camera firmware for every Pentax from the K10 onwards to make them work fine with all the new lens gizmos, but I guess they may just limit their efforts to recent (and future) bodies.
That would be fine with me then.
Whether Pentax will opt to update its firmware(s) to accommodate the new lenses on "older" bodies remains to be seen.

---------- Post added 02-05-15 at 12:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I will probably buy one for my K-5IIs ... for me it's the IQ that's of paramount importance, not the rest of it.
I sold my K-3 as I wasn't that impressed to be honest but it may play very nicely with this lens so maybe it would be worth buying another at a later date.
Seriously ? You sold the K3 in favour of the K5IIs ?
I'll have to ask you about how it performs with the new lens(es) later when you get one! (or both? )
02-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #267
Pentaxian

Add up the cost of everything on this page.....
02-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
what No WIFI or scene modes--how could they just hope 150-450 comes out before summer--2015 that is
now time for a new thread---Do we really need a FF from Pentax??
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
what No WIFI or scene modes--how could they just hope 150-450 comes out before summer--2015 that is
now time for a new thread---Do we really need a FF from Pentax??

Hmmm.... I bet there are a lot of specs yet to be announced, but as for WIFI, I would dare to say this new flagship will not have it (built in), but it will be available as an add on device (like the GPS thingie for the K3...). The point is, WIFI protocols are improving every day and changing a lot. Most of the WIFI hardware regularly used a year ago, now is obsolete and needs replacement for newer wireless protocols. I wouldn't want my brand new, pro level, full frame body.... become obsolete just because it cannot handle next generation WIFI protocols.

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
..... the current da*200 is $1000 less and has a better magnification ratio.... so does the da*300 for that matter, and they are both ff compatible. .....
Are you sure about this. Both the DA* 200 and 300 are full frame compatible?

Last edited by rburgoss; 02-05-2015 at 11:12 AM.
02-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Hmmm.... I bet there are a lot of specs yet to be announced, but as for WIFI, I would dare to say this new flagship will not have it (built in), but it will be available as an add on device (like the GPS thingie for the K3...). The point is, WIFI protocols are improving every day and changing a lot. Most of the WIFI hardware regularly used a year ago, now is obsolete and needs replacement for newer wireless protocols. I wouldn't want my brand new, pro level, full frame body.... become obsolete just because it cannot handle next generation WIFI protocols.
I disagree. It takes many years between different WiFi specs, and it's all downwards compatible. Until recently n was used everywhere and the most up-to-date technology, now it is ac, but n is still widely available. As an add-on? You mean those SD cards? You are then limited to small, not very fast SD cards, and the WiFi speed of those is very bad, like what you'd expect of a WiFi connection from 10 years ago. If you want something modern and fast, it has to be built in properly.
02-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #270
ogl
Banned

Some of new buttons and functions of new lenses will be work only on K-3 and K-S1 via new firmware. FF camera will be 100% compatible.
Old camera (which could work with KAF3 lenses) will work with new lenses, but some of functions will be unable to work

Last edited by Parallax; 02-05-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Prefaced with rude comment