Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #316

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
If they really wanted to make users of old glass happy they'd include not just an aperture feeler but also a pusher for M42 stop down. (I don't think you can put feelers for open aperture metering on modern M42 lenses in a K mount, but the stop down pin isn't in the same place as anything else.)
i don't mind opening up for composition and focus before stopping down for metering -- i've gotten pretty used to it by now, between the k1000 and k-01 i use it on.

02-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
this mode just crops the image
QuoteQuote:
this mode just optionally crops the image
Fixed that for you.

That's what happens with every single FF system that implements a crop mode. Pentax will also no doubt make it optional.
02-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #318
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Fixed that for you.

That's what happens with every single FF system that implements a crop mode. Pentax will also no doubt make it optional.
Sure. I'd never buy it otherwise.
02-05-2015, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #319
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad I invested in these before their production in K-mount was stopped...

02-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
When I purchased my A6000 yesterday the camera rep is going to change his M9 for an A7. He rented one and with his Leica glass on it and says its better than the M9. This is from someone who has only used Leica for 30 plus years! The feeling of working with a smaller camera is interesting, and perhaps that (plus image quality) is one reason so many have stayed with the Leica brand. I regret selling the K-01 in many ways, I love the way it feels and it's so solid and the sensor is great of course. But it's slow/bad AF, no OVF, slow to write to cards and doesn't fit in a pocket as easily as the A6000. The final test, my wife could not use it in auto mode. It had to go.
I had the same spousal issue with the K01. She didn't like it. She liked the Panny LX7. She likes the A6000.

The fact that I can put my 40 or so Pentax lenses and the Zeiss lenses from my wife's old Contax on the A6000 does help with the lack of lenses for the Sony. My dream Pentax mirrorless would allow the use of K mount lenses with full AF, but would allow the mount or adapter to be removed, allowing adapters for all kinds of lenses. This is essentially what Sony did when it made an adapter for the E mount which allows A Mount (DSLR) lenses to be used with AF.
02-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #321
Veteran Member

????????HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mmF4.5-5.6ED DC AW ???? !!! ?????? !!! - ??????????by????????

I don't know if this was posted, sorry if it was. There are a lot of pictures of 150-450 that many of us would be interested in seeing.
02-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a K-3 delivered the day before yesterday; because a full frame was not announced at the last big show. I am p.o'd.

02-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Perhaps, but it did say " EMBEDDED FLASH : No EXTERNAL FLASH". I would guess that means there is a built in flash, but no flash shoe for an external flash. But it could just as well be the other way around.
The embedded flash part has a :, so what follows belongs to that. No embedded flash.

As for being third... That is optimistic. I think Samsung will be third eventually. They have a ton of money. Great engineers. A brand that is recognized by consumers. Big marketing budget. Seems dedicated to the photography sector. A good reputation for photos and videos would help them sell phones too. They develop and manufacture all major components for a camera. The sensor. The processor. The displays. The EVFs. And are usually class leading. I remember an interview with JVC and Samsung, and they talked about how great HEVC is, but that it is currently impossible to create an encoder for mobile devices. They produce professional video gear and can't do it. The Samsung guy didn't say anything, wrong department I guess. He could have said that they managed to do it already.

Sony is also a good contender, but financially not so strong.

Pentax depends on Samsung or Sony for their parts, so that immediately leaves them at disadvantage.
02-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #324
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Pentax depends on Samsung or Sony for their parts, so that immediately leaves them at disadvantage.
That said Pentax have been able to take the tech from the above companies and tweak to milk more performance out of it. Plus they are in the situation where they are not stuck using one or the other. Sony engineers would get the boot right pronto if they tried to put a samsung sensor in their cameras & same goes for samsung.
02-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #325

You pentax people better start to visit gym, because this two lenses are huge. They are considerably heavier than Canikon lenses. I was using Canon 70-200 f2,8 II IS on some occasion and it is not light at all, but this one from Pentax weights another 25% more.
My friend said yesterday, Pentax has SR in body for free, but charges that on every lens separately.
02-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
You pentax people better start to visit gym, because this two lenses are huge. They are considerably heavier than Canikon lenses. I was using Canon 70-200 f2,8 II IS on some occasion and it is not light at all, but this one from Pentax weights another 25% more.
My friend said yesterday, Pentax has SR in body for free, but charges that on every lens separately.
I like the gym
02-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #327
Veteran Member

I carry my k-3 with battery grip and Tamron 70-200 with one hand on the side. I think I'll be fine.
02-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I forgot to ask in my earlier post: Does this officially mean Pentax isn't doomed any more?
We still have only a mockup camera and two lenses that are not availbale yet. The specs of the 70-200 are not impressive, quite heavy, maybe a little less than the Canon/Nikon, but what makes Pentax FF special compared to others these days? Pentax stands for small cameras with great/unique features and a bunch of small fixed focal length lenses. In camera SR and weather sealing are important as well.

There is only a single D-FA lens availbale right now, two more to come. The FA line is suffering from early 90's design... Pentax is not there yet.

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 07:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ironwolf50 Quote
I had a K-3 delivered the day before yesterday; because a full frame was not announced at the last big show. I am p.o'd.
FF was obvious to come and is not here yet. The real camera will show up early 2016 and requires many more lenses to actully make people happy.
Would you rather wait for another year to pay double for a camera with less lenses available? K3 is still a nice camera if you want full frame right now, buy somewhere else.
02-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #329
Veteran Member

Wow, negative much?
02-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The specs of the 70-200 are not impressive
The MTF charts of the 70-200mm f/2.8 are very impressive - if they are accurate, this lens will give Canon, Nikon and Sigma a new standard to meet. IF it performs well who cares if it is a bit on the heavy side - it looks very solidly built, which is great.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
There is only a single D-FA lens availbale(sic) right now, two more to come. The FA line is suffering from early 90's design... Pentax is not there yet.
Canon is still producing lenses that have optical designs that date from the late 70s, Nikon also have a few lenses that are based on designs from that era too. Pentax still has quite a few unique FA lenses that will provide excellent image quality on a FX format sensor - let us not forget the excellent trio of FA limited lenses.