Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D samples up on Imaging ressources

You can now use the Comparometer with sample images from the K20.

FWIW.

Pentax K20D Digital Camera Samples - First Shots - The Imaging Resource!

05-30-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

hmmm,the sample shots resemble that it's more noisy than the canon 40d
05-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I think it would be fairer to compare the image quality of the K200D against the Canon 40D as they are both 10MP.

I looked at the still life shots from the 2 cameras in the comparameter at 100 ISO and 1600 ISO - to my eyes the K200D smokes the 40D @100 ISO. The 40D appears to have significant in camera noise reduction - take a look at the full versions of each photo in particular the salt and pepper shakers. In the K200D shot I can make out the individual salt crystals on the 40D shot the salt crystals looks like white mush.
Then look at the samples of wool again far more detail in the K200D.

1600 ISO is a different story, the Pentax pic is quite a bit noisier but again look at the salt & pepper shakers and the wool - far more detail in the Pentax and I would much rather have that detail and PP the noise than the soft mush from the canon.

Now I know the canon shoots at 6.5 frames per second and blah blah blah blah but it costs $500 more and I would rather have 3 decent quality shots over 6 mushy ones anyday of the week..
05-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Now I know the canon shoots at 6.5 frames per second and blah blah blah blah
FYI, it's down to $900 after rebate in the US. Canon's getting pretty aggressive w/ pricing now.
The 40D's strengths are sports and low light shooting and their CMOS implementation is known for having a lot of NR...

05-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vlad Quote
hmmm,the sample shots resemble that it's more noisy than the canon 40d
Then look at the EXIF data. Pentax sharpening hard contrast high!!!
05-31-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Well, that's the default jpeg setting I think (bright): high contrast, saturation and sharpening= high noise.

Also I think there is a problem with the lens (centering defect?): on some pictures, some areas are sharp and someother look oof...
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
LOL, thanks for the link. I found it interesting to see how images from various cameras compared against each other. The > iso 800 images from K20D do seem noisier than the 40D / D300. I am surprised by this because of all the reports of the excellent high ISO performance of the K20D, including the recent one by Marc (35mmm film_user). Steve does say it was due to setting the sharpening and contrast at a high level on the K20D - does that make such a big difference ? If so, Imaging Resources should have probably used a setting that would have better reflected the true high iso performance of the K20d.

I am a K100D user looking to upgrade some time later this year. Would appreciate if someone could clarify if the reason the K20D images look noisier in the 'comparometer' is because of a setting that was not optimal.

Thanks for any clarifications - I just want to make sure when I test a K20D in a store, I am (inadvertently) not using settings that tilt the scales against the K20D!