Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k10d and k100d dissed by consumer reports

the latest consumer reports magazine (of which i've subscribed to for eons) has placed the k100d and k10d at the bottom of the respective barrels in their latest review ratings..... i've lauded their auto reviews for years, but have somewhat skeptical concerning their camera reviews....
i find them lacking in dissmeninating detailed test results and still wonder how
scientific their analysis is.... they do mention (briefly) their new diagnostics, but
my intimation is that the dslr reviews are thumbnail sketches at best..... a disservice to those who may rely too much on their reviews....
perhaps i'm a bit too overprotective, (being a long time pentax film and now k200d proud papa), but other formal review sites offer more detailed, accurate reviews..

05-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I want a review of dish soap, I'll go to CR, but that's about it. I have been a subscriber since the dawn of time, but you have to make a decision based on your criteria, not theirs. From an audiophile there stereo reviews are a joke (as an example) .
05-30-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i've emailed my friends at cr, and expressed my displeasure at what i feel is their cursory review(s)..... by the way, your soligor lens, what's you impressions of this lens...
regards, dave m
05-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This morning I quickly scanned the current CR issue, another digital camera test. Jumped to the ratings, and *no surprise* the two Pentaxes were each at the bottom of their respective SLR rankings. Didn't have time to look further.

In general, CR's coverage of digital cameras is doubly poor: they tend to recycle old tests and for new cameras they seem to be one model generation behind usually. That's aside from their methods and standards.

The main useful bit for me has been their actual battery life tests with the point and shoots.

05-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've noticed that on any test I know much about CR makes some pretty weird choices on what to recommend. Cameras, cars, whatever. I'm a little shocked about this though. Typically CR picks the best "value for the dollar" regardless if its something anyone knowledgeable about the subject would bit. Pentax is clearly ahead of the big makers on value for the dollar. I'm curious what was the basis for putting them at the bottom.
05-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, what would you expect. I became a total non believer in their rating when is was discovered that they hacked out their reviews to agencies outside their own office. There reviews where found to be influenced by third parties and erroneous in many cases. Further, some of the subjects they were required to test they did not even test, though they reported test results on them non the less.

I have totally blown off wht they have to say. if you want reviews today, there are so many internet forums and feedback ratings that you can actually see the pros and cons of something you want with more real use details than any CR article could ever deliver.

BTW, it is soooooo.... interesting to see the K10D.... camera of the year (from numerous sources) become a bottom dweller or bottom feeder in this review. If that, in and of itself, does not show the uselessness of the rating system, I don't know what does.

Stephen
05-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i've read a lot of CR because my dad subscribes to it, although i haven't seen this one yet.

with all the testing they do, it would be better if they wrote more about their tests. instead, most tests of products are some general comments followed by their "red circle" rating and then some kind of percentage score. they should spend more time showing results of their test sand make the magazine more comprehensive. it's a waste of all their testing to reduce all the results to a half red circle.
05-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

I believe I have posted with this story before - so here goes a repeat.

Back when I was shooting Fujica 35mm SLR's they came out with the ST-901. An aperture prefered SLR that had LED speed read outs in the viewfinder. One, if not the first, to use LED's in the viewfinder (digital readout). The ST-801, my first SLR, had LED's instead of a match needle in the viewfinder.

In the manual for the ST-901 it stated that while the shutter speed readout was using the closest approximation to the 'standard' shutter speeds, the shutter speed was electronically controled and basically infinitely variable. In other words, the display was a good round up/down approximation - so the photographer get basic information (shutter speed = 20 sec to 1/2000 --- display was -20, -15, -10... 1, 2, ... 25, 50, 100, 125, 160, 200 250... 2000 sort of ASA steps)

To cut to the chase, CR bitched to high heaven that the numbers in the LED's did not correspond to the actual shutter speed values. They gave it a lowest of the low rating - I bought it because I needed another body (change bodies - not film) before the CR article.

Simply put CR does not even read the manual, they just blunder along. I have not read them in 30+ years and I refuse to do it now. They are a joke.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

05-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Lets see, CR does car reviews based on self-assessment surveys with no control questions. THe net result is a "good" car might be good, or might just have a better than average dealer network and relaxed warranty claim handling. They also don't correct for sample population. The entire survey is a rnadom sample, but the fact it may have 100 hondas, and 5 of something doesn't get weighted as far as I could tell.

Their audio gearreviewing was also increadibly insane. The stuff they reviewed was damn near impossible to find in the US market, WAY overpriced, and didn't sound as good as stuff costing less and readily available.

My mom used to get their magazine for YEARS. In that time i read it a lot and made purchases based on information in it. Of all the things I bought, I agreed with their assessment exactly ONCE. It was for blank audio cassettes, and basically they said 9 out of the 10 they tested were good, but two were slightly better. I had come to a similar conclusion with regards to the 4 brands I could actually purchase from the review.

However, vaccuume cleaners, window air conditioners, cars, monitors, computers, stereo components, speakers, headphones, blank CD media, etc. I've pretty much had to disagree with them about both what is the best, and their ratings of specific brands.
05-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I quit paying any mind to their reviews many years ago when they said the Chevy Nova with the 6 cyl. engine was a car to stay away from. We drove our 73 for over 300K miles and it still was running when we finally got sick of it and retired it. CR rates a lot of products on flashy features and pay no mind to important things like reliability and durability. If I am looking for a product review, CR is the last place I would look. Actually, I wouldn't look there at all.
05-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I have never taken stock in CR. In fact I would rather go out and do my own thinking and research. It's a real shame that people put so much stock in what they say.
There are so many other magazines that write a review and have done the research and give way better information.
I have owned Pentax cameras most of my life I have never needed some one to tell me that my choice was wrong because of some test. I've used Nikon and Canon and for what it's worth They are good cameras and have many good qualities. I just can't see paying for a name plate when I can get the same results (Or the results that make me happy) from another product.
When I went looking for a digital camera I tried every brand I could find I pitted them against each other and then took into consideration what my needs were, what I shoot, and how I shoot. All would do fine some had more than I needed. But the real point of buying came down to what felt good in my hand. Pentax fits the bill.
I could not see buying into another system paying three times the price for camera and lenses just to have a name plate.
Yes there are some things that people think are more important in a camera, but if they really took a look at what their needs are and matched those needs to the system than they would have the system and the camera that best suits them.

Rule #1 Never buy with out knowing what your needs are.

Rule #2 Never buy on impulse.

Rule #3 Never buy with out handling and seeing the way it fits in your hand.

Rule #4 Never buy because it is the most expensive or has the most bells and whistles.

Rule #5 Never expect to satisfy some one else with your choice.

Rule #6 If it satisfies you, and it feels right, and the price is right for you, Never look back and question yourself.
05-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #12

Some people tend to like CR when it confirms their thoughts on certain types of products and dismiss it when it doesn't on other product types. IMO its very heavily flawed no matter what type of product it is reviewing.
06-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #13

Glad to find this post. I was in disbelief at the article. Not even a mention of either Pentax model just a score.

All I have to say is that the K10D might not do everything perfect, but it does most everything very well. And it is the sum of the whole that makes me love my K10D.
06-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have cancelled my subscription. FU CR

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Well, what would you expect. I became a total non believer in their rating when is was discovered that they hacked out their reviews to agencies outside their own office. There reviews where found to be influenced by third parties and erroneous in many cases. Further, some of the subjects they were required to test they did not even test, though they reported test results on them non the less.

I have totally blown off wht they have to say. if you want reviews today, there are so many internet forums and feedback ratings that you can actually see the pros and cons of something you want with more real use details than any CR article could ever deliver.

BTW, it is soooooo.... interesting to see the K10D.... camera of the year (from numerous sources) become a bottom dweller or bottom feeder in this review. If that, in and of itself, does not show the uselessness of the rating system, I don't know what does.

Stephen
07-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #15

I read on an audiophile board that the general feeling is that CR rankings have a good, reliable, inverse relationship with true quality.

I used to subscribe to them back in the 70s, but they screwed up so many reviews that I canceled. I still check them out occasionally when I don't know anything about a product and want a little familiarization, but don't put too much stock in how they rank products. One problem I found was they often put emphasis on features that I don't particularly find valuable, and skip features I really need or value highly.