Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #16
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
Please.... add viewfinder to it and sharp-from-the-start f/1.8 lens!
It couldn't be pocketable with VF and 1.8 lens.

02-06-2015, 04:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A collapsible lens and an EVF like the RX100III or Panasonic LX100 would be pocketable.
02-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A collapsible lens and an EVF like the RX100III or Panasonic LX100 would be pocketable.
The LX100 is huge compared to the GR. Have both. Will try to post pics
02-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It couldn't be pocketable with VF and 1.8 lens.
The f/1.8 lens might be a problem. The A6000 has an EVF, and I would have easily stuck it in my pocket if I hadn't been concerned about how the Best Buy security folk would react.

02-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Ugh. I really don't need to be tempted to spend more money this year. However, the closer that Ricoh can get to the GR1s (with a viewfinder) the happier I'll be.
Phase-detection added to AF (like the GRDIII and back) yes PLEASE.
Touch screen. Heck no - PLEASE don't give me touchscreen. GR is about analogue control, not a battery-sucking unneeded "convenience".
I hope very little changes, but rather as has always been the case in the line's evolution, subtle refinements only.
02-07-2015, 03:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
The LX100 is huge compared to the GR. Have both. Will try to post pics
Yes, I know. I was referring to the built-in EVF, not the body size.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 02-08-2015 at 01:27 PM.
02-08-2015, 05:03 AM   #22
Banned

Film age GR1s had a tiny little peep hole. Today's GR has a 3" LCD screen.
And some still want a peeping hole? Peeping hole is so inferior a solution for shooting with a camera like the GR of any kind it's incredible. Low angle, high angle, side angle, etc. are all possible with a LCD and were totally impossible with a film GR.
02-08-2015, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An f/1.8 lens on APS-C would be as large as the 35/2 on the Sony RX-1.

End of pocketable. Price double.

The newer EVF on the Sony RX100 Mk3 is a lousy.

02-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Film age GR1s had a tiny little peep hole. Today's GR has a 3" LCD screen.
And some still want a peeping hole? Peeping hole is so inferior a solution for shooting with a camera like the GR of any kind it's incredible. Low angle, high angle, side angle, etc. are all possible with a LCD and were totally impossible with a film GR.
I tried outdoor shooting with my Q, yesterday, in an Outback place not unlike your Walkabout Creek. That lovely big LCD screen was pretty close to useless, in spite of deploying all the shading techniques short of putting a black cloth over my head. I would have been very pleased to have a tiny peep-hole to peer through. Mounting an OVF in the hotshoe was the only way to get anything like a composed shot. Let's not get too worked up over this: the number of new high-end compacts appearing with EVFs is telling us that people are finding their lack has been a problem.
02-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #25

I have both Q-S1 and GR. I'm not technically minded, so cannot explain why, but the GR screen always seems fine to use no matter what the weather (although, I admit, UK sun is rarely the brightest!). The Q isn't always to easy to see. Two very different cameras, but I find the GR perfect, even without VF.
02-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I tried outdoor shooting with my Q, yesterday, in an Outback place not unlike your Walkabout Creek. That lovely big LCD screen was pretty close to useless, in spite of deploying all the shading techniques short of putting a black cloth over my head. I would have been very pleased to have a tiny peep-hole to peer through. Mounting an OVF in the hotshoe was the only way to get anything like a composed shot. Let's not get too worked up over this: the number of new high-end compacts appearing with EVFs is telling us that people are finding their lack has been a problem.
I suspect you had already checked the screen brightness setting - but some may not be aware of this. I've found with screen brightness cranked up and a baseball cap for shade, it's usable even here in sunny Nevada USA. But I'm exremely near-sighted, so often will lower my glasses and hold the Q close to my eyes (within inches) where I can see just fine without glasses. The cap makes a perfect shade for that usage.
02-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

This seems to be becoming a perpetual discussion here - there are some, even some who live in bright sunny areas, who are absolutely satisfied with their LCDs, and others of us who just cannot function under those circumstances. I bought my Q7 only after I located an enlarging hood that I could attach to the LCD and create the equivalent of an EVF. I believe that various Ricoh-Pentax cameras would sell better if they took needs of someone like me into account, but that would also increase the cost of the product.

It is their company, so they get to decide what they will offer. I get to decide how I will respond.
02-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I suspect you had already checked the screen brightness setting - but some may not be aware of this. I've found with screen brightness cranked up and a baseball cap for shade, it's usable even here in sunny Nevada USA. But I'm exremely near-sighted, so often will lower my glasses and hold the Q close to my eyes (within inches) where I can see just fine without glasses. The cap makes a perfect shade for that usage.
Thanks, and I did have the screen brightness cranked right up, and even though I wear a hat on very bright days (which should be even better than a baseball cap) the glare from the Australian sun in the middle of the day is just overwhelming.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This seems to be becoming a perpetual discussion here - there are some, even some who live in bright sunny areas, who are absolutely satisfied with their LCDs, and others of us who just cannot function under those circumstances. I bought my Q7 only after I located an enlarging hood that I could attach to the LCD and create the equivalent of an EVF. I believe that various Ricoh-Pentax cameras would sell better if they took needs of someone like me into account, but that would also increase the cost of the product.

It is their company, so they get to decide what they will offer. I get to decide how I will respond.
Indeed. I know this discussion does drag on, and provokes some hostility when it gets brought up, but there's no getting away from this limitation of an unshaded LCD in very bright sunlight. Until a screen manufacturer can provide a layer of something approaching carbon black on an LCD, it isn't going to go away. I love my Q, just not outdoors on bright days.

Returning to the GR, I understand that the current version has the same LCD arrangement as the K-3 and K-5II/s. That same sun blinds my K-3 almost as badly as my Q, in LiveView, so I can't imagine the GR would be any better.

Still, it's not all bad: the GR is appealing enough as it is, for the right situations, and we shouldn't lose sight of that.
02-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
I have both Q-S1 and GR. I'm not technically minded, so cannot explain why, but the GR screen always seems fine to use no matter what the weather (although, I admit, UK sun is rarely the brightest!). The Q isn't always to easy to see. Two very different cameras, but I find the GR perfect, even without VF.
The GR does have that "WhiteMagic" display, with the extra white dot at each pixel for increased brightness. Clearly it's still not enough for certain people in certain situations.

Adjusting screen brightness in general is something that Pentax could really improve the ergonomics on. I'm constantly menu-diving to adjust the brightness on my K-5II and Q10. It's crazy to me that there is not an easier way to get to the screen brightness menu! Especially on the Q, where the rear LCD is the only viewfinder, such a fundamental parameter should not require menu-diving. Put it on the Info screen, at least!
02-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #30

Hi all, when do you think the new release will eventually occur?

Planning on buying the actual GR, so the sooner, the better (maybe with a price drop on previous model).