Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matpar Quote
Hi all, when do you think the new release will eventually occur?
Ricoh's typical 24 month release cycle means you can expect a GR II announcement some time around late March to mid April 2015 with actual shipping some weeks later.

02-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Nothing imminent yet. So they say. But it will come
02-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

In case no body noticed B&H has the current GR with the OVF and a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card included for free. The price is $595.
02-17-2015, 04:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

Rumors of a Ricoh GR camera replacement | Photo Rumors

Yikes that photo looks nasty ! Looks like the male model dipped the camera and his hand into a tub of axle grease !

Looks like one of the marketing guys at Pentax transferred to Ricoh ! Nooooooooo !

The GR's pretty cool, but I really wish they'd turn it into an interchangeable lens camera.

02-17-2015, 04:52 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
The GR's pretty cool, but I really wish they'd turn it into an interchangeable lens camera.
Having a fixed lens is kinda what makes it a GR.

I still mourn the loss of the GXR, myself. I didn't have the $$$ to get one when they came out, but I loved the concept. I think they were one or two sensor generations early, and the initial price was steep. But a GXR with mirrorless K mount module, slim GR-esque module, and small sensor/bright zoom module? Heck yeah!
02-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote

I still mourn the loss of the GXR, myself. I didn't have the $$$ to get one when they came out, but I loved the concept. I think they were one or two sensor generations early, and the initial price was steep. But a GXR with mirrorless K mount module, slim GR-esque module, and small sensor/bright zoom module? Heck yeah!
I agree about the GR. I guess a GR2 going to have a 24Mp sensor and hopefully a crop mode " 35mm and~16Mp", perhaps SR and better performance in low light.
If so, I buy one.

GXR was a great concept with a lens and a sensor that match together, nice size for all different focal lengths, but that is also expensive. But who now Richo may ...
But a K mount module seams great.
02-19-2015, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #37

Yes and a B/W K-mount module - that'll be cool

02-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I'd be down for one those. Also looking forward to see what Ricoh has in store for the next GR.
02-25-2015, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote

Yikes that photo looks nasty ! Looks like the male model dipped the camera and his hand into a tub of axle grease !

Looks like one of the marketing guys at Pentax transferred to Ricoh ! Nooooooooo !

Maybe that photo is a sign that it will be monochrome
(100% speculation)
03-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

At the start of March 2015 -- when do you think there will be a 'new GR' announcement? Or for a similar shirt-pocket camera? Is one due soon, in the Ricoh product cycle?
03-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #41
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
At the start of March 2015 -- when do you think there will be a 'new GR' announcement? Or for a similar shirt-pocket camera? Is one due soon, in the Ricoh product cycle?
They will announce it in a month, when the new FY starts in Japan.
The announcement will be short as usual, we'll know about it maybe 1 day before, they will invite Daido Moriyama or that kid Eric Kim to talk about something.
However, if they plan to announce something more than plain old boring 28mm GR — maybe a set of two or three cameras — then maybe we can see more smoke rising 2 days before the announcement
03-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Thanks Uluru ... so then, after the announcement, how long does it take for the new camera to be available via Amazon or B&H?

You see, about 6 months ago, I was starting to clean out my garage, and think I put my GR down somewhere, and haven't seen it since. If it doesn't surface, I might -- might! buy another. In the meantime, I've been using a Sony RX100 as my pocket camera. It is very good, but I miss the GR's ergonomics.

You guys know about lenses... tell me, is it impossible to have a mild fast telephoto, like 24-70mm with f/2.8 at 24mm ... on a GR with that APS-C sensor? And still have it fit in a man's shirt pocket, with better dust sealing this time around!
03-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #43
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
T

You guys know about lenses... tell me, is it impossible to have a mild fast telephoto, like 24-70mm with f/2.8 at 24mm ... on a GR with that APS-C sensor? And still have it fit in a man's shirt pocket, with better dust sealing this time around!
Impossible. Fixed lens camera that somewhat fits your description is Leica X Vario, and that is chunk of a camera and a lens.
To keep it pocketable, GR must be small fixed lens camera. And that's it.
But the X Vario is a very good camera, with optics far better than what any other manufacturer offers for less than $1000 for a lens alone. And the quality of the X Vario camera body is top notch too. The quality of X Vario images may blow midrange DSLR setup out of water. (For a mid range DSLR plus comparable quality zoom lens, total price isn't far from the price for X-Vario, and I'd still vote for Leica's lens). Also look at the BH Photo web store; it received only highest praises.

Last edited by Uluru; 03-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.
03-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Looks like a good camera... but once you get above shirt-pocket size, I am very happy with my Pentax K-5 IIs.

Also, the joy of shopping for a shirt-pocket camera is that the prices are usually not that high. in contrast, that Leica Vario-X is over $2,000 on Amazon... and even more for the Sony RX1. neither with K-5 ergonomics!

Anyway, will check periodically for a new GR... with better dust-sealing than the one I had. We'll see how long it will take to get it to market!
03-05-2015, 01:21 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Yes, GR WR would be great