Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps it's because the GR has become primarily a pocketable discreet camera for street shooters who won't go to the trouble of attaching a teleconverter on such a camera. But they would a wideangle when less discretion is required for interiors or landscapes.

As JPT mentioned, Ricoh used to offer a 40mm converter on the GRD I & II at first but didn't bother with the III & IV and now GR. Yet they've always offered a specific wideangle for every model, so maybe it's simply because one sold well while the other didn't so they just stopped making the one that didn't.

03-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #62
Pentaxian

I'd still like an EVF, even if optional.
03-14-2015, 01:20 AM   #63
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Perhaps it's because the GR has become primarily a pocketable discreet camera for street shooters who won't go to the trouble of attaching a teleconverter on such a camera. But they would a wideangle when less discretion is required for interiors or landscapes.

As JPT mentioned, Ricoh used to offer a 40mm converter on the GRD I & II at first but didn't bother with the III & IV and now GR. Yet they've always offered a specific wideangle for every model, so maybe it's simply because one sold well while the other didn't so they just stopped making the one that didn't.
The attraction and uniqueness of the wide converter is that it is wider than the range of zoom compacts. In the case of longer focal lengths, they could make a converter but why wouldn't you just buy a zoom compact in the first place? I guess they didn't sell many of the 40mm converters for that reason.
03-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I know. Thanks for that.
But I was writing about dedicated optics, not crop inside the camera.
Crop is an afterthought. It is easy and is not a solution but hindrance — only so much cropping is possible.

Same would be that Pentax comes with 3 lenses, one wide, one normal, one tele — for its entire DSLR line — and leaves you then to "crop" other focal lengths.

Real dedication and vision are properly designed lenses and adapters, which can utilise entire sensor area.
Would not any number of those 1.5x and 2x teleconverters with 49mm or 52mm filter rings work? The GR adaptor has a 49mm thread, correct?
They are dime a dozen on ebay. More often than not they come packaged with a wide converter and a stack of macro lenses.

03-16-2015, 03:13 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Would not any number of those 1.5x and 2x teleconverters with 49mm or 52mm filter rings work? The GR adaptor has a 49mm thread, correct?
They are dime a dozen on ebay. More often than not they come packaged with a wide converter and a stack of macro lenses.
But I actually expect the Ricoh converter to be of higher quality than the Ebay low end stuff.
03-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But I actually expect the Ricoh converter to be of higher quality than the Ebay low end stuff.
I would not make that assumption. I've seen Sony,Vivitar, and I think Bower brands. People rave about the manual focus 35mm and 85mm lenses of the later two. I seriously doubt they would degrade the image as much as a digital crop to get close to the same level of zoom. IMO the prices charged for the optical viewfinders and wide/tele converters is a bit ridiculous. A comparison between the Ricoh brand wide converter and a generic brand would be interesting.