Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #241
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,048
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Read my signature... READ IT!!
I blame those rowdy Canadians!

02-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #242
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
How's his street cred in the Thread-that-shall-not-be-named? Do we need to quiz him on his opinion of lutefisk?


Lutefisk is GREAT!


Done right it is one of my favourites
02-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #243
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,248
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't know about that screen. It looks a bit cramped and doesn't look like a touch screen.
I hope it isn't a touch screen, I really do.

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 06:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It will be named KS-2 yes.
Really? I thought it was K-S2 printed on the camera
02-06-2015, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #244
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I blame those rowdy Canadians!


I've also added an image for Parallax to enjoy

02-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #245
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
(...)

It will be named KS-2 yes.
KS-2? Are you sure?



Sears KS-2 (Ricoh XR-7): produced by Ricoh Corporation, Japan for Sears

02-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #246
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Not sure where you get your facts, but there are quite a few serious/professional photographers that have went mirrorless or tend to prefer mirrorless more and more.
In the end every single camera can be a fashion statement and a point for bragging rights. True photographers or professionals will do the job with whatever they have and most of them will usually tend to prefer the lighther, smaller gear possible.
No facts, just my opinion. On the very few occasions where I've hit the shutter button so often I've worried about the state of my batteries, I've noticed that smaller isn't better. It's easier to hold a bigger, well-balanced camera. I even noticed that with a Super Program with and without a power winder. I also find the optical viewfinder much less trouble, because I trust what I see more. So, in my opinion, the smaller size of a mirrorless camera isn't an advantage if I'm going to be taking lots of pictures. In terms of the quality of images that MILCs are capable of producing, there should be no difference. However, if I'm just going to carry it around, a stylish, more compact camera would probably look better.
02-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #247
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
No facts, just my opinion. On the very few occasions where I've hit the shutter button so often I've worried about the state of my batteries, I've noticed that smaller isn't better. It's easier to hold a bigger, well-balanced camera. I even noticed that with a Super Program with and without a power winder. I also find the optical viewfinder much less trouble, because I trust what I see more. So, in my opinion, the smaller size of a mirrorless camera isn't an advantage if I'm going to be taking lots of pictures. In terms of the quality of images that MILCs are capable of producing, there should be no difference. However, if I'm just going to carry it around, a stylish, more compact camera would probably look better.
Fair enough!
02-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #248
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do we know the K-S2 isn't the K-50 replacement? It can be even though they may sell both side-by-side for a finite time. If we look at the K-50 and the plethora of colors it's available in, that mid-range offering starts to look more and more like the "something different" category Ricoh explained the "S" line represents. K-50 in colors is already quite visually different than the Rebel and D3xxx/D5xxx lineups. The K-S2 might just be the next logical progression of their thinking.
Hmm... possible. But the way they have said it (or so I imagine) anything goes in the S line. So using that for the midrange models is a bit... weird. I was thinking S is special for Pentax... otherwise any Pentax could be called that, if you take other brands as a reference point.


You are more optimistic than I am, monochrome, but I am heading that direction. Still, it would be nice for Pentax to have a) brand recognition (I'm thinking ads and other things that aim to build awareness of the brand and of it's long history) and b) to have cameras in store and salesmen nudging potential buyers into trying them.


Better AF sounds like a given, since Pentax does have that tech, and how would they profit from limiting this camera? Not having a display on top is enough for me to not be interested in buying it.


@Steve: Why not a touchscreen? It can be useful at times... but all functions should also be accessible through buttons.


@RGlasel: Who says mirrorless can't be reasonably sized and well balanced? Just look at cameras like the GH4 or the NX1. Relatively compact, but not excessively so. However the overall package can be more compact and lighter. What you see in an OVF has no relation to what you'll get, while EVFs give you a much more accurate view of what you'll be getting... plus a bit wiggle room (think <100% OVFs... what it showed was guaranteed to end up on the photo, and you'd get a bit more). And don't forget the tech is improving. My HTC from 6 years ago had a 480x320 screen, and that was as good as it got. My Xiaomi from 1-2 years ago has a 1920x1080 screen. Before that I had a Samsung with a 1280x720 screen with a big dynamic range, inky blacks, ... and there are much better screens out there already. The lag has been reduced to something like 5 ms for the Samsung NX1, so that's also getting really close to an OVF. Plus for APS-C sized cameras there is simply a limit on size and brightness, and we have reached that (unless fancy mirror tech makes way into the camera, that can adjust the transparency). EVFs can be bigger, brighter at low light (depending on the sensor), have different aids to judge focus, exposure etc., ... Don't count the tech out on the basis of what we have had so far.

02-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #249
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,103
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I've also added an image for Parallax to enjoy
LOL
02-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #250
Pentaxian
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
KS-2? Are you sure?



Sears KS-2 (Ricoh XR-7): produced by Ricoh Corporation, Japan for Sears
To be fair the one sold to sear is KS-2 not K-S2....
02-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #251
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,439
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Still, it would be nice for Pentax to have a) brand recognition (I'm thinking ads and other things that aim to build awareness of the brand
I believe they do that in Japan. There are better uses of money at this time in Americas.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
and of it's long history) and b) to have cameras in store and salesmen nudging potential buyers into trying them.
Think they haven't tried?

Easy to say - not so easy to do in Americas. These days, the nature of the high-volume, low-margin Dealer Agreements here is the manufacturer effectively finances the entire sale, from warehouse to consumer shopping bag. Essentially all the B&M store owner does is turn on the lights.

Ricoh might as well just lease space in the stores the way Ralph Lauren does. High Margin, Low Volume, no advertising is Ricoh's pricing model. US B&M retailers - for the most part - aren't biting. Canon and Nikon have erected ridiculously effective economic barriers to entry. It oughta be a crime.
02-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #252
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
To be fair the one sold to sear is KS-2 not K-S2....
That's exactly my point .
02-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #253
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,723
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh might as well just lease space in the stores the way Ralph Lauren does. High Margin, Low Volume, no advertising is Ricoh's pricing model. US B&M retailers - for the most part - aren't biting. Canon and Nikon have erected ridiculously effective economic barriers to entry. It oughta be a crime.
To Ricoh's credit, I did see a white Pentax K-50 at a local Super Target - and it really stood out in a sea of black Canikon.
02-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #254
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,439
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To Ricoh's credit, I did see a white Pentax K-50 at a local Super Target - and it really stood out in a sea of black Canikon.
No question Jim and Brian are doing better but man what they have to go through to convince people this isn't the same old Hoya BS.

The camera specialty stores are REALLY tough.
02-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #255
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
....

@RGlasel: Who says mirrorless can't be reasonably sized and well balanced? Just look at cameras like the GH4 or the NX1. Relatively compact, but not excessively so. However the overall package can be more compact and lighter. What you see in an OVF has no relation to what you'll get, while EVFs give you a much more accurate view of what you'll be getting... plus a bit wiggle room (think <100% OVFs... what it showed was guaranteed to end up on the photo, and you'd get a bit more). And don't forget the tech is improving. My HTC from 6 years ago had a 480x320 screen, and that was as good as it got. My Xiaomi from 1-2 years ago has a 1920x1080 screen. Before that I had a Samsung with a 1280x720 screen with a big dynamic range, inky blacks, ... and there are much better screens out there already. The lag has been reduced to something like 5 ms for the Samsung NX1, so that's also getting really close to an OVF. Plus for APS-C sized cameras there is simply a limit on size and brightness, and we have reached that (unless fancy mirror tech makes way into the camera, that can adjust the transparency). EVFs can be bigger, brighter at low light (depending on the sensor), have different aids to judge focus, exposure etc., ... Don't count the tech out on the basis of what we have had so far.
Agree about the ergonomics of MILCs. There's nothing that keeps them from being designed very well. About the EVF... the best ones still only display 1 to 2 MP which equates to a very modestly sized 1080P monitor (actually, about 84% width of a 1080P monitor). Compare that to 16 to 36 MP being recorded by the sensor and you quickly realize that you're not really seeing what you're getting. From a compositional standpoint, yes, absolutely it's good. Dynamic range of a sensor is around 13 EV, most of which is viewable through an OVF. Displayable dynamic range of an EVF? Significantly less than the 13 EVs the sensor can record.

I'm not against EVFs, either. One of my cameras has one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ambassador, bit, camera, excitement, ff, forums, future, grip, k-3, k-s1, ken, legacy, lot, pentax, pentax brand, pentax news, pentax rumors, pm, post, ricoh, screen, sensor, source, space, time, touch, wi-fi, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 Camera Icon type is coming up wrong in Flickr Exif! dcpropilot Pentax K-3 2 12-20-2014 09:16 PM
That expensive case is coming with the K-01 chucuyuco Pentax K-01 5 03-10-2013 08:07 AM
Nature Spring is Coming Den Post Your Photos! 2 02-26-2013 08:41 AM
Is there anything coming to replace the K-5 KLSMpls Pentax K-5 18 03-28-2011 05:26 PM
My Lent is over--new K-x is coming Ira Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 08-03-2010 11:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top