Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #361
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Is the Canon T6i weather-sealed?
true, I didn't think of that... but then maybe they could increase the camera size a tad? There must be SOME way to create better thumb space

02-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
true, I didn't think of that... but then maybe they could increase the camera size a tad? There must be SOME way to create better thumb space
Also, hasn't anyone seen that new Dell laptop with a super slim bezel? And their tablet with a super slim bezel? Those displays are made by Sharp. Sharp also released a phone with virtually no bezel at all, and they have screens that can have any shape you'd want (as long as it's flat). What exactly requires such a thick bezel on cameras? And why is Samsung the (AFAIK) only one using OLED displays on a camera? They are tougher, offer more contrast, better viewing angles, lower power consumption, more saturation, thinner, ...
02-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #363
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think there are actually FIVE people enjoying the K-S1! (Sadly, I think I can name them off the top of my head.)

I have to wonder if the response to the K-S1 would have been very different if the FF and/or KS-2 had been leaked first. Perhaps it would have been more of a "Oh, entry level. Looks funny. Whatever." instead of "HOW DARE THEY???"

In Clothears' defense, he was spoofing MikeP's request for a filter to remove "Pentax Is Doomed" from threads. He took it a little further, tho'. Okay, a lot further.
Add me as number 6 please.
The K-S2 looks fine also, but has definitely NOT the same advantageous look or compacity...
02-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #364
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you think about the type of screen hinge that's being used here, the frame has t take a lot of stress. To use it, you unfold it and then twist it up or down by the frame, which risks flexing the screen. I think that's why the frame needs to be so thick in this kind of design.

It's interesting that camera companies have been more conservative than phone companies with LCD screens. I have a Sharp phone with an IGZO screen. It's a fantastic smartphone screen, because it is bright and uses so little power that the phone will run for 2-3 days of normal use between charges. But the colour accuracy is atrocious and I would hate to have it on a camera. The last time I looked at a Samsung phone with a OLED display, I felt the colours looked really off as well. I can only imagine the ones they use on their cameras are different, but they don't sell them in Japan. In any case, I think camera companies might be sticking with the technology they feel gives the most faithful colour reproduction. Or that they think the cost benefit of changing doesn't add up for customers.

02-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The K-S2 looks fine also, but has definitely NOT the same advantageous look or compacity...
"You are Number Six."
02-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Could you elaborate on this (I'm trying to decide which K-xx I want to purchase)
What do you think the K-S1 does/has that the K-S2 fails to meet??
02-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #367
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would enjoy the K-S1 if I didn't own any weather resistant lenses and got it new for, say, $300 or less... but for $600... I will just stick with my K30!

02-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
When you think about the type of screen hinge that's being used here, the frame has t take a lot of stress. To use it, you unfold it and then twist it up or down by the frame, which risks flexing the screen. I think that's why the frame needs to be so thick in this kind of design.

It's interesting that camera companies have been more conservative than phone companies with LCD screens. I have a Sharp phone with an IGZO screen. It's a fantastic smartphone screen, because it is bright and uses so little power that the phone will run for 2-3 days of normal use between charges. But the colour accuracy is atrocious and I would hate to have it on a camera. The last time I looked at a Samsung phone with a OLED display, I felt the colours looked really off as well. I can only imagine the ones they use on their cameras are different, but they don't sell them in Japan. In any case, I think camera companies might be sticking with the technology they feel gives the most faithful colour reproduction. Or that they think the cost benefit of changing doesn't add up for customers.
Fair enough, but I have seen a Lenovo Thinkpad being held by the corner of the screen (the whole laptop can be flat). The laptop was being held flat, i.e. the opposite corner would be at the same height. And it hardly flexed. It must be possible to produce a small screen that is robust enough...

Colour accuracy... you can calibrate that. Samsung is going for the most catching image they can produce, but I'm sure subtle is possible too. IIRC there was/is an OLED Sony video monitor, to be used by professionals.
02-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #369
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
BTW Adam, ... any chance you can auto-delete posts by people who sneer at the K-S1. Such posts were mildly amusing the first time but now they're just bloody annoying and only used by those who have nothing of interest to say. If you can manage to auto-cancel their accounts too that would be just extra special.
Good luck with that. I think Adam is chief cheerleader of the K-S1 sneerers.
02-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

Phones are replaced every year or two. Durability isn't a concern. I hope their way of doing things doesn't infect DSLR manufacturers.
02-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Could you elaborate on this (I'm trying to decide which K-xx I want to purchase)
What do you think the K-S1 does/has that the K-S2 fails to meet??
As far as look is concerned : the K-S1 is really smart and different - take a look at the white version for example.
The rear luminous mode wheel is very practical when having to use it for concert or night photography / tripod. + that wheel it is a real plus for any LiveView user.
As a matter of compacity : i have a small Lowepro camera bag in which only the K-S1 or K-01 can lodge.
The K-S2 will not match those yet "urban use" standards and will not feet in that small bag.

re. price : thanks to Amazon firesales and the 50€ refund, i paid 480 Euros for the two kits i bought (one for my daughter +18-55 , one for me +35mm)

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-08-2015 at 12:39 AM.
02-08-2015, 12:36 AM   #372
Pentaxian

K-s1 bodies are just under $450 now on this side. Perhaps another $100 lower and I can manage one, assuming no more budget surprises for a while.
02-08-2015, 12:49 AM   #373
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Phones are replaced every year or two. Durability isn't a concern. I hope their way of doing things doesn't infect DSLR manufacturers.
Durability isn't a concern in any consumer market today. It is all about looking good at the cash register / checkout. People like to buy new shiny so it only benefits manufacturers to purposely not consider durability in an effort to cut costs in order to offer it in Walmart for dirt cheap. What an era in which we live.

Knowing camera shutters tend to be rated at 100,000 (at least) actuations, I thought it would be interesting if DSLR bodies were upgradeable through plug and play installable cpus and pay-for firmware upgrades that would enhance the feature set long term. upgrade from 6 to 12 FPS with double buffer size. Upgrade to the video package.. modular card slot that could be upgraded to dual CF or dual SD or 1 SD and 1 CF. Just customizations and improvements that would keep the camera's featureset fairly current while continually using the core of the camera body.

Minus the R&D, support, and general overhead of such a complex system, I think though just by thinking about this now, most/all manufacturers would take the Canon approach and purposefully gut the feature set then offer what would have normally been there from the get-go for an extra fee (or, in Canon's case, offer eleventy million camera bodies).
02-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #374
Pentaxian

I have yet to hear of any results but Samsung is using pub-domain software (Tizen/Linux) to code firmware. In theory it's wide open to those who dare.. Not I, at least not yet!
02-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #375
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think there are actually FIVE people enjoying the K-S1! (Sadly, I think I can name them off the top of my head.)
I resemble that remark!

This new camera is giving me early adopter's remorse, but I'll get it over it.