Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #376
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have yet to hear of any results but Samsung is using pub-domain software (Tizen/Linux) to code firmware. In theory it's wide open to those who dare.. Not I, at least not yet!

02-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #377
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think there are actually FIVE people enjoying the K-S1! (Sadly, I think I can name them off the top of my head.)
I resemble that remark!

This new camera is giving me early adopter's remorse, but I'll get it over it.
02-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #378
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We don't censor content or delete negative feedback, but you can certainly add annoying users to your ignore list or use our ignore thread feature so that entire threads won't show up in your searches.
If he added everyone that wasn't a fan of the K-S1 to his ignore list it would be a pretty lonely place I think

The K-S2 on the other hand is looking very good ....
02-08-2015, 03:38 AM - 3 Likes   #379
Pentaxian

K-S1 NFMsNFA abounds

02-08-2015, 04:06 AM   #380
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
K-S1 NFMsNFA abounds
Very true.

It's definitely not for me, though
02-08-2015, 04:27 AM   #381
Site Supporter

I'm affraid some people here have a tendency to over-evaluate themselves bit... let appart their aparent disguise for "beginners"...
In m'y case the K-S1 is just my "always with me" body, i can carry it much more frequently than my K-3 for example...
02-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #382
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I'm affraid some people here have a tendency to over-evaluate themselves bit... let appart their aparent disguise for "beginners"...
In m'y case the K-S1 is just my "always with me" body, i can carry it much more frequently than my K-3 for example...
I'm sure you're right. But the reason I say the K-S1 is not for me has nothing to do with "for beginners" or any such nonsense. It's simply that I want two control wheels at my finger tips, a display on top of the camera, and WR.

I think the K-3 might have been an even better camera with the sensor from the K-S1, btw.
02-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #383
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll agree about the two wheels.
Small and fkat as the KS1 is no problem but one wheel is a PITA to me.

02-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #384
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This new camera is giving me early adopter's remorse, but I'll get it over it.
Well, look at it this way: if you decide to side-grade to the K-S2, you will already know what the sensor can do and what PP you want/need for it (if it's the same 20MP, and I think it is). I'm anticipating some grousing about ISO noise and having to modify workflow because it's (horrors!) different from the Sweet16.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yep, fits in my little camera bag, fits in my workbag - just easier to have with me all the time or as a backup body. My first question when it was leaked was not "can the LEDs be turned off?", but "what are the dimensions?". To me, the K-S1 is the DA Limited body - very small with excellent IQ, even at the cost of some other parameters, like WR and handling. (Yes, handling - those narrow ridged focus rings are not as easy to use as a nice wide rubber-coated focus ring.)

While the 'S2 looks like another capable Pentax shootin' machine, for me a tilty/flippy screen, WiFi, and multi/interval mode won't be worth the extra size and weight. Not For Me, so Maybe For Not-Me. (NFMsMFNM) Woot for Not-Me!
02-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #385

Actually with the release of the FF body and the new tiny kit lens, the K-s1 is looking more attractive. As a 2nd body for the wife maybe. Looks pretty cool with the limiteds too. It just looks disproportional with the old kit lens.
02-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
Actually with the release of the FF body and the new tiny kit lens, the K-s1 is looking more attractive. As a 2nd body for the wife maybe. Looks pretty cool with the limiteds too. It just looks disproportional with the old kit lens.
I thought so, too, looking at pictures, but when I tried it in person, it didn't look so bad, and balanced quite nicely. Still interested in the 'collapsible' 18-50 as a compact walkaround lens.

That's it from me today - gotta go "play pictures" (Thanks to SeveralSnakes for that expression!).
02-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #387
Pentaxian

I never tried it in person, from the pictures i can tell the grip is small but it can't be much worse than that on some traditional film cameras, and the added compactness and reduced weight can be a plus. I strongly considered buying a K-S1 when i saw it on sale for 380€ (body only) new on a famous retailed in my country. At that price i was willing to accept all the "mechanical" compromises. IQ wise according to the reviews it's a very competent camera. But in the end, since CP+ is soon to come, i decided to wait for the new releases and see how they affect the prices.

That was a special offer and has ended...at its current pricing, north of 550€ with kit lens in my country, i think the K-S1 is too expensive by Pentax standards. When the market prices stabilize you usually can get the current "upper entry level" model with WR, double wheels and all that for that price...

This K-S2 will probably push the prices of the K-S1 down where they belong, even if initially i can expect it to be priced higher than current K-S1 pricing
02-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a k-s1 as a carry everywhere small hi-quality camera and am pleased with it. Fits nicely in a small camera bag and its perfect with the small DA limiteds. No regrets here. Count me as #7!
02-08-2015, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is all reminiscent of the K-01 without some of the rancor. You either have it and love or you don't have it and hate it.

There doesn't seem to be any gray.
02-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #390
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is all reminiscent of the K-01 without some of the rancor. You either have it and love or you don't have it and hate it.

There doesn't seem to be any gray.
There is though. I don't have a K-01 and I never got why people hated it.
It certainly has not the size advantage most people think mirrorless is all about but has other things for itself.
It isn't my cup of tea but so what? I don't have to peee on it for that reason.