Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #556
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I really don't know what we can do, in the last interview Adam asked them why it was deactivated, and they said noise. It's been deactivated for some 3, 4 years now, so they had enough time of people complaining about it's removal.
Indeed, your strategy of forcing every conversation you join in every PF subforum to turn to movie SR, of insisting everyone should demand the same suite of video capabilities as you require (and which apparently no other manufacturer offers, either), of calling Pentax engineers stupid or lazy (and by implication calling all Pentax users stupid - who else would buy stupid cameras designed by stupid engineers?), isn't working very well, is it?

Here is a different approach you may wish to try: Write directly to your Ricoh representative. I wrote an email to the RIAC president about an issue I was concerned with and within one hour had an invitation to talk by phone, leading to an amazing 15-20 minute conversation with him. I don't know if the Ricoh management in Europe is as accessible, but it's certainly worth a try. And we've done the experiment with your first strategy without any success - I'd say it's time to try something else.

02-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #557

In one interview, it may have been the same as referred to above, Ricoh said still photography would always be first priority and video with lesser priority. In other words Ricoh is not willing to compromise the still image quality and functions for video. This is as it should be. If Ricoh could afford the resources perhaps they could assign a higher priority to video functions. Given the current trends in cost cutting in response to drop in Digital Camera sales by cutting personnel across the board this unlikely in the near future.
02-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Indeed, your strategy of forcing every conversation you join in every PF subforum to turn to movie SR, of insisting everyone should demand the same suite of video capabilities as you require (and which apparently no other manufacturer offers, either), of calling Pentax engineers stupid or lazy (and by implication calling all Pentax users stupid - who else would buy stupid cameras designed by stupid engineers?), isn't working very well, is it?

Here is a different approach you may wish to try: Write directly to your Ricoh representative. I wrote an email to the RIAC president about an issue I was concerned with and within one hour had an invitation to talk by phone, leading to an amazing 15-20 minute conversation with him. I don't know if the Ricoh management in Europe is as accessible, but it's certainly worth a try. And we've done the experiment with your first strategy without any success - I'd say it's time to try something else.
Mh. I don't mention movie SR that often. Olympus offers that suite of video capabilities, Sony has started too. And Pentax did, 5 years ago.

I think you are going a bit far by interpreting that I am saying all Pentax users are stupid. That's nonsense. Different people, different needs. And I am a happy Pentax user, I am simply not too impressed by newer offerings, mostly because they could do it, everything is in place and exists inside the camera.

Anyway we'll have to see for someone to try out the new camera to see if they have quietly fixed it or not.

Maybe I'll try to find out if there is a rep I can write to. I did mention it to kenspo, who wants to mention the issue when he talks to his contact. Hopefully at some point Pentax will realize it.

@Not a Number: Guess what... I agree with that. They don't have to invest too much into video, though a colaboration with Magic Lantern would be nice (again, not really investing too much). What is frustrating me, and some others, is that old Pentax cameras had functions that would be greatly appreciated, but removed (even though the hardware to do it, and even the software, is still in the newer cameras). Imagine them removing TAv, because... reasons.

Looking forward for hands-on reports on the new camera. Looks like they have a hit, at least amongst Pentax users.
02-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #559

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or imagine they removed M mode because there is auto mode to do things for you....

I actually can;t imagine how could improving video capabilities compromise still photography, it is not like we ask to squeeze in RED into K-S2 body likes.
More capable hardware and software can only give more exciting space for stills, not limit them.

But it is yet to see what Ricoh Pentax updated in this model. Maybe there will be a surprise like with EM-5 mark2, in addition to the exciting things like mic input, HDMI port we'll get a decent video recording codec and clean HDMI out video signal as well as focus peaking during video recording.

On the mean time.

02-10-2015, 09:04 AM - 3 Likes   #560
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Mh. I don't mention movie SR that often.
Um, actually, you do, Just looking back over your last 25 posts, over half mention SR, and in almost all of them, whether SR is mentioned or not, there is something negative about Pentax.
I'm not judging; just trying to help by stating some facts. You know what they say about the first step to recovery..................
02-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #561
mee
Veteran Member

Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-50mm Lens (Black) 11599 B&H

800 with the kit lens.. isn't that cheaper than the KS-1 when it was launched?
02-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Or imagine they removed M mode because there is auto mode to do things for you....

I actually can;t imagine how could improving video capabilities compromise still photography, it is not like we ask to squeeze in RED into K-S2 body likes.
More capable hardware and software can only give more exciting space for stills, not limit them.

But it is yet to see what Ricoh Pentax updated in this model. Maybe there will be a surprise like with EM-5 mark2, in addition to the exciting things like mic input, HDMI port we'll get a decent video recording codec and clean HDMI out video signal as well as focus peaking during video recording.

On the mean time.

PENTAX K-S2 VIDEO (日本語) - YouTube
It doesn't work that way in real-world engineering. For example, to cater to video shooters they may need to select a different sensor that is better at video, but has compromises born from being specially designed for video that would result in reduced quality stills. Would that be acceptable? I'd say absolutely not. As long as it can do a decent impression of a video camera, that's all that is needed, IMHO. If you need (want?) pro-level video, get a proper dedicated camera designed for video. Remember, a DSLR is a general purpose tool. It can't do everything well. I'd rather Ricoh focus their engineering resources where they have the most experience, stills. The video just needs to be good enough.

02-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-50mm Lens (Black) 11599 B&H

800 with the kit lens.. isn't that cheaper than the KS-1 when it was launched?
Yeah, about $50 lower, comparable to the K-50 at launch.

Last edited by THoog; 02-10-2015 at 09:58 AM.
02-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #564

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
It doesn't work that way in real-world engineering. For example, to cater to video shooters they may need to select a different sensor that is better at video, but has compromises born from being specially designed for video that would result in reduced quality stills. Would that be acceptable? I'd say absolutely not. As long as it can do a decent impression of a video camera, that's all that is needed, IMHO. If you need (want?) pro-level video, get a proper dedicated camera designed for video. Remember, a DSLR is a general purpose tool. It can't do everything well. I'd rather Ricoh focus their engineering resources where they have the most experience, stills. The video just needs to be good enough.

Well it is a sony sensor that is definitely capable of more than Pentax squeeze out in terms of video.

But good point about special sensors like on Sony A7s, while dynamic range and low light capabilities are extraordinary, I wouldn;t like Pentax go that road in sacrificing resolution.

You have a good point about good enough, Ricoh Pentax should do the good enough, e.g. improved video codec like Oly did for OM-D EM5 mark2 (which I suppose use similar sony sensor like Pentax does but only 43 version)

Another good enough example is Samsung NX1, it is not on par with pro class like RED etc cams, but good enough for majority of independent filmmakers who also do photography. Almost a holly grail. But I as a user would prefer to stay with Pentax and would prefer more customers to come to Pentax rather than point them else where, so Pentax would have more funds for exciting developments.

K-S2 seems to be semi right direction to fill the dish that feeds both. Keeping fingers crossed for K-S2 come with a stronger video codec next to the exciting new features like mic input and swivel screen, as I am sure it is not worth discussing still photography, knowing Pentax it will kick butts of many competitors. There is already no other DSLR in this price point yet to offer what Pentax does with K-S2 (WR body that is not cheap plastic tv control kind built quality like many competitors, dual control wheels, no AA filter on sensor, in body IS, Pentax touch to image capture that renders beautiful stills in a very solid gadget.
02-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #565
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Um, actually, you do, Just looking back over your last 25 posts, over half mention SR, and in almost all of them, whether SR is mentioned or not, there is something negative about Pentax.
I'm not judging; just trying to help by stating some facts. You know what they say about the first step to recovery..................
To be fair a couple of them were in a video thread. Also, it's less, I hope.

And hey, I am actually looking forward to what Pentax is bringing.

@cbope: They should certainly pick a sensor that is great for stills, I agree with you. But unless they go for one that has a global shutter (at the expense of low light performance) good stills performance and good video performance goes together. A sensor that is good for video doesn't heat up that much... great for live view and long exposures. A sensor that is good for video (little rolling shutter) can enable a silent mode with an electronic shutter. The SR system that is great for stills... would be great for video too (though I shoot both stills and video I wouldn't miss it so much for stills, but for video, big difference. That's where you really see the difference). A fast processor may also be faster for stills.

I also agree with good enough. Good enough, and make use of the hardware that is there. That goes for video as well as for stills. Why don't we have bracketing for composition adjustment and focus stacking? It's just a bit of software, everything else is there already. Bracketing to increase color accuracy or resolution (i.e. EM-5 Mk II) should be possible too, even if it doesn't do the processing in the camera. It doesn't have to. We have exposure bracketing, and had it long before the camera could combine the photos itself. Likewise, video SR is the obvious one that doesn't require any additional hardware or even software (it works in live view...). Other improvements may require different hardware or more effort, so I'm ok if they don't do it. The camera is a computer basically... why not let users reassign buttons/switches that are for video to be used for stills, if they don't care about video?

As for codec improvements, I hope those come from Fujitsu with a newer processor. Nikon is getting decent performance, even at low bitrates, out of their Milbeaut processors. Hopefully that will go into the version Pentax uses too. The alternative would be reenabling 80 Mbps MJPEG, which results in pretty nice results too.

A camera with focus peaking during recording, at least the encoding performance and image quality of newer Nikon models (D5300 etc.), sensor shift video SR, swivel screen, manual controls and 1080p would get me very excited (plus everything on the still side). And I believe Pentax could easily do that without spending much at all, if they chose to. No need for 4K, 120 fps, video AF, HEVC, ...
02-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #566
ogl
Banned

D-BH109 - could K-S2 use this adaptor for AA batteries?
02-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #567
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not listed but you tell me:

02-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
about $50 lower, comparable to the K-50 at launch
It didn't take as many Yen to make $1.00 US when the K-50 and K-S1 were launched. But the K-S2 is a much better value than the K-S1, so the introductory pricing is still consistent. If anything the introductory price for the K-S1 was too high, not that it would make much difference to how well it sells in the U.S.
02-10-2015, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
D-BH109 - could K-S2 use this adaptor for AA batteries?
At the moment, it doesn't look like it. It's not in the specs, Kenspo doesn't have any information, and in the only view I've seen of the bottom*, the door appears to be smaller than the one on the K-30/50. I hope I'm wrong.

(*screen capture from the Adorama video - sorry, I can't find the thread it is in EDIT: see picture D1NO just posted - thanks!)
02-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
the door appears to be smaller than the one on the K-30/50
Again, it's not exactly a 4K video capture, but the door hinge looks to be the same size, and more importantly, in the same position as on the K30/50. I'm guessing that the K-S2 isn't compatible with the AA holder, because it was considered an important enough feature to be listed with the K-30/50, but it could just as easily be a minor mistake in preparing the webpage.