Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #631
Forum Member

K-S2: This model is equipped with a dedicated button for self portraits. At least they don't actually call it a selfie!
Take self portraits
If you point the lens toward yourself, swivel the LCD monitor, and switch to Live View shooting, the new self portrait shutter button light begins to glow. Then you can use the other button which is in a position where it is easier to press, and you can shoot holding the camera with one hand.
Actually quite an interesting way of doing it, might be of interest to street shooters?
I like the look of the over engineered flip screen, I always thought I was going to tear the one off my Sony A77, it went every which way but one which was always the way I'd try to turn it! As long as they have not made all the buttons on the right too cramped, it looks fine to me, actually quite excited to try one out.
I'd like a 645Z type tilt screen for anything above K-S2 for robustness and let me put an acmaxx protector on it as I'm kind of OCD about that!

02-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #632
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ok. Who says it has to be either/or? One vs. another? Not every thing is an opposing battle.

And AA batteries is a top tier feature for me. Higher than flippy screen or even improved battery life.

While they've offered it as an option for many camera bodies... I suspect they didn't do this because they wanted to waste money on an unnecessary feature. No, probably more so because they saw the usefulness/desirability of such a feature and gave users another option.
Of course none of us, presumably, know exactly what the battery arrangement is in the K-S2. However, on the K30/50, the dual (Li-ion, AA) battery capability requires the use of a smaller Li-ion stock battery (Li109). The AA battery option is nice but it comes at the expense of needing a much smaller stock battery. Had they given that up, it's likely the bigger Li90 battery could have been used.
02-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #633
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'd say no, despite what the numbers say.

I think the given width for the K-S1 includes the metal strap lug.
Thanks for Scaling/Comparing.
02-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #634
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Of course none of us, presumably, know exactly what the battery arrangement is in the K-S2. However, on the K30/50, the dual (Li-ion, AA) battery capability requires the use of a smaller Li-ion stock battery (Li109). The AA battery option is nice but it comes at the expense of needing a much smaller stock battery. Had they given that up, it's likely the bigger Li90 battery could have been used.
However, this thread is about the new K-S2, and that camera does use the Li109 also (not the Li90). I have never looked inside the battery compartment of a K-50, but if the compartment of the K-S2 will hold an Li109, but not the AA holder, then the holder must be slightly larger than the Li109 (in other words, the battery must be "loose" in the K-50 compartment); otherwise, the holder would fit in any compartment that will hold the battery, and we wouldn't be holding this discussion.

BTW - if they had wanted to use the Li90 battery, they could have simply made a larger AA holder, so I don't see how using the holder prevents them from using a larger battery.

02-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #635
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
To be fair the one sold to sear is KS-2 not K-S2....
Perhaps Pentax miss the Sears model name then they searching their database over camera names.
02-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
However, this thread is about the new K-S2, and that camera does use the Li109 also (not the Li90). I have never looked inside the battery compartment of a K-50, but if the compartment of the K-S2 will hold an Li109, but not the AA holder, then the holder must be slightly larger than the Li109 (in other words, the battery must be "loose" in the K-50 compartment); otherwise, the holder would fit in any compartment that will hold the battery, and we wouldn't be holding this discussion.

BTW - if they had wanted to use the Li90 battery, they could have simply made a larger AA holder, so I don't see how using the holder prevents them from using a larger battery.
It looks like this:

It's actually kind of ingenious how the Li-109 fits snugly in a space about double its volume.
02-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #637
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It looks like this:

It's actually kind of ingenious how the Li-109 fits snugly in a space about double its volume.
Thank you. In this case a picture is worth a thousand words.

So the K-50 space is bigger to allow the holder to fit?

So, they may have made the K-S2 space smaller because they wanted the overall camera to be smaller, even though that eliminates the possibility of fitting a holder?

Last edited by reh321; 02-11-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: complete the thought
02-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #638
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you. In this case a picture is worth a thousand words.

So the K-50 space is bigger to allow the holder to fit?

So, they may have made the K-S2 space smaller because they wanted the overall camera to be smaller, even though that eliminates the possibility of fitting a holder?
That is the case with the K-S1... the smaller grip necessitated the non-AA option (and the smaller battery). We'll see soon enough the size of the battery compartment on the K-S2. But the main point is designing for AA batteries precludes fitting the larger Li90 battery in these cameras.

02-11-2015, 04:18 PM - 3 Likes   #639
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I enjoy the extra space my K30 gives me in the battery compartment. You can store a folded up microfiber cloth in there, a $5 bill, or even some skittles just in case you get hungry when shooting.
02-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #640
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With the K-S2 not supporting an AA battery pack, and having a relatively limited battery life, if the camera gets popular it is likely that a third-party solution may evolve. Just keep an eye on Amazon, Alibaba or eBay after the camera is released.
02-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
With the K-S2 not supporting an AA battery pack, and having a relatively limited battery life, if the camera gets popular it is likely that a third-party solution may evolve. Just keep an eye on Amazon, Alibaba or eBay after the camera is released.
Agreed, it wouldn't be hard to make a battery grip using the external power cable slot (slightly harder to do it and preserve WR, but still doable). There's a DIY thread with just such a thing made for the K-30 out of a cheap Nikon grip.
02-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #642

the sale has started;
I think the price for the white one cannot be really correct
Attached Images

02-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/-/SortID=18467412/ImageID=2143019/
KS2 with the new D FA 150-450
02-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #644
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. Why would the door be shaped like it is if there is no AA holder? Why wouldn't it be a simple rectangle? Weird.
02-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Hmm. Why would the door be shaped like it is if there is no AA holder? Why wouldn't it be a simple rectangle? Weird.
What you said.