Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #676

Photos: Albums
Actually, they definitely were thinking "selfies" although I don't think their marketing stuff uses that term.

The vari-angle screen is just that and is not indicative of selfies per se. However, the fact that the wi-fi button becomes a secondary shutter button, which lights up the the main shutter button and falls more naturally and securely in hand when the camera is held in the reverse position in the left hand, is definitely an indication that they were thinking selfies a lot and quite deliberately. You can see it in use in the Adorama video:

As established in the CP+ 2015 interview, Japan is the major market for Pentax. Based on what I saw when I was in Japan around New Year's, selfies are a big thing there, quite often with a smartphone on a selfie-stick (telescoping monopod).

As for the design of the K-S1 being aimed at gadget users, it may not have been successful, but they definitely had a certain logic in mind for the interface. It is touched on briefly in this interview:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/285067-pentax-inter...-business.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I don't think Pentax designers were thinking selfies, not even a little. Samsung (or someone) recently produced a compact with a flip UP screen that was marketed to "selfie-shooters," but all of that marketing language is just . . . marketing language. The original marketing language for the K-S1, as we all saw, was ostensibly directed towards helping cell-phone users get into DSLRs. Following that logic, K-S1 would have had a touch screen, but it didn't. So I think the marketing idea they decided to put into ink on paper came after the design. Just like the names of color groupings ("nature" "sweets," "fabric"), it's all arbitrary. It's like calling an off-white interior room paint "misty morning" to have a sales angle. No one is actually going to say that their blue K-S1 is "denim" colored. So the articulated screen of the K-S2 is not there because Pentaxians, or anyone, demanded selfie appurtenances, it's there because of market competition against other articulated/tilt screen competitors, which, more than selfies, is feeding the demand for low-angle/high-angle shooting, which in my view is a very imprecise way to frame a serious shot anyway. It'll do in a pinch, of course, and so has some value. I don't mind it being there, but it is not there because Pentax designers suddenly woke up and said "Dang! We forgot to put a twisty screen on the K-S1 for selfies!" K-S2 was no doubt on the drawing board at the same time as the K-S1, as a K-50 replacement, not a K-S1 upgrade. I don't think for a minute that they threw such a well-specified model as the K-S2 together -- and actually got it into limited production -- after second thoughts and a mere 6 months after release the K-S1. (But they are darned good at rush work if they did.)

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 08:31 PM ----------

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it looks like you've been vindicated yet again Ken. No misunderstanding -- here's a shot of the body armour for the K-S2:

This is taken from the CP+ 2015 coverage on TheVerge.com: The most important camera gear at Japan's biggest photo show | The Verge

Just a photo though, it doesn't say anything about the body armour.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Ok, maybe i just missunderstood what they said I thought it was optional gear you could attach..

02-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #677

Does anyone know when it will be available the online K-S2 user manual?
02-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Actually, they definitely were thinking "selfies" although I don't think their marketing stuff uses that term.

The vari-angle screen is just that and is not indicative of selfies per se. However, the fact that the wi-fi button becomes a secondary shutter button, which lights up the the main shutter button and falls more naturally and securely in hand when the camera is held in the reverse position in the left hand, is definitely an indication that they were thinking selfies a lot and quite deliberately. You can see it in use in the Adorama video:

http://youtu.be/kJ_-s93PI5Q

As established in the CP+ 2015 interview, Japan is the major market for Pentax. Based on what I saw when I was in Japan around New Year's, selfies are a big thing there, quite often with a smartphone on a selfie-stick (telescoping monopod).

As for the design of the K-S1 being aimed at gadget users, it may not have been successful, but they definitely had a certain logic in mind for the interface. It is touched on briefly in this interview:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/285067-pentax-inter...-business.html

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 08:31 PM ----------

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it looks like you've been vindicated yet again Ken. No misunderstanding -- here's a shot of the body armour for the K-S2:

This is taken from the CP+ 2015 coverage on TheVerge.com: The most important camera gear at Japan's biggest photo show | The Verge

Just a photo though, it doesn't say anything about the body armour.
What is the point of this "armor" besides making the camera really ugly and the controls more difficult to operate?
02-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #679
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Does anyone know when it will be available the online K-S2 user manual?
The one for the K-S1 just appeared one day, Edri, before the product release.

02-15-2015, 03:27 AM   #680
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
What is the point of this "armor" besides making the camera really ugly and the controls more difficult to operate?
Is that a serious question?
02-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #681
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Hate to sound like a broken record, but it looks like you've been vindicated yet again Ken.
Thank you I will always tell what i can and never pretend to know more then i do! I didnt ask deeper about the meaning of this body armour, but im shure they will tell more them self, when people starts to ask.
02-15-2015, 04:02 AM   #682

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The one for the K-S1 just appeared one day, Edri, before the product release.

Thanks, so at the beginning of March.
02-15-2015, 04:05 AM   #683
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
The material looks like TPU or silicon. If it is TPU that's what is used for smartphones to protect them from drops. Citroen uses TPU for the exterior of one of their cars, it protects it from small bumps etc.

Likewise silicon, it protects too. Both also make the camera less slippery.

02-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #684
Pentaxian

Camera body armour can also help muffle camera shutter/mirror noise.
So it can have a variety of uses.
02-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #685
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thonl the armor are for people who don't like scratches on their cameras. Like kadajawi said it will protect your camera like they o. On smartphones.
02-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #686
Pentaxian

TPU or silicon? Completely unsuitable for a "camera body armour". Make it Chobham armour, and we'll talk.
02-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #687
Pentaxian

The reason I use TPU or silicon is to protect my phone from the sort of drops that shatter the screen. Scratches I don't care so much about. That's also why I have a pane of tempered glass on my screen. It is supposed to crack before the display does.

Not sure how a DSLR would be protected, I suppose the things that damage it are different.
02-15-2015, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #688
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Classic PF thread discussion, complaining about an optional accessory (the body armor) for a product that hasn't even been released yet.

As far as the material goes, I'm guessing silicone, since with the way it is shaped would make it quite difficult to slip over the camera if it were a stiffer TPU. The Silicone also provides a grippier surface than the TPU and more flexibility for the button blisters.
02-15-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I thonl the armor are for people who don't like scratches on their cameras. Like kadajawi said it will protect your camera like they o. On smartphones.
It gives the illusion of protection. Dust and grit will find its way between the body and armor, and by handling it you are literally grinding this material into the body finish over time.

Kind of like the car bras from the 80's, ever remove one of those after a year or two? The paint underneath is basically ruined. Or, you removed it and cleaned underneath everytime you washed your car, and the constant removal and replacing the bra damaged the paint.
02-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #690

I don't think its an armour. I expect this to come in 10 colours in typical pentax fashion with a limited edition hello kitty design