Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #766
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
What I wonder is why they picked such a screen.

Just look at these photos of the S5 OLED screen.
https://hytparts.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/samsung-galaxy-s5-lcd-teardown-1.jpg
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/OmB2r3bgXHGJChNY

And another OLED screen:
http://mewsview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/samsung-flexible-oled-android...ne-display.jpg

These, mounted to a stiff metal plate and with a pane of gorilla glass on top (edge to edge), would make for a pretty nice screen IMHO... and one that is very thin. Some water sealing around the edges and done. It would look sexy, be thin and won't need a big border (the clear K-S2 IMHO shows that the LCD screen takes plenty of space).

As for image quality... yes, those Samsung displays are very saturated, but just because they _can_ be very saturated it doesn't mean they have to be all the time. The advantage is also a much bigger range of brightnesses (great for shooting at night), and, perhaps, bigger dynamic range. These displays are also ridiculously sharp. I can see the dots on my K-5 screen, I can't on say the Galaxy S5 screen).

So... any idea why they went for a conventional LCD screen, again? Samsung uses OLED screens on their cameras (though the main screen doesn't have a higher resolution than say the K-3...), but apart from them...
Because that is what they can get. You have to remember, phones are manufactured by the millions every quarter. That's VOLUME. Camera manufacturers are perhaps a couple percent of that volume at best. To the screen manufacturers that's peanuts and they are just not interested.

I see this first-hand. I work for a medical imaging manufacturer and nearly all of our devices have some kind of LCD to display information or provide a touchscreen graphical interface. We would love to have access to the nice, high-res OLED and LCD screens used in mobile devices, but the simple fact is even with thousands of shipped devices per year, we can only get access to older technology screens. We can't compete with the mobile device manufacturers for volume so the screen manufacturers are just not interested. Admittedly our volume is far smaller than any camera manufacturer.

02-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The clear K-S2 probably has issues with light leaks, but I still want one!

Thank you for this picture.
But i have to say "too bad" we don't see the entire cristal AF201 flash !
02-20-2015, 04:46 AM   #768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. Seems like a competitor to canon sl1, but slightly bigger and heavier. I don't care much about pixels (18 or 20, who cares?) or video, but flip screen is attractive. That's something I miss on sl1. However, touch screen is convenient. I would love to compare both cameras in my hands (Pentax, please! Make it available in stores!). K-S2 weight with smaller size may be not so attractive for carrying the camera all day in regular bag without noticing the weight much with the lightweight lens. I like sl1 for the "girl" weight.
02-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Because that is what they can get. You have to remember, phones are manufactured by the millions every quarter. That's VOLUME. Camera manufacturers are perhaps a couple percent of that volume at best. To the screen manufacturers that's peanuts and they are just not interested.

I see this first-hand. I work for a medical imaging manufacturer and nearly all of our devices have some kind of LCD to display information or provide a touchscreen graphical interface. We would love to have access to the nice, high-res OLED and LCD screens used in mobile devices, but the simple fact is even with thousands of shipped devices per year, we can only get access to older technology screens. We can't compete with the mobile device manufacturers for volume so the screen manufacturers are just not interested. Admittedly our volume is far smaller than any camera manufacturer.
Fair enough. I do see plenty of small Chinese phone makers who also have access to pretty nice screens, even though they don't produce as many devices... but perhaps they just get them off the shelf, the parts aren't custom made for them. And camera displays have a very different shape and size...

02-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #770
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Thank you for this picture.
But i have to say "too bad" we don't see the entire cristal AF201 flash !
Kurosawa-san has several shots of it, too - you just have to dig around in the set:

02-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Kurosawa-san has several shots of it, too - you just have to dig around in the set:

All those see-through models suggest that there is no downside to revealing proprietary details about your construction methods. That surprises me, since reverse-engineering can be done using photographs if they are detailed enough. Pentax/Ricoh apparently isn't worried about their relatively advanced weather sealing methods being on display. I suppose the patents must be iron-clad.
02-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #772

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I do see plenty of small Chinese phone makers who also have access to pretty nice screens, even though they don't produce as many devices... but perhaps they just get them off the shelf, the parts aren't custom made for them.
They're probably buying the rejects - screens with too many dead pixels or other imperfections for the majors to accept. Another way to keep costs down.
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
One thing I find lacking is the fact that Pentax has not included a wired remote control socket on the KS2, I have that on the K30 and use it a lot. What a shame. By the way, has anyone seen the remote control application "Image Sync" somewhere, I'd like to look at it.
Yes, it is a surprising lack. The cheapest previous models had the possibility to connect an external wired remote control. Maybe it is a mistake in the specifications.

02-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #774
Pentaxian

I don't mind a simple, functional and somewhat true screen. If my photos look better on the rear LCD than they look in reality, and especially if they look very sharp and I get home and I didn't nail that focus - I'd be pretty pissed. So I don't see the point of OLED screens, or at least I'm not really willing to pay for them.
02-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #775
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Yes, it is a surprising lack. The cheapest previous models had the possibility to connect an external wired remote control. Maybe it is a mistake in the specifications.
Some have a wired port, some do not. The K-m/x/r/01/S1 do not. The K-30/50/500 do. The K-S1 is very close in dimensions to the K-x/r; I think the wired port got squeezed out.
02-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #776
Pentaxian

I wonder how usable the Wi-Fi app is as a remote shutter release.
02-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #777
Pentaxian

I've found the WIFi on the flu card doesn't so what I wanted. I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on. As far as I can tell, that hasn't been done. I've also found the range to be so limited as to be next to useless. I was thinking sit in my kitchen, use the remote to get pictures of birds at the feeder. Have to be so close to the camera for the WIFi remote to work, I may as well be standing by the feeder myself. That's with the flu card, maybe the camera will be better, but I'll believe it when I see it.
02-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on.
That will be quite an accomplishment... connect to a turn-off / power-off device and get stuff from it without power flowing through it .
02-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #779
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on ... I was thinking sit in my kitchen, use the remote to get pictures of birds at the feeder. Have to be so close to the camera for the WIFi remote to work, I may as well be standing by the feeder myself.
Camera turned off equals wifi turned off.

With the remote shooting, it's standard wi-fi without the multiple channel tricks of modern routers, so the old guesstimate used to be three interior walls will reduce the signal to unreliable. Metal anywhere (like a layer of insulation sheeting) will act like a mirror and be impenetrable to the waves. Your microwave oven, home router and other appliances using 2.4Ghz will give interference.

So the real estate agent's mantra of position-position-position rules with wi-fi. There'll be both deadspots and areas which receive unusual bounced reception (maybe a long way away) - be surprised where it goes and where it doesn't! :-)

Outside is a much clearer environment, which is why radio flash triggering has proven more reliable than optical.
02-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #780
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
That will be quite an accomplishment... connect to a turn-off / power-off device and get stuff from it without power flowing through it .

My Photobucket can give me the option to download to my device, whatever it is, but my FluCard can't., what .. the idea is, you have both devices turned on, you download from the camera to the iPad, you turn the camera off.... critical for folks like me who are working with limited battery on long trips. I simply will not waste a half hour of battery life on my camera, so I can look at the day's pictures.