Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #781
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind a simple, functional and somewhat true screen. If my photos look better on the rear LCD than they look in reality, and especially if they look very sharp and I get home and I didn't nail that focus - I'd be pretty pissed. So I don't see the point of OLED screens, or at least I'm not really willing to pay for them.

02-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Yes, it is a surprising lack. The cheapest previous models had the possibility to connect an external wired remote control. Maybe it is a mistake in the specifications.
Some have a wired port, some do not. The K-m/x/r/01/S1 do not. The K-30/50/500 do. The K-S1 is very close in dimensions to the K-x/r; I think the wired port got squeezed out.
02-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how usable the Wi-Fi app is as a remote shutter release.
02-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #784
Pentaxian

I've found the WIFi on the flu card doesn't so what I wanted. I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on. As far as I can tell, that hasn't been done. I've also found the range to be so limited as to be next to useless. I was thinking sit in my kitchen, use the remote to get pictures of birds at the feeder. Have to be so close to the camera for the WIFi remote to work, I may as well be standing by the feeder myself. That's with the flu card, maybe the camera will be better, but I'll believe it when I see it.

02-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #785
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on.
That will be quite an accomplishment... connect to a turn-off / power-off device and get stuff from it without power flowing through it .
02-20-2015, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #786
Pentaxian

I've found the biggest weakness with the FluCard to be that it only works in host mode. It would have been so much better if it had been able to connect to an existing network as client, then be controllable from multiple computers, browsable storage, etc. without disconnecting from your primary network. This would have the added benefit of extending the range to anywhere your wireless router reaches.

Having to have the camera on to use the FLUcard is not an issue for me, since the wireless is going to have to be powered somehow, and the alternative is that the card would be constantly draining the camera's batteries, even when it is powered down.

I've found the WIFi on the flu card doesn't so what I wanted. I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on. As far as I can tell, that hasn't been done. I've also found the range to be so limited as to be next to useless. I was thinking sit in my kitchen, use the remote to get pictures of birds at the feeder. Have to be so close to the camera for the WIFi remote to work, I may as well be standing by the feeder myself. That's with the flu card, maybe the camera will be better, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited by dcshooter; 02-20-2015 at 10:47 AM.
02-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #787
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wanted to be able to browse pics on my iPad without the camera turned on ... I was thinking sit in my kitchen, use the remote to get pictures of birds at the feeder. Have to be so close to the camera for the WIFi remote to work, I may as well be standing by the feeder myself.
Camera turned off equals wifi turned off.

With the remote shooting, it's standard wi-fi without the multiple channel tricks of modern routers, so the old guesstimate used to be three interior walls will reduce the signal to unreliable. Metal anywhere (like a layer of insulation sheeting) will act like a mirror and be impenetrable to the waves. Your microwave oven, home router and other appliances using 2.4Ghz will give interference.

So the real estate agent's mantra of position-position-position rules with wi-fi. There'll be both deadspots and areas which receive unusual bounced reception (maybe a long way away) - be surprised where it goes and where it doesn't! :-)

Outside is a much clearer environment, which is why radio flash triggering has proven more reliable than optical.
02-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #788
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
That will be quite an accomplishment... connect to a turn-off / power-off device and get stuff from it without power flowing through it .

My Photobucket can give me the option to download to my device, whatever it is, but my FluCard can't., what .. the idea is, you have both devices turned on, you download from the camera to the iPad, you turn the camera off.... critical for folks like me who are working with limited battery on long trips. I simply will not waste a half hour of battery life on my camera, so I can look at the day's pictures.

02-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #789
Veteran Member

My Photobucket can give me the option to download to my device, whatever it is, but my FluCard can't., what .. the idea is, you have both devices turned on, you download from the camera to the iPad, you turn the camera off.... critical for folks like me who are working with limited battery on long trips. I simply will not waste a half hour of battery life on my camera, so I can look at the day's pictures.
Sorry but the way you said it the first time it sounded like you were expecting a device to completely turn off or on based on a wi-fi call.
The thing is that you cannot turn-off the camera completely and expect it to "answer wi-fi calls". You need the camera to be in a "stand-by" mode rather than be turned off. As far as I know, there is no such technology that allows you to turn on and off a device without some sort-off "listener" that is in direct contact with your device and can turn it on or off when the call is made. And this will require constant power... so your battery will slowly drain away. Unless you manually turn off and on the camera.
02-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #790
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Sorry but the way you said it the first time it sounded like you were expecting a device to completely turn off or on based on a wi-fi call.
The thing is that you cannot turn-off the camera completely and expect it to "answer wi-fi calls". You need the camera to be in a "stand-by" mode rather than be turned off. As far as I know, there is no such technology that allows you to turn on and off a device without some sort-off "listener" that is in direct contact with your device and can turn it on or off when the call is made. And this will require constant power... so your battery will slowly drain away. Unless you manually turn off and on the camera.
Doh...
02-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doh...
Been there, done that.
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #792

I am not too clear what is the wi-fi on K-S2. I have seen that it can communicate with a smartphone.
I would like to transfer photos from K-S2 card (usual card not the expensive Flucard) to a HDD connected to a Windows PC. Will be possible this with the K-S2?
02-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #793
Pentaxian

WiFi connection is usually slow for file transfer, especially for RAW files. Could be different with this new K-S2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Card readers are still the best and most reliable solution, and they are very cheap. You can even find some USB v3 readers now, which are much faster
02-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
WiFi connection is usually slow for file transfer, especially for RAW files. Could be different with this new K-S2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Card readers are still the best and most reliable solution, and they are very cheap. You can even find some USB v3 readers now, which are much faster
I would only use the WiFI to transfer the jpegs, so, not really an issue, and the reason for transferring from WifI would be, I could select the images I want to download. For example, if I shoot a 23 image burst of a moose crossing a river, I Just want the keepers on my iPad, not the whole series. So I might choose to down;road 2 or 3 of the 23 onto my iPad, it should be simple. If I download the whole Flucard, which would be easy. I have a card reader for that, cost me 40 bucks.
02-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't mind a simple, functional and somewhat true screen. If my photos look better on the rear LCD than they look in reality, and especially if they look very sharp and I get home and I didn't nail that focus - I'd be pretty pissed. So I don't see the point of OLED screens, or at least I'm not really willing to pay for them.
I think the idea of a good screen on the camera is to be able to judge exactly what you got. And if you want to figure out if you nailed that focus... zoom in. The resolution on the camera screen will always be lower than that of the actual image (and if it does have the same resolution, you still can't tell because your eyes can't resolve that much on such a small screen.

@normhead: Samsung claims (up to) 50 meter range on their NX1, I suppose if Pentax did their job right you can expect something like that from the K-S2 too. Though 50 meter sounds rather optimistic. Transfer speeds were quite decent, in the demo video it took something like a second to transfer a 6 MB file. Should be better than what the FluCard can do. Though on the other hand the video feed from the NX1 on the smartphone looked much better than that of the K-S2 demo from CP. The NX1 had perhaps 15 fps, the K-S2 looked more like 2 fps... hopefully they will improve that until the launch.