Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #796
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
The KS2 will not be controllable with the Image Sync application unless you are willing to spend many $ for an iPhone. You won't be able to control it with an ipad because it doesn't have the NFC chip and Apple does not intend to include it in future ipads. Since the KS2 also doesn't have a wired remote jack, it becomes less and less interesting. At least, I can control my K30 with a wired remote and also a Wireless RF transmitter that works fine. I wanted to buy the KS2 but will probably get a K3 since it's a much better camera than the KS2 and the price difference is only $20. in Canada right now. I had high hopes for the KS2 but it's a big disapointment for me anyway.

02-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #797
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Do not be to quick to judge the wi-fi whirl. Read between the line's. When I mention read between the line's it does not mean the word's.
Think about the M*D*L line. Between 6:45am and full sunrise after k3 this spring.
02-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #798
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 290
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would only use the WiFI to transfer the jpegs, so, not really an issue, and the reason for transferring from WifI would be, I could select the images I want to download. For example, if I shoot a 23 image burst of a moose crossing a river, I Just want the keepers on my iPad, not the whole series. So I might choose to down;road 2 or 3 of the 23 onto my iPad, it should be simple. If I download the whole Flucard, which would be easy. I have a card reader for that, cost me 40 bucks.
A cardreader for a cellphone is cheap on ebay. You download only what want, at least on a Galaxy.
02-21-2015, 03:47 AM   #799
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
A cardreader for a cellphone is cheap on ebay. You download only what want, at least on a Galaxy.
All you need is an USG OTG cable and a regular card reader. I bought one from Transcend with USB 3.0, and it works great. Total cost less than 10 Euro. Now I should probably find a raw viewer for my camera.

I devices are a bit different, not surprised it costs more there. For a start they don't have a USB port.

It would be great if you could just connect the camera to an external hard drive or USB drive and copy the files that way.

02-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #800
Senior Member
ZeljkoS's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Banja Luka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 291
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would only use the WiFI to transfer the jpegs, so, not really an issue, and the reason for transferring from WifI would be, I could select the images I want to download. For example, if I shoot a 23 image burst of a moose crossing a river, I Just want the keepers on my iPad, not the whole series. So I might choose to down;road 2 or 3 of the 23 onto my iPad, it should be simple. If I download the whole Flucard, which would be easy. I have a card reader for that, cost me 40 bucks.
That makes sense, and that's what I did with the Toshiba FlashAir card. But I found I just don't use it much because most of my photos are in RAW and I enjoy working on them later
02-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #801
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
It's not a mistake, there is no remote control jack. If you want to use Wifi with the Image Sync app, you need an iPhone, it won't work with an iPad. I'll forget the KS2 and get a K3 for $20. more. The K3 is a much better camera than the KS2 anyway in my opinion.
02-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #802
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Western Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
.....You won't be able to control it with an ipad because it doesn't have the NFC chip and Apple does not intend to include it in future ipads.
AFAIK the NFC chip only makes the WiFi connection easier, you will still be able to connect manually without it.
02-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #803
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
Has anyone seen that Image Sync application? Can't find it in the Apple or Google stores. Maybe it's too soon for that.

02-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #804
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,781
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
That makes sense, and that's what I did with the Toshiba FlashAir card. But I found I just don't use it much because most of my photos are in RAW and I enjoy working on them later
I have my K-3 to record in raw on the first card and jpeg on the Flucard, I'll download the raw files on my computer, on the my iPad I just want a record of what I have.
02-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #805
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 131
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
The KS2 will not be controllable with the Image Sync application unless you are willing to spend many $ for an iPhone. You won't be able to control it with an ipad because it doesn't have the NFC chip and Apple does not intend to include it in future ipads. Since the KS2 also doesn't have a wired remote jack, it becomes less and less interesting. At least, I can control my K30 with a wired remote and also a Wireless RF transmitter that works fine. I wanted to buy the KS2 but will probably get a K3 since it's a much better camera than the KS2 and the price difference is only $20. in Canada right now. I had high hopes for the KS2 but it's a big disapointment for me anyway.
Source of your information? Ricoh states on their website:
"With the built-in WiFi and NFC module, users can wirelessly control camera operation, transfer images, and view images, making image transferring and sharing easy and seamless. A dedicated app (Image Sync) is available for Android and iOS devices. Image Sync app brings improved ease of use to wireless tethering." (emphasis mine)
So my Android buddies will be able to control the K-S2 when it comes out, and it implies I'll be able to control it with my iPad since it's also an iOS device.
02-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #806
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
No NFC in the iPad.

You won't be able to control the KS2 with an iPad because it doesn't have the NFC chip. Apple say that they don't intend to put that in an iPad because they want you to buy an iPhone probably. I want to be able to control the camera, not just transfer pictures to a Cloud somewhere. I'll try to find another tablet which offers a NFC chip Inside. I might get lucky. I know that my Samsung phone doesn't have one.
02-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #807
Senior Member
ZeljkoS's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Banja Luka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 291
I think it will be possible to control it via WiFi, not just NFC.
02-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #808
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
I'll try to find another tablet which offers a NFC chip Inside. I might get lucky. I know that my Samsung phone doesn't have one.
Google Nexus 9
Google Project Tango
Hisense Sero 7

Dell Venue 11 Pro - VERY good tablets - one of my favorites (Dell Venue 11 Pro HD Windows Tablet | Dell Canada)!!!
Sony Xperia Z2
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Google Nexus 7
Google Nexus 10


etc...

Plenty of tables/phablets out there with NFC...
02-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #809
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
ZeljkoS , I hope your'e right.
02-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #810
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 131
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
You won't be able to control the KS2 with an iPad because it doesn't have the NFC chip. Apple say that they don't intend to put that in an iPad because they want you to buy an iPhone probably. I want to be able to control the camera, not just transfer pictures to a Cloud somewhere. I'll try to find another tablet which offers a NFC chip Inside. I might get lucky. I know that my Samsung phone doesn't have one.
I think you're misinterpreting what NFC can do. NFC has an extremely short range (a few inches), and it's often used to get two devices to quickly start a Wi-Fi connection (much larger range), but you can also make Wi-Fi connects without NFC. Also, a few inches is unpractical as a remote. I also used to own a NEX-5T, which also has NFC and Wifi, and I had no problems connecting the camera with my non-NFC iPhone by Wifi.

Ultimately, we'll get the answer when the camera and app are actually released, but my bet is that remote is done by Wifi, and NFC is an optional convenience.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ambassador, bit, camera, excitement, ff, forums, future, grip, k-3, k-s1, ken, legacy, lot, pentax, pentax brand, pentax news, pentax rumors, pm, post, ricoh, screen, sensor, source, space, time, touch, wi-fi, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 Camera Icon type is coming up wrong in Flickr Exif! dcpropilot Pentax K-3 2 12-20-2014 09:16 PM
That expensive case is coming with the K-01 chucuyuco Pentax K-01 5 03-10-2013 08:07 AM
Nature Spring is Coming Den Post Your Photos! 2 02-26-2013 08:41 AM
Is there anything coming to replace the K-5 KLSMpls Pentax K-5 18 03-28-2011 05:26 PM
My Lent is over--new K-x is coming Ira Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 08-03-2010 11:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top