Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #811
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
gerbilbox, thanks for the info, let's wait and see. Hopefully it will work with my iPad. Here is what Pentax says about this;

This model is Wi-Fi ready. With the dedicated smartphone app, you can shoot remotely, transfer and view images, and upload to social networking services from the palm of your hand. In addition, you can pair your NFC compatible smartphone with it just by waving your smartphone over the camera.

Maybe NFC is not needed. I hope so.

Last edited by VE2CJW; 02-21-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Incomplete.
02-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #812
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
you can pair your NFC compatible smartphone with it just by waving your smartphone over the camera
NFC supports auomatic handshaking and pairing. You will almost certainly be able to manually link any device that runs iOS or Android and can also run the app. You'll just have to manually enter the pairing information like we had to do before NFC (I imagine similarly to the Eye-Fi Pro card I manually paired to my Q and iPad a couple years ago before the FW update that installed the Eye-Fi Menu in the Q).
02-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #813

ZeljkoS , I hope your'e right.
Well, look at FluCard. It's not NFC, it's WiFi. And it allows controlling the K-3 remotely.

Wireless K-3 control: Pentax FluCard review: Digital Photography Review

So, I think that will be the same in K-S2. NFC is just more convenient, because if you are already using WiFi on your phone to connect to Internet, you can use NFC to control the camera.
If you don't have NFC, just use WiFi
02-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #814
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
Well, look at FluCard. It's not NFC, it's WiFi. And it allows controlling the K-3 remotely.

Wireless K-3 control: Pentax FluCard review: Digital Photography Review

So, I think that will be the same in K-S2. NFC is just more convenient, because if you are already using WiFi on your phone to connect to Internet, you can use NFC to control the camera.
If you don't have NFC, just use WiFi
Thanks a lot, it helps.

02-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #815
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I have a Samsung Mini NX, and NFC is a supplementary feature used to setup the wifi connection between devices.

It's not needed if you manually join the camera's network with your tablet..
02-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #816
Veteran Member

NFC is only there for quick connect between 2 devices. It doesn't do much else.
Control will be over WiFi always.
02-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #817
Site Supporter

Thanks guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
NFC is only there for quick connect between 2 devices. It doesn't do much else.
Control will be over WiFi always.
Now it's simpler to understand. Thanks again.
02-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #818

Photos: Albums
While the iPhone 6 has NFC hardware, it is presently limited to use with Apple Pay. I'm seriously thinking of getting the K-S2 and would like to get full functionality out of its wireless capabilities, so when it comes time to get at new phone this year, I might go Android if Apple has not opened things up by then. Here's a speculative post about expanded NFC functionality on the iPhone.

What Happens When iPhone NFC Opens Up ?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
NFC supports auomatic handshaking and pairing. You will almost certainly be able to manually link any device that runs iOS or Android and can also run the app. You'll just have to manually enter the pairing information like we had to do before NFC (I imagine similarly to the Eye-Fi Pro card I manually paired to my Q and iPad a couple years ago before the FW update that installed the Eye-Fi Menu in the Q).

02-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #819
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
While the iPhone 6 has NFC hardware, it is presently limited to use with Apple Pay. I'm seriously thinking of getting the K-S2 and would like to get full functionality out of its wireless capabilities, so when it comes time to get at new phone this year, I might go Android if Apple has not opened things up by then. Here's a speculative post about expanded NFC functionality on the iPhone.

What Happens When iPhone NFC Opens Up ?
NFC just helps make it easier to set up the pairing between devices. It does nothing once the devices are paired. It's merely there for convenience.

Don't expect Apple to give access to NFC, they didn't even implement it until there was money involved (Apple Pay). I've had NFC for at least a couple years in my Nokias.
02-24-2015, 03:52 AM   #820

K-S2 manual

K-S2 user manual, in french sorry....

PENTAX K-S2 - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
02-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #821
Pentaxian

The english version is also online now. I downloaded it and it seems legit. Last time i checked it was a link to the K-S1 manual :P

PENTAX K-S2 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

For example, one interesting point is that there is no mention of the "Composition adjustment using sensor-shift" which was present on the K-3 and also on the K-30/50 family, if i am not mistaken.

Last edited by simon_199; 02-24-2015 at 04:48 AM.
02-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #822

from the manual we can see that in this model video mode is still a failing part of Pentax. Pity.
Hopefully Ricoh Pentax will improve soon as they mentioned improvements are being worked on due to the growing demand. At least Ricoh Pentax keeps on being great for stills.
02-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
from the manual we can see that in this model video mode is still a failing part of Pentax. Pity.
Hopefully Ricoh Pentax will improve soon as they mentioned improvements are being worked on due to the growing demand. At least Ricoh Pentax keeps on being great for stills.
What exactly disappoints you? I haven't looked through the manual...
02-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #824

Now it's simpler to understand. Thanks again.

Your fears have been allayed by the just released K-S2 manual: it's has wifi instructions for connecting to non-NFC devices, and even uses a screenshot from an iPad. So all iOS machines can act as a remote for the new camera.
02-24-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #825

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
What exactly disappoints you? I haven't looked through the manual...
Mostly because it is pretty much the same as on K30, aperture can be set only before recording, so for convenient video shooting you still need to have legacy lenses with aperture ring ( that is fine cause older lenses are still better for video use, but would be nice to control aperture on DA lenses too(during video recording that is) , wifi is disabled during video recording, means no remote control while filming, There is no mention of focus peaking during video recording nor any mention of HDMI video output to external recorders. That is of course to be confirmed only by those who could try this or by engineers, but since wifi remote control is not available during video recording and aperture control is still not enabled during video recording leads to assume that nothing much really has changed since K30/K-S1. Hopefully decoder is improved. Only changes tat seem to be there are mic input and swivel screen that improves video features, some elements on this gorgeous cam seemed to be a possibility for more exciting things. But it is still a huge step from Pentax to the right direction.

I would love to upgrade for the swivel screen alone, but looks like the my eyes are now more on FF model and what to come after it at Pentax brand and NX1 if Ricoh Pentax insist on not giving some love for video and photography guys and girls. But there is still some time before the production versions reach the stores and they might surprise with similar decoder like the one found in OM-D EM5 mark 2, that would be pleasant and worth thinking to upgrade too.