Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I think that's the idea ... just quietly forget all about the K-S1
I don't think this will replace the K-S1. The K-S1 will just go a little lower in price perhaps, better suited for people who want to step up from a smartphone (aka the camera's intended audience...like Ricoh has said a few times it was never intended FOR US!!!). This new camera is a weathersealed K50 successor.

02-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll buy it happily if it supports the GPS and if the specs are better than my K30, otherwise I'll keep the K30 and wait for another replacement.
02-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #108

So is this model between the K50 and the K3? If I'm in the market for a K3, should I be considering this one and why?
02-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
That looks promising!
So K-S1 was K-500's replacement.

The retracted kit lens looks really small.
Absolutely, that's not your grandpa's 18-55

02-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by astron Quote
I don't think this will replace the K-S1. The K-S1 will just go a little lower in price perhaps, better suited for people who want to step up from a smartphone (aka the camera's intended audience...like Ricoh has said a few times it was never intended FOR US!!!). This new camera is a weathersealed K50 successor.
Not sure how the K-S1 was received over there but here it has been a total failure .. so much so in Amazons black Friday deals there was a free flucard, free 50mm and £40 cashback along with a reduced price .... the camera body after all freebies came to just over £100 and they still only sold about 15% of stock each time.
02-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Am I the only person here who, if this is the K-50 replacement, doesn't like it? It is a great improvement over the K-S1, but as a K-50 replacement as well...

I sort of feel the K-30/K-50 were more serious, well designed bodies for beginners,amateurs,semi-goodphotogs, good photogs, really good photogs... this looks so much more consumer oriented. The K-50 fit everything.

I mean... I like the new tech they are adding to the camera... just not the body design, everything is more cramped. (But I can't argue the black/white looks cool!)
As I commented in response to another negative comment, the less serious a camera looks the happier I feel. Truly serious folk can buy the K-3, but a camera like this, especially if it comes in a none-serious color (unfortunately I'd probably have to pay an extra $100 to get it in gold/black, so I may have to settle for red or white), may help me and my non-serious camera to be ignored. A tilting or articulating LCD helps with that, because I might be able to use my brother's trick of looking down at the camera and seeming to fiddle with the controls when I'm actually taking a picture.
02-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Damn, there was nothing like that here. I've been watching for one.

02-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #113

Has the price been posted and I missed it?
02-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
The big boys pay them for publicity. No surprises here. That's how the world works.

And it's not like they ignore Pentax; their review of the K-S1 was generally favourable.

Heise can't be blamed for concentrating on items that will generate increased readership. They wish to maximise their revenues and I doubt that Pentax are of much help in this respect.

If you wish to be consistent, you should also be blaming pentaxforums for not giving equal attention to Sony or Samsung.
Yes, of cause, I know it's no surpise, but it's still annoying. But why should a pentaxforum give attention to other brands the same way a journal called "foto" does ?
02-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Not sure how the K-S1 was received over there but here it has been a total failure .. so much so in Amazons black Friday deals there was a free flucard, free 50mm and £40 cashback along with a reduced price .... the camera body after all freebies came to just over £100 and they still only sold about 15% of stock each time.
I was recently in a large cameras store in Ohio that carries Pentax/Ricoh and everything else under the sun. They had all Pentax cameras from the K-50 (multiple colors on display) to the 645Z. However, I don't think they had a K-S1. That told me something about how the cameras is doing.
02-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
The retracted kit lens looks really small.
I really wish they would make something similar for the Q-family!!
02-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I really wish they would make something similar for the Q-family!!
Yeah, that's one thing they should have made for Q long time ago.
02-06-2015, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
Yes, of cause, I know it's no surpise, but it's still annoying. But why should a pentaxforum give attention to other brands the same way a journal called "foto" does ?
I've argued as much.... but, long story short, I like to know what's happening in the world of photography. That Canon is coming out with a 50 MP FF sensor in June.... I'd like to have a response ready before my Canon using friends start rubbing it in my face. Please don't make me enrol in Canon sites to stay current.

If you are at all serious about photography, you want to know where to turn, if your current set up isn't doing what you want. IN that regard, some "I'm leaving Pentax because " threads are very informative. On those occasions where you have someone who is leaving Pentax because he/she can't comprehend a camera manual, it can be very disturbing, because if they can't comprehend a Pentax manual, they won't be able to comprehend anyone else's manual either. But, like the guy looking for wide angle tilt shift for architecture... there is just nothing available on K-mount. And what is available doesn't work as well as what's available for Canon. That's useful information. That's the kind of thing you need filed away in the back of your mind, just in case you ever need it.
02-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That told me something about how the cameras is doing.
It's The K-01 Effect™.

Did they not carry it because it did poorly or did it do poorly because they did not carry it?
02-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That told me something about how the cameras is doing.
It's The K-01 Effect™.

Did they not carry it because it did poorly or did it do poorly because they did not carry it?