Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It will be named KS-2 yes.
Thanks for all of your information. PF should put you on the payroll, you sure have generated a lot of excitement on thees forms in the past few weeks!

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It was clearly designed and priced for the Japanese market, and since that is nearly 85% of Ricoh's camera sales (compared to about 3% for the US), that's where the K-S1 will be a success or failure. How it does in the US won't have much of an impact on the bottom line. With the collapse of the point-and-shoot segment, we had better hope the colorful toy cameras continue to be successful in Japan, because that's what funds development of the high-end stuff.
Your numbers tell me the U.S. is the market Pentax needs to work on, while be careful not to compromise their bread and butter.

02-06-2015, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Make sure you tell them that he has been active in the forums doing a better job promoting the Pentax brand and its vision for he future than any other Pentax ambassador.

If you browse the forums you'll get to that same conclusion. Ken's a good guy, he's enthusiastic about Pentax and photography, and he knows what the future plans are. You might think it's a bad thing for him to spend his own personal time coming here and mingling with us, but I think a lot of us really appreciate him doing that.

Oh and tell them to make asahi man an ambassador as well. He's done more "ambassador type work" than the others prior to Ken ever did
Thank you! All time i spend here, is on my own time. I could have done other things, but i feel its important to get some enthusiasm back into a great company Its not required by Ricoh for me to do this, but they like it and appreciate me for doing more then what it says on the contract.

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Thanks for all of your information. PF should put you on the payroll, you sure have generated a lot of excitement on thees forms in the past few weeks!
Good to hear..We like excitement. Pentax and its users deserve some good times now!

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 06:33 PM ----------

But back to the camera. As stated many times, i cant say everything, but the KS-2 has some neat features, that will make it a much better and fun alternative, especially compared with what other brands have to offer in that range
02-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It's The K-01 Effect™.

Did they not carry it because it did poorly or did it do poorly because they did not carry it?
Maybe Adorama and B&H can influence the US camera market by what they carry but it's hard to believe any other retailer could other than Best Buy on the low end. So, I think that limits the possible answers to your question. BTW, they carried the K-01 when it was out and long before the fire sale prices went into effect.
02-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #184
Pentaxian

Thank you! All time i spend here, is on my own time. I could have done other things, but i feel its important to get some enthusiasm back into a great company Its not required by Ricoh for me to do this, but they like it and appreciate me for doing more then what it says on the contract.
I understand the ambassador thing, that's why I said it. It's not much different than a musician that becomes an endorsee for a top brand - they'll do workshops and generally represent the brand and get paid for their expenses and for specific events - but they're not an employee. I come from that music background. And they get some free stuff. That's it - they still have their "day job" with the band the same way you have your "day job" actually taking pictures.

02-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #185
Veteran Member

But back to the camera. As stated many times, i cant say everything, but the KS-2 has some neat features, that will make it a much better and fun alternative, especially compared with what other brands have to offer in that range
At least please tell me this... because I am with a foot on the buy zone...
A6000 vs KS-2... what its better based on the specs you have? No need to tell me the specs. Just tell me an honest opinion based on what you know.
02-06-2015, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #186
Veteran Member

THAT is a part of my job as an ambassador. I discussed it with Pentax, today at latest, what i have been saying in social medias and forums, and everything i've shared so far, has been inside the limits. They even thanked me for doing a better job beside my shooting, then they expected. I guess most people understand that i cant share all i know. But i hope most people appreciate my postings in here. Even though a grumpy old grouch doesnt like it. But if most people wants me to shut up, i will
There always has been and always will be a contingent of PF members who, from all appearances, are genetically incapable of tolerating any hint of good concerning Pentax.

They are small in number, though by the sheer number of their posts tend to dominate conversation at times. You will quickly learn to identify these folks.

It's best to not engage them, as argument is their only sustenance, sowing discord their only joy, and logic and common sense hold no sway over them.

Instead, keep posting for those of us who enjoy photography more than drama. There are a lot of talented, smart folks here and we can all learn from each other.
02-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

Unfortunately, we have close to zero visibility on how the K-S1 is doing in Japan. It was clearly designed and priced for the Japanese market, and since that is nearly 85% of Ricoh's camera sales (compared to about 3% for the US), that's where the K-S1 will be a success or failure. How it does in the US won't have much of an impact on the bottom line. With the collapse of the point-and-shoot segment, we had better hope the colorful toy cameras continue to be successful in Japan, because that's what funds development of the high-end stuff.
Is there any data confirming a country with 2% of the world's population accounts for 85% of Ricoh's camera sales? More important, what percentage of their DSLR sales are in Japan?

There's nothing special about the N. American camera market. If a product has no appeal here, it likely doesn't have much most anywhere else, too.

02-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Maybe Adorama and B&H can influence the US camera market by what they carry but it's hard to believe any other retailer could other than Best Buy on the low end. So, I think that limits the possible answers to your question. BTW, they carried the K-01 when it was out and long before the fire sale prices went into effect.
The specialized store market needs to be conquered first, then places like Best Buy might follow. That's why the FF is so important. The 645Z already got Pentax a foot in the door (like at Showcase, the most traditional pro photo and video store in the Atlanta area, where a Pentax hadn't been seen for many years). The FF will consolidate that, I think.
02-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
It wasn't difficult to track you down online. I see you are a Pentax ambassador. So you trudge online forums, gleefully pointing out to people that you know something they don't. Is that your idea of representing Pentax? And frivolously telling people you will kill them if they found out about what you know? I am seriously gonna have a word with Pentax about you.

What. The. F...?!

He has an NDA probably that doesn't allow him to talk about this stuff. That he is even hinting at it might be taking a risk, but he is nice enough to do it.

Also, Pentax has said before that they will simply release several cameras in the K-S line, and they do not have to be related. They aren't successors of each other, they are just numbered in sequence so that they get a name.

Ps: kenspo: Any clue about video SR? I just have to say that to keep my reputation But it'd be really nice to find out if they will finally enable it again, or, if not, to let them know that the noise it makes is not an issue, because you can easily work your way around it. It's a shame that their recent cameras were held back unnecessarily, having this feature could get Pentax some attention in the video community (Olympus is getting that + sales even though they are pretty meh for video).
Also, will there be a K-50 successor? Because this K-S2 really looks like one, so why the name? They must have something else in the works?

@monochrome: I can understand her reasoning though. It's might confuse clients/others you are talking to. IMHO if it is really necessary to put Ricoh below the screen, it should be in the form of Ricoh Pentax.

@normhead: Those pixels in the new 50 MP Canon will be tiny... nothing like what you find in the 645Z Also it looks like the Canon will be pretty bad for video (which continues the Canon doesn't want to sell good video functionality theme that's been going on for a while... they can make more profit selling their cinema series of cameras).

Damn, what has happened? I am getting more and more excited about Pentaxes future!
02-06-2015, 10:42 AM - 3 Likes   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
It wasn't difficult to track you down online. I see you are a Pentax ambassador. So you trudge online forums, gleefully pointing out to people that you know something they don't. Is that your idea of representing Pentax? And frivolously telling people you will kill them if they found out about what you know? I am seriously gonna have a word with Pentax about you.
We have a high-level professional photographer being recruited by Ricoh Imaging, who joined this forum and tries to bring some optimism (which so far proved to be genuine). And you want to ask Ricoh what, to cease his contract? To cease sending him information? To stop using "Ambassadors" altogether, because they might be too enthusiastic to your liking? You're threatening Kenneth with retaliation, for what exactly?

He's dead right about the K-S2; both the name (already leaked) and that it's not a K-S1 replacement (nor priced the same). That's all that should matter.
02-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Oh boy - it was kind of a rhetorical question and a reference to the NFMsNFA syndrome.

But, OK - in the US as a gadget the K-S1 probably hasn't sold well for what a very nice camera it actually is.
02-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #192
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Make sure you tell them that he has been active in the forums doing a better job promoting the Pentax brand and its vision for he future than any other Pentax ambassador.

If you browse the forums you'll get to that same conclusion. Ken's a good guy, he's enthusiastic about Pentax and photography, and he knows what the future plans are. You might think it's a bad thing for him to spend his own personal time coming here and mingling with us, but I think a lot of us really appreciate him doing that.
How well or how poorly he does in terms of representing Pentax is a matter of opinion. I actually think his task would be more worthwhile if he did his proselytising among Nikonites and Canonites. Preaching to converts is quite pointless. By the way, he was not selected directly by Ricoh as ambassador. It was Focus Nordic who thought it might be a good a idea to get this guy to promote a segment of their products. I know the Scandinavian languages, so I have a reasonably clear overview of what this guy is up to.
02-06-2015, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
At least please tell me this... because I am with a foot on the buy zone...
A6000 vs KS-2... what its better based on the specs you have? No need to tell me the specs. Just tell me an honest opinion based on what you know.
I havent tested the A6000, but its a nice camera for shure. But with the KS-2, you would get access to much better lineup of lenses, and it will get a few cool features you dont get in the Sony one. KS-2 will be better in weather too, especially with some of the new accessories that will come!
02-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@monochrome: I can understand her reasoning though. It's might confuse clients/others you are talking to. IMHO if it is really necessary to put Ricoh below the screen, it should be in the form of Ricoh Pentax.
Oh I absolutely get her point. Which is why I was so surprised how small it actually is.

I worked for a company that had a very public brand identity. We were acquired by a similar company with a distinctly different brand identity that wanted our premier manufacturing prowess and leading products. In just 4 years our old brand was entirely subsumed, to the point a new customer wouldn't even know the old company ever existed. The old name isn't used anywhere, we've destroyed all paper and digital references - everything is re-branded as under the new owners. It feels like the new guys stole our hearts and 35 years of our work. There's nothing I can do about it but quit or submit.

That's the real risk.
02-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Ps: kenspo: Any clue about video SR? I just have to say that to keep my reputation
If the camera have SR, it would work on videomode too..Dont you think?