Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 10:55 AM - 5 Likes   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
How well or how poorly he does in terms of representing Pentax is a matter of opinion. I actually think his task would be more worthwhile if he did his proselytising among Nikonites and Canonites. Preaching to converts is quite pointless. By the way, he was not selected directly by Ricoh as ambassador. It was Focus Nordic who thought it might be a good a idea to get this guy to promote a segment of their products. I know the Scandinavian languages, so I have a reasonably clear overview of what this guy is up to.
OK. But I like what he is doing. So you've got one vote and I just canceled it.

02-06-2015, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #197
Veteran Member

How well or how poorly he does in terms of representing Pentax is a matter of opinion. I actually think his task would be more worthwhile if he did his proselytising among Nikonites and Canonites. Preaching to converts is quite pointless. By the way, he was not selected directly by Ricoh as ambassador. It was Focus Nordic who thought it might be a good a idea to get this guy to promote a segment of their products. I know the Scandinavian languages, so I have a reasonably clear overview of what this guy is up to.
That is correct. Through Ricoh, i am only K-3 ambassador, everything else is through Focus Nordic, who represent Ricoh/Pentax in Scandinavia But what do you think im up too, since you seem to be Mr Know it all?
02-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #198
Pentaxian

monochrome - I'll add my vote to yours; now it's decided
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If the camera have SR, it would work on videomode too..Dont you think?
Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true - we're talking about sensor shift SR here. The K-3 has only "software" SR on video mode, AFAIK.
But, why are you winking?
02-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I think you should take that as a hint... . At least that's how I see it.

02-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
monochrome - I'll add my vote to yours; now it's decided

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true - we're talking about sensor shift SR here. The K-3 has only "software" SR on video mode, AFAIK.
Dont know..I dont want to give away more then i should And it seems like not everyone is happy with me beeing here.
02-06-2015, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #201
Veteran Member

I know the Scandinavian languages, so I have a reasonably clear overview of what this guy is up to.
LOL...what is he "up to", pray tell?

kenspo, keep on doing what you're doing! Many of us really appreciate it.
02-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OK. But I like what he is doing. So you've got one vote and I just canceled it.
As i answered to him, "Through Ricoh, i am only K-3 ambassador, everything else is through Focus Nordic, who represent Ricoh/Pentax in Scandinavia" So, i have nothing to hide!

02-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh I absolutely get her point. Which is why I was so surprised how small it actually is.

I worked for a company that had a very public brand identity. We were acquired by a similar company with a distinctly different brand identity that wanted our premier manufacturing prowess and leading products. In just 4 years our old brand was entirely subsumed, to the point a new customer wouldn't even know the old company ever existed. The old name isn't used anywhere, we've destroyed all paper and digital references - everything is re-branded as under the new owners. It feels like the new guys stole our hearts and 35 years of our work. There's nothing I can do about it but quit or submit.

That's the real risk.
Names are important because of what they convey to others.

In 1970, the Great Northern and Northern Pacific railroads merged; together they owned something like 96% of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad, so it was included in the merger. Before naming their new railroad, they conducted surveys to determine which names had the most positive connotations in the minds of the public. By far, the highest rating was "Burlington", presumably because of the ground-breaking advances in passenger equipment pioneered by the CB&Q.

Thus, the new railroad was named Burlington Northern, with the name contribution from the junior member of the merger leading, and the joint contribution from the senior members following. Accountants include the value of a name under the asset category of "goodwill". I am sure that Ricoh recognizes the value of the name "Pentax" they acquired and will continue to use it.
02-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Is there any data confirming a country with 2% of the world's population accounts for 85% of Ricoh's camera sales? More important, what percentage of their DSLR sales are in Japan?
It's straight from Ricoh's financial reports. See this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287806-ricoh-digita...er-region.html

(Note that the OP switched "The Americas" from the report to "America", but the US is only part of the 4.1% reported for "The Americas". PF member RGlasel estimated it's about 60% of the 4.1%, which seems reasonable. No data on DSLRs, unfortunately.)

There's nothing special about the N. American camera market. If a product has no appeal here, it likely doesn't have much most anywhere else, too.
The Q appears to be quite popular in Japan, and virtually nonexistent in the North American market.

Last edited by THoog; 02-06-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Credit where it's due.
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The Q appears to be quite popular in Japan, and virtually nonexistent in the North American market.
Similarly, the Canon EOS-M bombed in the US, but it did well enough in Asia that they released an EOS-M2, but only in Asia.

When I bought my Q7 from a US source, I bought an 01 lens from a Japanese source (because I couldn't find a US source)
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #206
Veteran Member

Well, why don't you identify the source?
Stop already. He's proven over and over and over again that he's been right. He's a Pentax Pro and so has inside information but has limits on what he can tell us. It's not a hard concept - he knows, but can only tell us certain things and certain amounts.
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #207

Does anyone know if this camera will have an external microphone input for video recording?

Jim
02-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any data confirming a country with 2% of the world's population accounts for 85% of Ricoh's camera sales?
It's from this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287806-ricoh-digita...er-region.html and if you go to Ricoh's corporate website, the only business they promote in the Other business unit is consumer cameras, not even their surveillance products or industrial optics. What percentage of that 84.6% is DSLRs isn't indicated in public documents, but with the Americas region only contributing 4.1% of revenue for this business unit, it doesn't really matter if the product mix is significantly different in the U.S. compared to Japan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the K-S1 is just as big of a disappointment in Japan as it is in the rest of the world; to bring out the K-S2 with consumer-oriented features like wi-fi so soon after the launch of the K-S1 suggests that Ricoh realizes they need to give consumers in the sub-$1000 camera market something that will make them forget the K-S1. Unlike some, I have absolutely no inside knowledge of how Ricoh operates, but they do seem to follow common principles in product development and marketing.
02-06-2015, 11:13 AM - 4 Likes   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Dont know..I dont want to give away more then i should And it seems like not everyone is happy with me beeing here.
You can't please everyone. Particularly those that just like to argue. I know that many of us are very happy to have you here and have appreciated your comments. Please keep telling us whatever you can that will not jeopardize your position with Pentax!
02-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #210

Weather Sealing

How confident are we that the K-S2 is weather sealed? I was disappointed that the 1 was not. Having a weather sealed lens attached is no guarantee that the camera is sealed.