Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's straight from Ricoh's financial reports. See this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/287806-ricoh-digita...er-region.html

(Note that the OP switched "The Americas" from the report to "America", but the US is only part of the 4.1% reported for "The Americas". Another poster estimated it's about 60% of the 4.1%, which seems reasonable. No data on DSLRs, unfortunately.)

The Q appears to be quite popular in Japan, and virtually nonexistent in the North American market.
Thanks for the link. Since EMEA is not all that different than the Americas in revenue, there must be something unique about Ricoh's efforts in Japan coupled with a distinctly different market profile there. If you're going to have sustainable success in cameras, it seems like you shouldn't rely on a country of 127 million as your market. Also, we can reasonably guess that nearly 85% sales in Japan must reflect a whole bunch of Qs and GRs in the mix.

02-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgm2 Quote
How confident are we that the K-S2 is weather sealed? I was disappointed that the 1 was not. Having a weather sealed lens attached is no guarantee that the camera is sealed.
Not a guarantee, but a strong hint. I would be surprised if it wasn't sealed.

@RGlasel: I don't think Pentax could have launched the K-S1, waited reports on how well it sells, then design a new camera with features like WiFi and svivel screen AND start selling it soon. This thing must have been in the works for a while... hopefully the K-S1 will be upgraded with these features (at least WiFi), because of who it is aimed at.

@kenspo: Sent you a PM... though I get the feeling that you were hinting at something.
02-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #213
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgm2 Quote
How confident are we that the K-S2 is weather sealed? I was disappointed that the 1 was not. Having a weather sealed lens attached is no guarantee that the camera is sealed.
Well, AFAIK, K-500, and K-S1, both not weather sealed, was released with non WR DA-L lenses... they wouldn't kit WR lens with non-WR body.
02-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like I'm too slow to provide factual information (THoog beat me to the punch), so I'll add some speculation that will probably be proven wrong before the end of February. No way a successor to the K-3 comes to market before late 2016. The K-S2 is clearly designed to attract less serious buyers than the K-3, and the new Pentax FF will be targeted at buyers for whom the K-3 isn't serious enough. Technology-wise, the K-3 is far from obsolete, and will continue to have some advantages over the K-S2 (24 mp sensor instead of 20 mp, better metering and AF, LCD on top of body).

The pricing of the K-S2 will be higher than the K-S1, so more expensive than the K-50, and probably within 20% of the current price for the K-3. The K-S1 will be discounted even more to compete with the least expensive Canon DLSRs, and hopefully sell enough to recoup the investment in its development. The K-3 will probably not drop any further in price until its replacement is announced early in 2016. I'll qualify that statement by saying that if the price of the K-S2 drops within 12 months of its introduction, the price of the K-3 will probably drop to stay within a 20% premium over the K-S2.

If it becomes impossible to sell any K-S1's, Pentax might eventually drop out of the low-end part of the DSLR market altogether. If any part of the ILC market disappears over the next 2-3 years, it will be entry-level DSLRs (in any format). Unfortunately (in my opinion only), MILCs are here to stay, in small numbers, because they have become a fashion accessory for people who want to look like serious photographers without actually spending much time taking photographs. Flame away!

02-06-2015, 11:48 AM - 3 Likes   #215
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You can't please everyone. Particularly those that just like to argue. I know that many of us are very happy to have you here and have appreciated your comments. Please keep telling us whatever you can that will not jeopardize your position with Pentax!
^^ Yeah, what he said. ^^
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
How well or how poorly he does in terms of representing Pentax is a matter of opinion. I actually think his task would be more worthwhile if he did his proselytising among Nikonites and Canonites. Preaching to converts is quite pointless. By the way, he was not selected directly by Ricoh as ambassador. It was Focus Nordic who thought it might be a good a idea to get this guy to promote a segment of their products. I know the Scandinavian languages, so I have a reasonably clear overview of what this guy is up to.
He is a Pentax ambassador. Not a Nordic ambassador or whatever other name. And he's on the Ricoh page. So whatever you're trying to do to discredit him - it's not working. It makes one wonder what your motivation here is.

Edit: he just clarified that he is a K-3 ambassador for Ricoh/Pentax, so he is directly selected by Ricoh as an ambassador, and now it's his word against yours, Dominic. Since he's on the Ricoh webpage, I think he's the one telling the truth!
02-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I don't think Pentax could have launched the K-S1, waited reports on how well it sells, then design a new camera with features like WiFi and svivel screen AND start selling it soon. This thing must have been in the works for a while
You could be right, but if the K-S2 uses the same sensor and processor as the K-S1, the development time required to launch a similar functioning camera in a WR case is minimal. Pentax could have been developing both cameras at the same time, working with similar components, and didn't want to cannibalize K-50 sales. Then they would have released the K-S1 first to try to attract customers who would have had little interest in the K-50. However, to attract the kind of customers they were seeking, the K-S1 had to be a more attractive design than it is and I don't think the market it was aimed at is as interested in buying a larger than pocket-sized, standalone camera as Pentax's marketing department believed.

02-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
MILCs are here to stay, in small numbers, because they have become a fashion accessory for people who want to look like serious photographers without actually spending much time taking photographs. Flame away!
No flames ... but I respectfully disagree.

I believe that the way to look like a serious photographer is to have a "stealth" camera that looks like a Canon T-90, smooth contours and black. Most MILCs are nearly indistinguishable from a P&S, but you can recognize that T-90 style from fifty feet. I first started looking at MILCs because I was looking for a replacement for my pocket-able camera, and even a serious MILC, like an A6000, is pocket-able when equipped with the right lens. My pocket-able camera at the time was a Canon Elph, so I was looking for a way to seriously improve the pictures I was taking.

Eventually I got a Q7. it is not a replacement for my more serious camera (I may eventually get something like a K-S2 to replace my Canon Rebel), but it does provide seriously better pictures than my Elph did, and it also allows me to take seriously better B&B (Bird & Butterfly) pictures than I was getting with my Canon Rebel.
02-06-2015, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Edit: he just clarified that he is a K-3 ambassador for Ricoh/Pentax, so he is directly selected by Ricoh as an ambassador, and now it's his word against yours, Dominic. Since he's on the Ricoh webpage, I think he's the one telling the truth!
To be even more spesific; I signed two deals as an ambassador. One with Ricoh main office with the K-3 (got 2). Rest of my ambassador and sponsordeal is with Ricoh Scandinavia, who is officially represented by Focus Nordic in whole of Scandinavia. That was a special deal, because Ricoh wanted to have a little bit different kind of face out there as an official represetant in Scandinavia. And this because they wanted me and contacted me, not the other way around. And because i allready was fully equipped with Nikon gear from before (But no official deal with Nikon, just a local store). I deliver after my deal, pics to Ricoh France, same as every K-3 ambassador in Europe. And with the other deal with Focus, i do workshops, seminars etc. It is up to every office in every country to do deals like this as they wish. Focus would never offered me this kind of deal, if Ricoh didnt approve. So, there is the whole story about me and Ricoh/Pentax
02-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #220
Veteran Member

You could be right, but if the K-S2 uses the same sensor and processor as the K-S1, the development time required to launch a similar functioning camera in a WR case is minimal. Pentax could have been developing both cameras at the same time, working with similar components, and didn't want to cannibalize K-50 sales. Then they would have released the K-S1 first to try to attract customers who would have had little interest in the K-50. However, to attract the kind of customers they were seeking, the K-S1 had to be a more attractive design than it is and I don't think the market it was aimed at is as interested in buying a larger than pocket-sized, standalone camera as Pentax's marketing department believed.
MILCs don't look anything like serious cameras for the most part. They are more for people who want the quality of a DSLR, but without the added luggage. And increasingly these cameras also can accomodate serious photography.

I think both were developed at the same time, maybe the K-S1 had a head start. If the WiFi functionality had been ready by the time of the launch I think it would have it.

What confuses me is the K-S2. It very much looks like it's meant to be a K-50 replacement, so... why isn't it? Isn't this exactly how the K-50 replacement model should look like? Some added features like flippy screen and WiFi, newer sensor and processor, otherwise quite similar? How could they replace the K-50? And when? Maybe a K-S2 in a more conventional dress?
02-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #221
Pentaxian

kenspo, we're going to need your blood type, fingerprint samples, and a quick DNA swab as well.
02-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think he's the one telling the truth!
Actually, we shouldn't be TOO hard on Dominic. He did make this comment yesterday, and he is absolutely right.
02-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if the K-S1 is just as big of a disappointment in Japan as it is in the rest of the world; to bring out the K-S2 with consumer-oriented features like wi-fi so soon after the launch of the K-S1 suggests that Ricoh realizes they need to give consumers in the sub-$1000 camera market something that will make them forget the K-S1. Unlike some, I have absolutely no inside knowledge of how Ricoh operates, but they do seem to follow common principles in product development and marketing.
I'm not sure. Pentax has been pretty consistent on an 18-21 month cycle for new DSLR models in the mid and high tiers, the exception being 2011, when the Tohoku Earthquake and the sale to Ricoh reset all the clocks. I expected a K-50 replacement right around the first of this year, and right on time, here's a weather-sealed (apparently) multicolored plastic-bodied DSLR with the mode knob on the top right, no top LCD, and the K-30/50/500 button layout. The K-S1 was 'way too early for that cycle, wasn't WR, and it seems to be from the "special projects / aw heck let's try it" team, like the K-01. There was a comment in one of the recent interviews that product cycles are getting stretched out. I guess the proof will be if there is a K-3 refresh this summer and a new Q in the fall (the Q seems to have a slightly shorter cycle, about 15 months).

Last edited by THoog; 02-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
02-06-2015, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
kenspo, we're going to need your blood type, fingerprint samples, and a quick DNA swab as well.
hahaha

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 08:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, we shouldn't be TOO hard on Dominic. He did make this comment yesterday, and he is absolutely right.
Then he should be happy that i help to get some enthusiasm to Pentaxuser again? Not attacking me directly and accuse me for doing damage on Pentax? I talk just as much about Pentax to Non-pentaxians too...
02-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Unfortunately (in my opinion only), MILCs are here to stay, in small numbers, because they have become a fashion accessory for people who want to look like serious photographers without actually spending much time taking photographs. Flame away!
Not sure where you get your facts, but there are quite a few serious/professional photographers that have went mirrorless or tend to prefer mirrorless more and more.
In the end every single camera can be a fashion statement and a point for bragging rights. True photographers or professionals will do the job with whatever they have and most of them will usually tend to prefer the lighther, smaller gear possible.