Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #226
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
He is a Pentax ambassador. Not a Nordic ambassador or whatever other name. And he's on the Ricoh page. So whatever you're trying to do to discredit him - it's not working.
Not only is it not working, I suspect it won't be continuing; at least not in this thread anyway. Just a hunch, mind you.

02-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
MILCs don't look anything like serious cameras for the most part. They are more for people who want the quality of a DSLR, but without the added luggage. And increasingly these cameras also can accomodate serious photography.

I think both were developed at the same time, maybe the K-S1 had a head start. If the WiFi functionality had been ready by the time of the launch I think it would have it.

What confuses me is the K-S2. It very much looks like it's meant to be a K-50 replacement, so... why isn't it? Isn't this exactly how the K-50 replacement model should look like? Some added features like flippy screen and WiFi, newer sensor and processor, otherwise quite similar? How could they replace the K-50? And when? Maybe a K-S2 in a more conventional dress?
Do we know the K-S2 isn't the K-50 replacement? It can be even though they may sell both side-by-side for a finite time. If we look at the K-50 and the plethora of colors it's available in, that mid-range offering starts to look more and more like the "something different" category Ricoh explained the "S" line represents. K-50 in colors is already quite visually different than the Rebel and D3xxx/D5xxx lineups. The K-S2 might just be the next logical progression of their thinking.
02-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not only is it not working, I suspect it won't be continuing; at least not in this thread anyway. Just a hunch, mind you.
How's his street cred in the Thread-that-shall-not-be-named? Do we need to quiz him on his opinion of lutefisk?
02-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
What confuses me is the K-S2. It very much looks like it's meant to be a K-50 replacement, so... why isn't it? Isn't this exactly how the K-50 replacement model should look like? Some added features like flippy screen and WiFi, newer sensor and processor, otherwise quite similar? How could they replace the K-50? And when? Maybe a K-S2 in a more conventional dress?
More than likely we should just wait a few days and we'll know the answer to your questions.

I sense (just a guess, I know nothing) Ricoh is laying down their markers RIGHT NOW.
  • MF
  • FF - multiple price points
  • APSc - multiple price points
  • APSc 'New Era' Designs - whole lotta fun happenin' here
  • GR, WG and Ricoh 'New Technology (Theta) - watch closely here for new directions
  • 'Q' Mirrorless - Try it. you'll like it.
  • I'm sure there's more that we don't know yet. I'd bet APSc and FF mirrorless is out there, just not yet.
For each product line there are lenses, accessories, apps, - other stuff they can sell us to make the basic tool more productive.

This isn't just 'Me, Too' stuff. These guys are serious - we're about to see it. What I'm reading about the tech inside the new lenses and the body ought to make us (and everyone else) sit up and take notice. The Naysayers and Doomsayers and corporate-owned websites (I'm talkin' 'bout you, DPReview) can go on hatin' cause that's what they're gonna do. Ricoh's just gonna let them. Best revenge is 10% global market share.

I look forward to the day US B&M retailers call Brian McIntosh and Jim Malcolm and ask for a Dealer Agreement. And Jim says, "Sure. Here are our Terms. . . . . Really? . . . . . OK - well then it'll only be Harry down the street who gets our stuff. And that's just fine with us, cuz. If you don't have Pentax they can't buy Pentax from you."

Won't that be sweet?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2015 at 01:51 PM.
02-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
More than likely we should just wait a few days and we'll know the answer to your questions.

I sense (just a guess, I know nothing) Ricoh is laying down their markers RIGHT NOW.
  • MF
  • FF - multiple price points
  • APSc - multiple price points
  • APSc 'New Era' Designs - whole lotta fun happenin' here
  • GR, WG and Ricoh 'New Technology (Theta) - watch closely herre for new directions
  • 'Q' Mirrorless - Try it. you'll like it.
  • I'm sure there's more that we don't know yet. I'd bet APSc and FF mirrorless is out there, just not yet.
For each product line there are lenses, accessories, apps, - other stuff they can sell us to make the basic tool more productive.

This isn't just 'Me, Too' stuff. These guys are serious - we're about to see it. What I'm reading about the tech inside the new lenses and the body ought to make us (and everyone else) sit up and take notice. The Naysayers and Doomsayers and corporate-owned websites (I'm talkin' 'bout you, DPReview) can go on hatin' cause that's what they're gonna do. Ricoh's just gonna let them. Best revenge is 10% global market share.

I look forward to the day US B&M retailers call Brian McIntosh and Jim Malcolm and ask for a Dealer Agreement. And Jim says, "Sure. Here are our Terms. . . . . Really? . . . . . OK - well then it'll only be Harry down the street who gets our stuff then. And that's just fine with us, cuz if you don't have Pentax they can't buy Pentax from you."

Won't that be sweet?
Bartender - I'll have what he's drinking!
02-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
hahaha

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 08:19 PM ----------

Then he should be happy that i help to get some enthusiasm to Pentaxuser again? Not attacking me directly and accuse me for doing damage on Pentax? I talk just as much about Pentax to Non-pentaxians too...
Kinda confusing, isn't it?
02-06-2015, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just for the record, on my User Name it won't be continuing on ANY thread.

Just for the record, mind you.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2015 at 12:48 PM.
02-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #233

I hope it has better AF. For me, its the achilles heel of my k-30.
02-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #234
Veteran Member

Kinda confusing, isn't it?
You dont say not long until next release and CP+ so we should look forward to that
02-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
You dont say not long until next release and CP+ so we should look forward to that
I am looking forward to that. So, have you had a talk with them about necessary Pentax branded accessories?
02-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #236
Pentaxian

Actually, we shouldn't be TOO hard on Dominic. He did make this comment yesterday, and he is absolutely right.
On that I do agree with Dominic.
02-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
On that I do agree with Dominic.
Read my signature... READ IT!!
02-06-2015, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #238
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Dear North Americans

Given I live at the bottom of the world (NZ), and we are in a different time zone I went to sleep when this thread was 4 pages and woke up at 16 pages . I have enjoyed catching up this morning - it is Saturday morning here.

I have been reading all the opinion and commentary that people have made about the KS-2, Q KS-1 and other cameras and whether they are good or not, based on North American likes and tastes.

I have written about this before on other threads, and I hate to break it to you, but there is actually a world for camera's outside North America. The issue with the North American, European and other developed country markets - including Australia and NZ is that they are essentially saturated for cameras. Every household that wants an interchangeable lens camera, or advanced compact camera has one. Maybe not the latest and greatest, but certainly adequate for the job. That is why the overall sales numbers in these regions are dropping so rapidly.

So who is buying cameras - professionals upgrading, hobbyists, advanced enthusiasts - the sort of people on this forum, an important, but not a major market numbers wise. Also logically - very few will switch brands as they have major investments in particular systems. This is true regardless of the brand. In my case I have a K3 and a Q and over 20 lenses - most just for fun and play, so I will not be switching brands.

For camera companies the major growth is going to be out of Asia where there is a massively expanding middle class - exactly the type of demographic that buys interchangeable lens or advanced compact cameras. Both China and India are predicted to have middle classes in excess of 400 million in the next few decades. That is where the camera sales growth is, and where the market is. What do the Asian middle class want in a camera - I have no idea, but I suspect that Japanese camera companies have been researching it well, test bedding in their home market and Korea where there are similar tastes and sensibilities, and then rolling out models that work in these markets.

What people on this forum want and will buy is likely to be quite different to what the Asian middle class wants and buys. This makes the forums collective opinion relevant for the wants and tastes of professionals and advanced enthusiasts, but possibly irrelevant for the biggest developing camera market in the world.

The Pentax Q series does really well in Japan, and one can assume elsewhere in Asia - but it bombed in North America. Why? Maybe it will be the same or the KS-1 and KS-2 and other cameras that Pentax deliver in the next few years.

For that reason I will not bag any particular camera model - I just might not be the target demographic for the camera.

What I can observe is I am really enjoying the new pace of releases that Pentax is achieving. I am personally interested in the new 150-450mm lens and the new FF camera, and I am starting to save for them both.
02-06-2015, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Read my signature... READ IT!!
I blame those rowdy Canadians!
02-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #240

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
How's his street cred in the Thread-that-shall-not-be-named? Do we need to quiz him on his opinion of lutefisk?

Lutefisk is GREAT!

Done right it is one of my favourites