Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #271

How Many AF Points

I hope its not crippled by the number of AF points as in the K1

02-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #272
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgm2 Quote
I hope its not crippled by the number of AF points as in the K1
K-5ii/s also had 11 points, same as K-S1... so it wasn't 'crippling' but more like using old tech on K-S1 to differentiate K-3 as top of the line advanced DSLR with 27 AF points.
I wouldn't be surprised if K-S2 still has 11 AF points, but yes, more the better.
02-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #273
Veteran Member

Sorry for the confusing with the names..Its K-S2 and not KS-2..My fingers was a little too fast! haha!
02-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh might as well just lease space in the stores the way Ralph Lauren does. High Margin, Low Volume, no advertising is Ricoh's pricing model. US B&M retailers - for the most part - aren't biting. Canon and Nikon have erected ridiculously effective economic barriers to entry. It oughta be a crime.
That may be changing, I have been in a couple of stores that have started carrying Pentax in the last year. Microcenter, a computer store that has a camera section started last Christmas season, the just had K-50, but hopefully it is a start, and not just a one shot deal. Midwest Photo Exchange is a large B&M in Columbus, Ohio that moves a lot of equipment. They started carrying the 645z when it came out. Then late last fall I went in and they had K-3, K-50, and lot of lenses. Not as big of a section as some of the other brands, but a start. There is another B&M in Columbus (World of Photography) that has had some off Qs and K-50 in the custom colors. I don't know how they sell because they are priced pretty high, however the last time I was there a a large stack of Qs (Q10 s I think) was gone.

02-06-2015, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #275
Veteran Member

PERHAPS there is a certain someone who could hint as to whether other fun colors will be available, like the assortment they produced for the K-S1? I am buying a K-S2. It's happening. And I'll get a white one if that's as "fun" as it gets, but I'd really like to get the K-S2 in one of those "Night Sky" color schemes they made for the K-S1... I would hate to buy a white one right out of the gate if more interesting colors will be released later...
02-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That may be changing, I have been in a couple of stores that have started carrying Pentax in the last year. Microcenter, a computer store that has a camera section started last Christmas season, the just had K-50, but hopefully it is a start, and not just a one shot deal. Midwest Photo Exchange is a large B&M in Columbus, Ohio that moves a lot of equipment. They started carrying the 645z when it came out. Then late last fall I went in and they had K-3, K-50, and lot of lenses. Not as big of a section as some of the other brands, but a start. There is another B&M in Columbus (World of Photography) that has had some off Qs and K-50 in the custom colors. I don't know how they sell because they are priced pretty high, however the last time I was there a a large stack of Qs (Q10 s I think) was gone.
Yeah, that's why I said for the most part. I know RIAC is having some success, and things are much better here. Then again, our local St. Louis 9-store chain no longer carries Pentax after a 40 year run. Jim Malcolm referred to having 'let a Dealer go' because they were just too demanding. Might be the very Dealer.
02-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #277
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dyoon153 Quote
I'm kind of hoping it is not the replacement of K-50,
true, but again, the K-50 was not shown at CES

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm not sure why some worry so much about what a camera is, or is not, replacing. Shouldn't they all be evaluated on what are, and if it's right for you?
I worry because the K-30/50 is right for me (if I don't UPgrade) and the S series isn't. I think the K-30/50 line should be kept separate from the KS line, not merged... not everyone wants the S series styling.

02-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, that's why I said for the most part. I know RIAC is having some success, and things are much better here. Then again, our local St. Louis 9-store chain no longer carries Pentax after a 40 year run. Jim Malcolm referred to having 'let a Dealer go' because they were just too demanding. Might be the very Dealer.
Cord Camera was a 19 store chain based in Columbus that had Pentax sometimes, before they went under last year. I think many of these small chains (and the big ones that are gone too) could not react fast enough to the changes in the industry. Cord sunk a lot of capital in film processing only to see that market dwindle to nothing, then scrapbooking which was very competitive, then not being able to compete with point and shoots that you could get any place. Stock in their stores dwindled to where they just had the basic DSLRs, they could order other things, but how fast and at what price, why not just order it from B&H and have it tomorrow. The serious photographers were going to MPEX, B&H, and Adorama. I guess I could understand why a dealer could be too demanding, they may have to be to survive. A business relationship has to benefit both parties, and maybe it just wasn't possible. Hopefully they will gain more dealers than they lose, at least if that's what works in the changing retail world.
02-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I worry because the K-30/50 is right for me (if I don't UPgrade) and the S series isn't.
What do you see in the newly-labeled K-S2 that makes you uneasy?
I've been thinking in terms of buying a K-50 someday; I didn't see anything in the K-S2 that bothered me, so I was wondering whether I am missing something.
02-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I worry because the K-30/50 is right for me (if I don't UPgrade) and the S series isn't. I think the K-30/50 line should be kept separate from the KS line, not merged... not everyone wants the S series styling.
But the K-S2 LOOKS a lot like the K-50, and it does not look much like the K-S1. That tells me it is more like the 50, regardless of what they have decided to call it.
02-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #281
Veteran Member

It'd be cool if the AF-201FG comes out with the K-S2 and has wireless communication with the K-S2.
02-06-2015, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Size comparison of K-S2 versus K-50 (K-50 tinted green, K-S2 tinted red, front scaled off K-mount, back/top scaled to match front). I'd say they are very close in size. The K-S2 flattens some of the K-50's curves, and moves some volume towards the back of the camera.

Last edited by THoog; 02-07-2015 at 07:00 AM.
02-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #283
JPT
Pentaxian

More information with colour variations.

Google Translate

Looks like a new WG camera is coming too.

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 01:14 PM ----------

And also there will be a separate HD version of the kit lens! I might be interested in that.
02-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #284
Pentaxian

Given the similar size, wonder which battery will be in play? Looks like Li90 might fit.
02-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Given the similar size, wonder which battery will be in play? Looks like Li90 might fit.
I'm leaning towards the Li-109 / AA clip combo of the K-r/30/50/500, especially since the K-S1 uses the 109, but I'm prepared to be surprised (feet flat on the floor, fragile objects moved away from computer, etc. ).