Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think this is what is surprising me the most! The K-S1 wit the LED lights? Quickly removed in K-S2. Red rings? Gone. FF? On its way! Who knows what's next, but it won't be easy on our wallets..
I appreciate their willingness to try new things, and I hope that doesn't change. Who knew people cared about the green rings? It's a tradition only as old as the DA lenses. In a parallel universe, the green ring is a hated symbol of crop-sensor lenses, and everyone cheered their demise.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
It's not like it is saving any space by being so small, you just ruin ergonomics and have to use a small battery.
I have to disagree. The smaller grip makes a significant difference in my camera bag - the K-S1 can easily fit in a slot formerly occupied by a MF film camera, and not even the K-x could do that. While the K-S1 can't use the AA battery clip, it's the same Li-109 as the K-r/30/50/500, so no great sacrifice there. I personally would have shaped the grip a little differently, but the handling still comes closer to those film cameras that I grew up on and honestly prefer to the big grips. It all depends on what you are used to.

02-07-2015, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #332

"Green is for the Money, Gold is for the Honeys" - Bishop Don "Magic" Juan
02-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I appreciate their willingness to try new things, and I hope that doesn't change.
Yes!!

I have to disagree. The smaller grip makes a significant difference in my camera bag - the K-S1 can easily fit in a slot formerly occupied by a MF film camera, and not even the K-x could do that. While the K-S1 can't use the AA battery clip, it's the same Li-109 as the K-r/30/50/500, so no great sacrifice there. I personally would have shaped the grip a little differently, but the handling still comes closer to those film cameras that I grew up on and honestly prefer to the big grips. It all depends on what you are used to.
The first outing my wife and I took in 1984 with my Super Program was interrupted by the short life of the tiny button batteries that powered it, and we spent much of the morning finding someone who carried them. Ever since then I have had at least one spare battery set, but I have also valued the ability to use easily-obtainable AA/AAA batteries, so inability to use an AA battery clip is a big loss as far I'm concerned.
02-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The first outing my wife and I took in 1984 with my Super Program was interrupted by the short life of the tiny button batteries that powered it, and we spent much of the morning finding someone who carried them. Ever since then I have had at least one spare battery set, but I have also valued the ability to use easily-obtainable AA/AAA batteries, so inability to use an AA battery clip is a big loss as far I'm concerned.
True, and I felt the same way until I bought my first Li-only camera and had to adapt and carry a spare (I have worn out many sets of NiMH AA batteries and even a few gift-shop-crap AAs). However, I'll bet the vast majority of entry-level K-r/30/50 buyers never bought an AA clip, so the K-S1 is exactly the same to them.

02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True, and I felt the same way until I bought my first Li-only camera and had to adapt and carry a spare (I have worn out many sets of NiMH AA batteries and even a few gift-shop-crap AAs). However, I'll bet the vast majority of entry-level K-r/30/50 buyers never bought an AA clip, so the K-S1 is exactly the same to them.
in order to better appreciate that which you have, get a Q.

And three spare batteries.
02-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
in order to better appreciate that which you have, get a Q.

And three spare batteries.
I have 2 spares for mine.

I would be concerned, but it is my secondary camera.
A Canon Rebel is still my primary camera, and I do have a battery grip (which accepts AA batteries) for it.
My comments about the K-50 / K-S1 are based on the fact that i would buy a K-camera to replace the Rebel as my primary camera.

BTW - I also have an appropriate 12-volt charger for each camera, so I could charge as I drive if necessary.
02-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #337
Veteran Member

I appreciate their willingness to try new things, and I hope that doesn't change. Who knew people cared about the green rings? It's a tradition only as old as the DA lenses. In a parallel universe, the green ring is a hated symbol of crop-sensor lenses, and everyone cheered their demise.

Hm, but at the thickest point it should be as thick as the K-S2...? I used old film cameras too, but I prefer the sculpted big grips we now have (though the old cameras were better looking). To each his own, I suppose. It's good that Pentax will (hopefully) produce both cameras.

As for battery, where on earth did they fit that in there?

My spare D-Li90 is barely usable anymore, but I carry a charger that can use USB, a USB charger that charges 2 devices at the same time and a USB battery pack that can charge the D-Li90 a few times. The charger also works with a 12V socket, but I don't bring that along. The original D-Li90 is easily able to do 1000+ photos on a charge... two days ago I shot 1 hour and 8 minutes of video AND 543 stills, and there was still battery left. Makes me feel little anxiety having just one battery...

02-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #338
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
I am mostly a lurker on the Forum, because there are already dozens of "experts" who know how to run Ricoh/Pentax better than Ricoh/Pentax.
A well-deserved pat on the back for your efforts. Don't let those who cry for attention diminish your fine efforts.
Exactly!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
And a big thank you to Ken from the other side of the world, for injecting a large dose of enthusiasm into the Pentax ecosystem - I wish you all the best for your new relationship with Pentax.
The other side of the world? He's just down the street from me!

But yes, very refreshing with some input from an enthusiastic insider!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What I find intriguing about the K-S2 has nothing to do with the camera itself. It's that after the loooooong anticipated announcement of a FF, this thread seems to have more activity than any of the threads on it or the other newly announced gear.

As Spock would say...................... fascinating.
Fascinating indeed. And I suspect the K-S line will continue to create forum activity.
02-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
how about red used for knowing there was an SMC but this is the HD version ?
02-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm, but at the thickest point it should be as thick as the K-S2...? I used old film cameras too, but I prefer the sculpted big grips we now have (though the old cameras were better looking). To each his own, I suppose. It's good that Pentax will (hopefully) produce both cameras.

As for battery, where on earth did they fit that in there?

My spare D-Li90 is barely usable anymore, but I carry a charger that can use USB, a USB charger that charges 2 devices at the same time and a USB battery pack that can charge the D-Li90 a few times. The charger also works with a 12V socket, but I don't bring that along. The original D-Li90 is easily able to do 1000+ photos on a charge... two days ago I shot 1 hour and 8 minutes of video AND 543 stills, and there was still battery left. Makes me feel little anxiety having just one battery...
Well, the K-x can fit, but it's snug, and the grip pushes against the divider, meaning less room in the next pocket for lenses. Also, the lighter weight of the K-S1 means I don't need a neck strap for it, and neck straps always seem to expand to take all available space and then some.

The K-S1 battery bay does take up about half of the right side of the body. The battery is oriented left-to-right, like the K-01. If the K-S2 has the Li-109/AA combo battery bay, I think it would be oriented front-to-rear, like the K-30/50/etc. FWIW, in the right-side pictures we've seen, the rubber plug for an external power cord appears to be in the same place as the K-30/50.
02-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #341
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Exactly!
Fascinating indeed. And I suspect the K-S line will continue to create forum activity.
Pentax's having a FF camera may make them look more like a major player, but I'm guessing that more of us have the resources to buy a member of the K-S line than to buy an FF camera.
02-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #342
Imp
Pentaxian

I Photoshopped the KS-2 picture to make it look like how I wanted it to be - with more space for my thumb. Only thing reduced was the thickness of the LCD border. What do you think?

02-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I Photoshopped the KS-2 picture to make it look like how I wanted it to be - with more space for my thumb. Only thing reduced was the thickness of the LCD border. What do you think?
It's a good start... I made a quick little photoshop addition to it, placing the playback button where I think it belongs, then expanded the rubber thumb grip. I also added some texture for grip, as seen on the K30.

See here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adudenamedjosh/16466354025/

This camera just needs more thumb real estate IMO

Last edited by stillshot2; 02-07-2015 at 12:54 PM.
02-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #344
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
placing the playback button where I think it belongs, then expanded the rubber thumb grip.
Right, I realized after the fact that I could have just left the thumb grip. However, I think the playback button should stay where it is. The AF button is placed so that your thumb will fall right on it as you are shooting. Don't want to get autofocus mixed up with reviewing pics!

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
This camera just needs more thumb real estate IMO
Absolutely
02-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #345
Veteran Member

I'm really hoping for new lens roadmaps for the APSC and the FF variants and perhaps we may see some new patterns respecting the green banding vs the red banding on the lenses.