Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Again, it's not exactly a 4K video capture, but the door hinge looks to be the same size, and more importantly, in the same position as on the K30/50. I'm guessing that the K-S2 isn't compatible with the AA holder, because it was considered an important enough feature to be listed with the K-30/50, but it could just as easily be a minor mistake in preparing the webpage.
Yeah, the hinge and catch are very similar, but if the curved line next to his ring finger is the front edge of the battery door, it needs to be closer to the front of the grip. Or it could be an artifact or optical illusion (cf the "gap" on the K-S1). Who's in New York and can run down to Adorama this afternoon? We need to know!

02-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that I look at the screen capture again, the hinge on the K-S2 looks to be closer to the side edge of the body and the catch is in the same location as the K-30, so no AA holder. The Li-ion battery comes forward as far as the holder does, the difference is the "belly" where the fourth AA battery goes, which is covered by a finger in this shot.
02-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #573
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know, the AA battery ability of the K30 was a really neat idea. However, I found I just didn't bother with it. While travelling a couple of years ago, instead of carrying around an extra set of AAs, I was instead more content with just carrying an extra regular battery. You could carry two regular batteries with roughly the same weight/space as a set of AAs.

It might make a difference if you are travelling somewhere where power outlets are not easily accessible, but stores that sell AAs are. I struggle to think of many places where regular people would find themselves in that situation.

EDIT: It might make more sense though if say you are using a bunch of flashes and you already have a ton of eneloops on hand. Then the AA adapter would add a little more synergy with your whole kit, but it still doesn't seem like a magical selling point.
02-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
You know, the AA battery ability of the K30 was a really neat idea. However, I found I just didn't bother with it. While travelling a couple of years ago, instead of carrying around an extra set of AAs, I was instead more content with just carrying an extra regular battery. You could carry two regular batteries with roughly the same weight/space as a set of AAs.

It might make a difference if you are travelling somewhere where power outlets are not easily accessible, but stores that sell AAs are. I struggle to think of many places where regular people would find themselves in that situation.

EDIT: It might make more sense though if say you are using a bunch of flashes and you already have a ton of eneloops on hand. Then the AA adapter would add a little more synergy with your whole kit, but it still doesn't seem like a magical selling point.
The story I've already told multiple times here takes place in 1984 - immediately after I got my Super Program. I didn't yet realize how short lived the button batteries in it were - but I discovered quickly when they died and my wife and I spent the beginning of our first outing with it looking for someone who sold that kind of battery. Ever since then, I have carried multiple batteries with me, but I also want an option to use readily available AA or AAA batteries (I also have a car charger now). I probably will never need that again, but it makes me feel so secure. Not having that will definitely slow down my acceptance of this camera.

02-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #575

Here's another screen cap from the Adorama video. Difficult to tell, but I'd say no. There could be a bulge but it is in the wrong place compared to the K50 picture.
Attached Images

02-10-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #576
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

I can see that. I like the genericness of AA batteries though. That is why I only use AA batteries (outside of the K-5II's proprietary battery when I don't want to bring the grip).

In 50 years time, God wiling humans are still around on this planet, someone might dig up a K-30 dinosaur and be able to use it with ordinary batteries (again, provided AA batteries are around -- but I suspect they have a better shot than a proprietary battery type).

K-r was the first camera to use that AA adapter btw.. K-r, K-30, K-500, and K-50 all use the same battery and AA adapter. The little K-x used AA batteries ONLY. Actually, that reason was one of the reasons I even bothered with Pentax when I picked my first SLR body (the K-x).

I loathe non standard standards. And I own a ton of Eneloops for camera flashes, remote controls, wireless keyboard+mouse, etc around the house. But if one is not worried about them, the cell batteries aren't a major issue.

I hope the new Pentax FF body still supports AA batteries in the grip and their others support AA with an adapter.
02-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #577
Veteran Member

The problem with AAs is that they are much heavier for the same amount of juice. The D-Li90 weights next to nothing, and is pretty small, but my K-5 lasts longer than my *istDS. Non original batteries are easy enough to find, and the charger is smaller too.

I'd rather have the capability to charge in camera via micro USB than AA support. Wherever you go there'll be someone with a USB charger... you need to carry a USB charger anyway. You can buy USB power banks that you can use to charge your camera on the go. There's no need to bring a charger/forgetting the charger at home is not a big deal. Ideally the USB port can be used to keep the camera alive/charge the camera while shooting. Then it would also replace the AC port.

The Samsung NX1 seems to be able to charge the battery in camera, though Samsung went too far and doesn't supply a proper, regular external charger. You have to buy that separately.

02-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #578
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The problem with AAs is that they are much heavier for the same amount of juice. The D-Li90 weights next to nothing, and is pretty small, but my K-5 lasts longer than my *istDS. Non original batteries are easy enough to find, and the charger is smaller too.

I'd rather have the capability to charge in camera via micro USB than AA support. Wherever you go there'll be someone with a USB charger... you need to carry a USB charger anyway. You can buy USB power banks that you can use to charge your camera on the go. There's no need to bring a charger/forgetting the charger at home is not a big deal. Ideally the USB port can be used to keep the camera alive/charge the camera while shooting. Then it would also replace the AC port.

The Samsung NX1 seems to be able to charge the battery in camera, though Samsung went too far and doesn't supply a proper, regular external charger. You have to buy that separately.
The proprietary li109 brick is 2.4 oz. 4 Eneloop AAs 4.2 oz + 1.2 oz for the holder so 5.4.. just a meager 3 oz more.

I checked the K-r manual and it is actually rated for longer recording AND playback time using Nimh AA batteries over the brick. Brick takes more shots though. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

K-5 never took AA batteries outside of the grip. Hope they keep offering that ability in the DBG6 (or whatever the next battery grip is labeled).

In camera charging of the brick would be nice if the same cable would also function for downloading images too simultaneously.
02-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #579

Looks like a fantastic camera. Its great to see Ricoh listening to the community and producing the cameras and features that people want.

Last edited by curlednoodles; 02-10-2015 at 10:05 PM.
02-10-2015, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #580
Inactive Account

about battery and choice.

une little example, you get on k-r
with li-ion you can take average 500 pictures
with AA you can " " " " " 1500 pictures with last type ni-mh 2700 mah

in concert, i cannot say 'heuuu please "stopping play", i have not enought battery, stop 30sec for i change my li-ion empty )

not possible !

For example, here you can found (in section concert) some users with one kx get more 2000 shots !!! with AA fully with his k-x

other:
if i forget my charger li-ion, it's proprietary charger.
it's no possible to ask to friend one charger for my battery li-ion.

With AA battery, all people have this charger type (AA) in her home, and same if nobody's not have charger, i get the 4 AA of my fgz 360 and enjoy !

and if very very looser (4 AA of my fgz 360 is empty),
I just go buy 4 alkalines AA or better 4 Accu with one basic charger

I say this beceause i lost/forget my nikon charger li more times.

And if you have not of good AA charger, or if the weight is very important for you, you can continue to use your li-ion battery.

in 2015, for me, one apn without choice AA or external grip or internal choice, is outdated, exept if 1000 shots or more is possible without change battery.

best regards,
02-10-2015, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #581
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpette Quote
if i forget my charger li-ion, it's proprietary charger.
it's no possible to ask to friend one charger for my battery li-ion.

With AA battery, all people have this charger type (AA) in her home, and same if nobody's not have charger, i get the 4 AA of my fgz 360 and enjoy !
This is like saying "if I forget to pack my camera/lenses/tripod . . . "

If a charger is needed as an essential part of your kit (long-term travel, etc.) then don't forget it.

Anyways, I'm not going to rail against cameras having the AA adapter ability. If it can be had without sacrificing other features, then why not. But in the grand scheme of things, if they needed to remove the AA ability to add one of the newer features (maybe the swivel screen? Perhaps they needed more computer stuff inside for the on-board mic?) then I'm okay with that.
02-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #582
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The story I've already told multiple times here takes place in 1984 - immediately after I got my Super Program. I didn't yet realize how short lived the button batteries in it were
It must have been a real nightmare if it still affects you like this.
02-11-2015, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #583
Pentaxian

I'm certain that you should always wait to buy the latest body. However, I seem to have just ordered a forest green kit...
02-11-2015, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #584
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The proprietary li109 brick is 2.4 oz. 4 Eneloop AAs 4.2 oz + 1.2 oz for the holder so 5.4.. just a meager 3 oz more.

One person's meager 3 oz more is another person's 2.25 times as heavy (Li109 vs 4AA+holder).
02-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

I checked the K-r manual and it is actually rated for longer recording AND playback time using Nimh AA batteries over the brick. Brick takes more shots though. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

K-5 never took AA batteries outside of the grip. Hope they keep offering that ability in the DBG6 (or whatever the next battery grip is labeled).

In camera charging of the brick would be nice if the same cable would also function for downloading images too simultaneously.
That is more than twice the weight. Carrying a spare li-ion brick isn't too much of an issue, weight wise. AAs are more troublesome.

Mh... that's odd. Maybe Li-Ion collapses faster? But is able to recover? Or is it the other way round?

Yes, I think that's what they should do. Use the same port for transfering photos. And for crying out loud, use a standard cable that most people already have with them all the time (micro USB). You can charge your phone, transfer files from and to your phone, use it for battery packs, charge the camera, tablets, ...

The battery grip should of course always have space for AA, I agree.

My mother went to holiday with her small Canon superzoom that takes AAs. She had to carry 2 sets of batteries, and a rather bulky (though light) BC-700 charger (IMHO the best budget charger there is, comes from different brands, but it's great, charges all cells individually, treats them well, can repair them, ...). Then we had to find out that the batteries are in a bad shape, even though being of the eneloop variety and just a couple of years old. She ended up buying Alkaline AAs (occasionally, she couldn't always find them and tends to be a bit stingy too), which don't last nearly as long. So that's an advantage, but then again my K-5 Li-Ion battery is in much better shape, despite being about as old as her camera. She wouldn't have ran into that problem with Li-Ion in the first place. Which reminds me... with non rechargeable AAs my *istDS barely ran. Duracell, Energizer, ... 150 shots and it would be dead. The NiMH would be more around 1000 shots. On one trip that turned into a big issue, because I forgot my AA charger at home, and I couldn't always find non rechargeable batteries. Of course if I had forgotten my Li-Ion charger I would have been screwed even harder.

@Earl: I visited my mother, who lives on the (halfway) other side of the Earth. Forgot my charger there. Getting a replacement charger (that is way more awesome) wasn't too expensive though, cheaper than my BC-700.

Anyway, it's nice if they give the AA option, but IMHO I think it is overrated, and giving it USB charging capabilities with a common cable would be, IMHO, a much bigger advantage.