Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Get a couple extra batteries and some small bag or something to carry them in. They go in your pocket when you go out and you will never lack for batteries. I charge the run down ones in the field, then recharge them when I get home. Have yet to miss a shot.

I learned this when I first started shooting with a DSLR. I came across some wildlife close in, set up and started shooting, then the whole thing died from lack of juice. Never again I said.

02-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #587
Forum Member

Quick qeustion, the spec says it can use IR for the little remote releases, (F/O-RC1) is it just front or front and back? Been thru the specs and the write up on imaging resource but can't find out how many IR ports it has... Anyone???
02-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
Quick qeustion, the spec says it can use IR for the little remote releases, (F/O-RC1) is it just front or front and back? Been thru the specs and the write up on imaging resource but can't find out how many IR ports it has... Anyone???
Probably only front. Only the "metal body" cameras (K-7/5/3) have had rear IR sensors so far. That seems to be one of the product level differentiators, like the battery grip.
02-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #589
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Anyway, it's nice if they give the AA option, but IMHO I think it is overrated, and giving it USB charging capabilities with a common cable would be, IMHO, a much bigger advantage.

Ok. Who says it has to be either/or? One vs. another? Not every thing is an opposing battle.

And AA batteries is a top tier feature for me. Higher than flippy screen or even improved battery life.

While they've offered it as an option for many camera bodies... I suspect they didn't do this because they wanted to waste money on an unnecessary feature. No, probably more so because they saw the usefulness/desirability of such a feature and gave users another option.

02-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #590
Veteran Member

You should probably be able to use a smartphone or tablet to release the shutter though... hopefully it will be possible to deactivate the live view in that mode, when you need to conserve battery life. But in any case it's not that much of an issue that the back doesn't have IR.

I didn't say that it's an either or thing, and if possible providing that option would be great. But I suspect the smaller grip took away the space to enable such an adapter? Or they just removed a feature beloved by some... wouldn't be the first time

If they have that USB thing they might also make an external AA pack that connects via USB (with or without changing the voltage).
02-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #591

Anyway, it's nice if they give the AA option, but IMHO I think it is overrated, and giving it USB charging capabilities with a common cable would be, IMHO, a much bigger advantage
The problem is the USB Battery Charging spec is only for 5V at 0.5-1.5A 2.5-7.5W. The Pentax battery chargers output 8.4V at 700mA.

USB Power Delivery V1.0 was finalized in July 2012 can deliver up to 12V 3.0 A, 60 W 5.0 A, 100 W and requires "PD Aware" Cables (type-A and B connectors) and PD compliant hosts. So you'd have to upgrade your charging devices to be USB PD compliant as well as having the proper cable..

USB Power Delivery V2.0 was not finalized until July 2014 which requires USB 3.1 which uses the new Type-C connector. So you would either have to upgrade your charging devices to USB 3.1 or have a standalone USB 3.1 charger.

I don't know about you but I'd rather take the battery out to charge it. That way you can just swap in a fully charged battery and not wait for hours for the battery to charge. You also don't have to worry about heat issues from the charging battery damaging both the camera and battery.

---------- Post added 02-11-15 at 06:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Probably only front. Only the "metal body" cameras (K-7/5/3) have had rear IR sensors so far. That seems to be one of the product level differentiators, like the battery grip.
As I recall some of the previews and reviews mention the IR port on front and back.
02-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #592
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Thought that, thanks, why is the world obsessed with selfies? IR at the back for selfies, screen twist and get a new shutter button for selfies, suprised the K-S1 didn't come out with a seperate camera at the back!

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem is the USB Battery Charging spec is only for 5V at 0.5-1.5A 2.5-7.5W. The Pentax battery chargers output 8.4V at 700mA.

USB Power Delivery V1.0 was finalized in July 2012 can deliver up to 12V 3.0 A, 60 W 5.0 A, 100 W and requires "PD Aware" Cables (type-A and B connectors) and PD compliant hosts. So you'd have to upgrade your charging devices to be USB PD compliant as well as having the proper cable..

USB Power Delivery V2.0 was not finalized until July 2014 which requires USB 3.1 which uses the new Type-C connector. So you would either have to upgrade your charging devices to USB 3.1 or have a standalone USB 3.1 charger.

I don't know about you but I'd rather take the battery out to charge it. That way you can just swap in a fully charged battery and not wait for hours for the battery to charge. You also don't have to worry about heat issues from the charging battery damaging both the camera and battery.

---------- Post added 02-11-15 at 06:41 AM ----------

As I recall some of the previews and reviews mention the IR port on front and back.
Now I thought I'd read that somewhere but just can't find out where now, they don't even mention IR ports on the Ricoh Pentax home pages, confusion reigns...

Says one here... https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-k-s2-officially-announced.html

Last edited by jules; 02-11-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Adding link...
02-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #593
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Don't see one:
02-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #594
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Don't see one:
Yep, there definitely is no rear IR receiver on the K-S2.
02-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #595
Pentaxian

Looking over the specs... this camera is my K-01 replacement. The tilt screen for macro and live view..... eliminates the right angle veiwfinder attachment and a lot of kneeling. This will make my life easier. If it had the K-3 AF system it would be a total winner.

Last edited by normhead; 02-12-2015 at 05:24 PM.
02-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #596

I just checked the announcement article on PF, it has been changed to say there is only one IR port

One of the comments asks why the specs say two ports and the photos show only one.
02-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #597
Pentaxian

The Samsung NX1 seems to be able to charge the battery in camera, though Samsung went too far and doesn't supply a proper, regular external charger. You have to buy that separately.
Their nx300 is the same so Samsung has been doing that for a while. I bought a basic charger with spare battery for $15ish, though the nx1 uses a larger battery. The in-cam capability is handy in the car though, as it's a standard micro-USB port on the camera not the oddball squarish or another custom variant. I have a solar pack for phone recharging, must do a test-dump from that to the camera..
02-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #598
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
why is the world obsessed with selfies?
Beats me. I know what I look like, and if I take a photo of a scene or a group of people, I know I was there. Anyway, with a face like mine, a photograph is definitely better without it.
02-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #599
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
One person's meager 3 oz more is another person's 2.25 times as heavy (Li109 vs 4AA+holder).
That's fine. I was pointing out it is a very small change. We're arguing peanuts here. Even over the course of a whole day, if your load is just 3 oz more I strongly doubt you're going to really notice. Of course we can make it look significant by calling it 2.25 times or 125% more. But in the end, it is just 3 ounces. 4 pennies is a 300% increase over starting with 1. But it's still just 4 cents. If that bothers you, then use the LI.
02-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #600
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Beats me. I know what I look like, and if I take a photo of a scene or a group of people, I know I was there. Anyway, with a face like mine, a photograph is definitely better without it.
You and me both then, no pics of me in my house!