Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #661

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Please don't dis my K-01.
I think it's pretty.
Pretty or not, it's got no viewfinder. So I was never going to buy one.

Shame really, as it got good marks for IQ. Subsequently, when comparing cameras on dpr, it was always the K-01 that I compared against.

Last edited by Clothears; 02-13-2015 at 09:33 AM.
02-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #662
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
You're right! A survey done shortly after the K-01 was released showed that 9 out of 10 blind people thought the K-01 was indeed a beautiful design.
You don't get the clients that he got, the awards that he got, and get hired by Apple, if you suck at your job.

The K-01 received a red dot award... which as far as product design goes is perhaps the most important there is. Think Cannes or Academy Awards, but for product design. Apparently there are people who do like it.

Of course tastes can differ, and it's ok if you don't like it. Calling it ugly is going a bit far though.
02-12-2015, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #663
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica Digilux 1 (from Steve Huff review of K-01)

1. Newson's design was derivative
  2. I bet if you printed Leica on a K-01 the critics would be fawning all over it
02-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
K-B1 sounds like something from a toy store.

Brings something else to my mind........

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Please don't dis my K-01.
I think it's pretty.
Everyone thinks that their child is beautiful. Doesn't make it true, but you don't want to tell them either

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You don't get the clients that he got, the awards that he got, and get hired by Apple, if you suck at your job.

The K-01 received a red dot award... which as far as product design goes is perhaps the most important there is. Think Cannes or Academy Awards, but for product design. Apparently there are people who do like it.

Of course tastes can differ, and it's ok if you don't like it. Calling it ugly is going a bit far though.
Even Da Vinci had bad days. Newsom has had some REALLY bad days.

02-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #665
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Eh, I am not a big fan of Newsome's stuff. It's recognizable, but IMO is rather ham-fisted. But hey, everyone's a critic, right?

While I find the Cannes selections generally to be quite good, your comparing the Red Dot to the Academy Awards is really inadvertently damning Newsome's accomplishments, since those awards have always been about the lowest common denominator of what Academy members find to be acceptable rather than truly standout work. Ed Harris, Gary Oldman, and Glenn Close have never won an Oscar. Charlton Heston and Sandra Bullock have.
Fair enough, the Academy Awards have quite some bad days... but at least best picture didn't go to Avatar IIRC. The omission of The Act of Killing was a big fluff.

The K-01 didn't appeal to me as a photographic tool, but I really dig the design.

Anyway, Pentax' mainstream cameras shouldn't be too extravagant, but versions of those, but styled by interesting product designers... why not.

The now common design started with a camera designed by Colani.
02-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #666
Pentaxian

The now common design started with a camera designed by Colani.
The Canon T-90.

I am really tired of that basic design, reminds me of a stealth airplane - like the one Docrwm posted above.
That is the main reason I'd rather have a brightly-colored camera, like the red or white ones available in the K-50 line; in fact, the white K-S2 is the only one in that line that gets far enough away from the T-90 to appeal to me.
02-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Leica Digilux 1 (from Steve Huff review of K-01)

1. Newson's design was derivative
  2. I bet if you printed Leica on a K-01 the critics would be fawning all over it
And the brick-shaped body makes it MUCH easier to shoot "selfies"!

02-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Probably only front. Only the "metal body" cameras (K-7/5/3) have had rear IR sensors so far. That seems to be one of the product level differentiators, like the battery grip.
And the K10 has both, so probably the K20 as well.
02-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
And the K10 has both, so probably the K20 as well.
So does the Q!
02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #670
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Granted, it didn't have the strongest field of rivals (As Good As it gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, and L.A. Confidential), but the fact that Titanic won a Best Picture still makes me shake my head. Titanic!
Yep, up there with Gandhi beating Raging Bull.
02-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #671
Pentaxian

Haha, yeah. Well, Newson is a very good product designer, and the K-01 is an attractive camera. Pentax gave him several constraints with which he had to work. Like keeping the mirrorbox, without a mirror. It's also more a designer piece than a functional bit of equipment.

I wish Pentax would continue to be so daring, making limited edition designer cameras. As part of that maybe they can even make a very traditional, no functions retro camera that many here want to see.
That's one of many reasons I'm keeping my two K-01's- they are quite collectable.
02-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #672

Actually, they definitely were thinking "selfies" although I don't think their marketing stuff uses that term.

The vari-angle screen is just that and is not indicative of selfies per se. However, the fact that the wi-fi button becomes a secondary shutter button, which lights up the the main shutter button and falls more naturally and securely in hand when the camera is held in the reverse position in the left hand, is definitely an indication that they were thinking selfies a lot and quite deliberately. You can see it in use in the Adorama video:

As established in the CP+ 2015 interview, Japan is the major market for Pentax. Based on what I saw when I was in Japan around New Year's, selfies are a big thing there, quite often with a smartphone on a selfie-stick (telescoping monopod).

As for the design of the K-S1 being aimed at gadget users, it may not have been successful, but they definitely had a certain logic in mind for the interface. It is touched on briefly in this interview:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/285067-pentax-inter...-business.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I don't think Pentax designers were thinking selfies, not even a little. Samsung (or someone) recently produced a compact with a flip UP screen that was marketed to "selfie-shooters," but all of that marketing language is just . . . marketing language. The original marketing language for the K-S1, as we all saw, was ostensibly directed towards helping cell-phone users get into DSLRs. Following that logic, K-S1 would have had a touch screen, but it didn't. So I think the marketing idea they decided to put into ink on paper came after the design. Just like the names of color groupings ("nature" "sweets," "fabric"), it's all arbitrary. It's like calling an off-white interior room paint "misty morning" to have a sales angle. No one is actually going to say that their blue K-S1 is "denim" colored. So the articulated screen of the K-S2 is not there because Pentaxians, or anyone, demanded selfie appurtenances, it's there because of market competition against other articulated/tilt screen competitors, which, more than selfies, is feeding the demand for low-angle/high-angle shooting, which in my view is a very imprecise way to frame a serious shot anyway. It'll do in a pinch, of course, and so has some value. I don't mind it being there, but it is not there because Pentax designers suddenly woke up and said "Dang! We forgot to put a twisty screen on the K-S1 for selfies!" K-S2 was no doubt on the drawing board at the same time as the K-S1, as a K-50 replacement, not a K-S1 upgrade. I don't think for a minute that they threw such a well-specified model as the K-S2 together -- and actually got it into limited production -- after second thoughts and a mere 6 months after release the K-S1. (But they are darned good at rush work if they did.)

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 08:31 PM ----------

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it looks like you've been vindicated yet again Ken. No misunderstanding -- here's a shot of the body armour for the K-S2:

This is taken from the CP+ 2015 coverage on TheVerge.com: The most important camera gear at Japan's biggest photo show | The Verge

Just a photo though, it doesn't say anything about the body armour.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Ok, maybe i just missunderstood what they said I thought it was optional gear you could attach..
02-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #673
Veteran Member

Does anyone know when it will be available the online K-S2 user manual?
02-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Actually, they definitely were thinking "selfies" although I don't think their marketing stuff uses that term.

The vari-angle screen is just that and is not indicative of selfies per se. However, the fact that the wi-fi button becomes a secondary shutter button, which lights up the the main shutter button and falls more naturally and securely in hand when the camera is held in the reverse position in the left hand, is definitely an indication that they were thinking selfies a lot and quite deliberately. You can see it in use in the Adorama video:

http://youtu.be/kJ_-s93PI5Q

As established in the CP+ 2015 interview, Japan is the major market for Pentax. Based on what I saw when I was in Japan around New Year's, selfies are a big thing there, quite often with a smartphone on a selfie-stick (telescoping monopod).

As for the design of the K-S1 being aimed at gadget users, it may not have been successful, but they definitely had a certain logic in mind for the interface. It is touched on briefly in this interview:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/285067-pentax-inter...-business.html

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 08:31 PM ----------

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it looks like you've been vindicated yet again Ken. No misunderstanding -- here's a shot of the body armour for the K-S2:

This is taken from the CP+ 2015 coverage on TheVerge.com: The most important camera gear at Japan's biggest photo show | The Verge

Just a photo though, it doesn't say anything about the body armour.
What is the point of this "armor" besides making the camera really ugly and the controls more difficult to operate?
02-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #675
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Does anyone know when it will be available the online K-S2 user manual?
The one for the K-S1 just appeared one day, Edri, before the product release.