Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #706
Forum Member

Nobody remarked on the wide opening under the "purotekuto jakketto"?? It seems to me like the AA holder would fit perfectly in there. Has there been any official word on whether the K-S2 will accept AA's or not?

02-18-2015, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Has there been any official word on whether the K-S2 will accept AA's or not?
Finally found a picture of the bottom. It looks like "definitely not".

Someone will probably ask why the door is shaped the way it is - it's probably to have room for your finger when pressing the little catch that holds the battery in place (hidden by the battery in this shot, but it's there on the K-r/30/50/500...).

Pentax K-S2 Review: Hands-On Preview
02-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #708
Veteran Member

Why do I want this camera so badly!? I can't understand it...
02-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #709
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
They're very small - I have a K-S1 - and are great as your second camera at an events shoot, or your main camera for an all-day walk around/hike. :-)

02-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #710
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
How well or how poorly he does in terms of representing Pentax is a matter of opinion. I actually think his task would be more worthwhile if he did his proselytising among Nikonites and Canonites. Preaching to converts is quite pointless. By the way, he was not selected directly by Ricoh as ambassador. It was Focus Nordic who thought it might be a good a idea to get this guy to promote a segment of their products. I know the Scandinavian languages, so I have a reasonably clear overview of what this guy is up to.
That is very true; it's a matter of opinion, and it seems the majority, including myself; appreciate his posts here. If you or anyone else doesn't like his posts, simply skip over them. I'm delighted to see his posts generate enthusiasm for our Pentax!

Also, what difference does it matter who promoted him? He still represents Ricoh; and very well, in my eyes!
02-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #711
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Me too!
02-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #712
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Finally found a picture of the bottom. It looks like "definitely not".

Someone will probably ask why the door is shaped the way it is - it's probably to have room for your finger when pressing the little catch that holds the battery in place (hidden by the battery in this shot, but it's there on the K-r/30/50/500...).

Pentax K-S2 Review: Hands-On Preview
But there still might be a grip connector under the sticker

02-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #713
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
No, no - the sticker is covering the slot for the swappable sensor module to upgrade to FF.

(I'm pretty sure the sticker is covering the recess where the maker/model/compliance data/"Made in" sticker goes. The narrow recess to the right of the tripod socket is for the serial number.)

Last edited by THoog; 02-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.
02-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #714
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A lot of brands out there have battery grip connectors inside the battery slot... so you never know .
02-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #715
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With no AA option I don't understand why they didn't at least use the K5's power source? To separate it from the higher end models?
02-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #716
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If they left off the AA capability because of space issues, then the same issues would probably apply to the larger battery, as well as weight - the K-S2 is already a hair heavier than the K-50.

It appears to be a feature that those who like, like a LOT - but the vast majority of used K-r/30/50s I've seen have not included an AA adapter, suggesting most owners didn't use AAs.
02-18-2015, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #717
Veteran Member

I have a K-30. I own a third-party AA adapter and it's a huge hassle for me. I like having a spare D-Li109 (in the form of a Wasabi cell). I am glad the K-S2, which I have pre-ordered, uses the same battery as my K-30, and I couldn't care a bit that they left out the AA adapter. Boom! Bam! Bla-dow! It suprises me that the subject has had so many pages of discussion here. :-o
02-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #718

According to Camerasize.com

Compare camera dimensions side by side
  • Pentax K-S2 is 2% (2.5 mm) wider and 2% (1.5 mm) shorter than Pentax K-S1.
  • Pentax K-S2 is 4% (3 mm) thicker than Pentax K-S1.
  • Pentax K-S2 [678 g] weights 22% (120 grams) more than Pentax K-S1 [558 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

There probably isn't much room for moving things around to make space for a larger battery compartment. The mechanism for the articulating screen probably takes up a bit of space.
02-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #719
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If they left off the AA capability because of space issues, then the same issues would probably apply to the larger battery, as well as weight - the K-S2 is already a hair heavier than the K-50.

It appears to be a feature that those who like, like a LOT - but the vast majority of used K-r/30/50s I've seen have not included an AA adapter, suggesting most owners didn't use AAs.
I never realized how small the grip is until you posted that pic (which is a great find, BTW, thanks!) and it surely doesn't look like it could take a much larger battery. It's about time they made those things denser
02-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #720
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
It suprises me that the subject has had so many pages of discussion here. :-o
Ditto.
I came here to see what was shakin' and found the AA discussion is still running on and on and..................