Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I've pointed out the rubber plug for the AC adapter before. The adapter is the K-AC128, same as the K-r/30/50/500. The K-30/50/500 have the same plug on the side (in the K-r, it was in the door itself). If the K-S2 was going to have a grip, I think they would have included that in the accessory list at launch.
From the AC adapter to battery grip is a small step ... some can dream... can't they?

02-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
From the AC adapter to battery grip is a small step ... some can dream... can't they?
Sure, but no one took that step in four previous models (except for an ingenious Frankengrip over in the PF DIY forum), so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/n00bs/sets/72157650443172139

Looking at the pix in M Kurosawa's flickr set, I found it interesting that the K-S2 has a full-sized main circuit board, same as the previous DSLRs (I want to call it the "motherboard" 'cause I'm a computer guy). I had thought it might have a small board, like the K-01. To have a full-sized board AND tilt/flip LCD in a body not much thicker than a K-r suggests they squeezed the SR chassis. Something had to give.

Also, those LCD hinges are huge! Typical Pentax, built like a tank.
02-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #738
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No grip according to faq Google Translate
02-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #739
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nope the hole right under where the info sticker apparently goes. It doesn't have a (visible) black screw in it. Also notice the orange plate has a slanted pattern and the pink one doesn't.
I think that's what I meant/described. Underneath that there's a screw.

Who knows what that hole could be... it might be yet another, but deeper inside screw. Or something to orient something with that is mounted to the camera... but I doubt that, because the location, if one mounting point is the battery slot, is not ideal. It should be further on the other side. I also remember some video cameras having a pin next to their tripod mount, so the orientation on the tripod is always the same... but it doesn't look like that...

02-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #740
Veteran Member

Sure, but no one took that step in four previous models (except for an ingenious Frankengrip over in the PF DIY forum), so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Looking at the pix in M Kurosawa's flickr set, I found it interesting that the K-S2 has a full-sized main circuit board, same as the previous DSLRs (I want to call it the "motherboard" 'cause I'm a computer guy). I had thought it might have a small board, like the K-01. To have a full-sized board AND tilt/flip LCD in a body not much thicker than a K-r suggests they squeezed the SR chassis. Something had to give.

Most probably nobody took the dive because Pentax unfortunately for now are not as popular. I know for one popular NEX camera, some third companies did battery grips (and I think was JUST that, a batter grip and nothing else).

So, if K-S2 gets to be very popular since a lot of people like it already, maybe someone will make something... maybe...

Btw, I would love to be able and purchase a demonstrator body, lenses and flash... all see through .
02-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #741
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, that's awesome.

As for the being thicker bit... it can also be that the screen has gotten thinner... I mean, AFAIK the thinnest smartphone right now is 4.7mm thick. 4.7. And they had to fit a battery, motherboard with all the components, a camera, etc. within that thing. Plus a plastic casing. The second place goes to one that has a metal casing and is 4.75mm thick. And the glass on the screen should be around 0.3mm in both cases. So I'm not too surprised. Also if you look at the photos it looks like the screen sticks out a bit, next to the part on the right where the buttons are.
02-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #742

Any confirmation about video SR?

02-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #743
Pentaxian

It isn't mentioned as a feature in the official specs, so i guess it isn't present, otherwise it would have been advertised
02-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #744

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
It isn't mentioned as a feature in the official specs, so i guess it isn't present, otherwise it would have been advertised
So You think that there is REAL SR for video?
02-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #745
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
So You think that there is REAL SR for video?
Actually i meant the contrary, since no such a feature (mechanical SR during video) was mentioned in the official press release, nor in the official spec sheet on Pentax website

I don't know if it absence has also been officially confirmed by other sources

Pentax K-S2 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
02-19-2015, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #746
Veteran Member

They removed the SR in video due to noise of she SR system being recorded. However, they should have left it enabled, because if you want better quality sound, just use the mic input.

Even better, they should do something in software, like IF the mic is connected, enable hardware SR. If not connected, use fake SR. Or just have it selectable in menus, so no one can complain about recording noise from SR.
02-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Thanks for the link, that's awesome.
Full credit to @i83N for finding it.

As for the being thicker bit... it can also be that the screen has gotten thinner... I mean, AFAIK the thinnest smartphone right now is 4.7mm thick. 4.7. And they had to fit a battery, motherboard with all the components, a camera, etc. within that thing. Plus a plastic casing. The second place goes to one that has a metal casing and is 4.75mm thick. And the glass on the screen should be around 0.3mm in both cases. So I'm not too surprised. Also if you look at the photos it looks like the screen sticks out a bit, next to the part on the right where the buttons are.
If anything, the overall screen is thicker - the frame on the tilt screen looks pretty thick - I'd say at least 7mm, plus the plastic back of the camera, and there's a little space between the back and screen when closed. The screen only sticks out a couple mm. The old screen did have a pretty wide air gap between the LCD and glass. It's possible they just replaced the existing screen with the tilt screen without squeezing anything else, but it's tight.
02-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #748
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Yeah, but we are talking about Pentax here. They don't realize that other brands advertise that feature because people want it. They are probably too ashamed of it, if they decided to include it.

It used to be selectable in the menu... and they could just add another menu point. Sensor shift SR, movie SR, no SR. Olympus offers sensor shift SR, sensor shift + movie SR, no SR. That's how you do it... in that case even movie SR makes sense. IMHO a simple warning... "Keep in mind that the SR mechanism may generate noises that can be heard through the INTERNAL microphone" would be more than enough. Users don't get surprised when it does appear, and those who want it can use it.

Btw., I have a Canon point & shoot that has (lens based) SR for video, and my, that system gets picked up by the microphone! Even though the stabilization isn't as efficient, and the camera has no mic inputs. Guess what... Canon left it in there. And despite the noise it makes, and it's actually noticeable, unlike what the K-5 does, and the not so effectiveness of the system, and the fact that thanks to a CCD sensor there is no jell-o-vision anyway, I leave it on. It still helps.

@Parallax: I didn't start it this time. I promise! (And I am not the only one who cares :P ).

Btw., Pentax said this is their best DSLR for video as of now, I'd like to know why they think so. The encoder seems (on paper) no different from what the K-3 has, it doesn't have a headphone out, it can't have more controls than the K-3, ... so what exactly makes this better? Only the screen? If it had sensor shift SR, then yes, if it had higher bitrates, yes again, but I don't see anything like that yet.
02-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #749
Pentaxian

Se can only hope it has been left out of the spec sheet my mistake then

However, are we sure that noise is the real reason it was disabled and not only what pentax told us ? I mean maybe there are other more "shameful" technical reasons like i don't know...overheating with prolonged use ? Or battery drain...or perhaps durability concerns...that forced the engineers to disable it, or to rework the system completely. Since there are some cameras with mechanical SR enabled, and to the best of my knowledge there are no more failures than then norm...i guess noise is the real reason then
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #750

and they could just add another menu point. Sensor shift SR, movie SR, no SR
This is best way to do it, but I little pessimistic about..

Anyway I'm having bad GUgF syptoms (Gear Upgrade Fever).