Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #781
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My Photobucket can give me the option to download to my device, whatever it is, but my FluCard can't., what .. the idea is, you have both devices turned on, you download from the camera to the iPad, you turn the camera off.... critical for folks like me who are working with limited battery on long trips. I simply will not waste a half hour of battery life on my camera, so I can look at the day's pictures.
Sorry but the way you said it the first time it sounded like you were expecting a device to completely turn off or on based on a wi-fi call.
The thing is that you cannot turn-off the camera completely and expect it to "answer wi-fi calls". You need the camera to be in a "stand-by" mode rather than be turned off. As far as I know, there is no such technology that allows you to turn on and off a device without some sort-off "listener" that is in direct contact with your device and can turn it on or off when the call is made. And this will require constant power... so your battery will slowly drain away. Unless you manually turn off and on the camera.

02-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #782
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Sorry but the way you said it the first time it sounded like you were expecting a device to completely turn off or on based on a wi-fi call.
The thing is that you cannot turn-off the camera completely and expect it to "answer wi-fi calls". You need the camera to be in a "stand-by" mode rather than be turned off. As far as I know, there is no such technology that allows you to turn on and off a device without some sort-off "listener" that is in direct contact with your device and can turn it on or off when the call is made. And this will require constant power... so your battery will slowly drain away. Unless you manually turn off and on the camera.
Doh...
02-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #783
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doh...
Been there, done that.
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #784
Veteran Member

I am not too clear what is the wi-fi on K-S2. I have seen that it can communicate with a smartphone.
I would like to transfer photos from K-S2 card (usual card not the expensive Flucard) to a HDD connected to a Windows PC. Will be possible this with the K-S2?

02-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #785
Veteran Member

WiFi connection is usually slow for file transfer, especially for RAW files. Could be different with this new K-S2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Card readers are still the best and most reliable solution, and they are very cheap. You can even find some USB v3 readers now, which are much faster
02-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #786
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
WiFi connection is usually slow for file transfer, especially for RAW files. Could be different with this new K-S2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Card readers are still the best and most reliable solution, and they are very cheap. You can even find some USB v3 readers now, which are much faster
I would only use the WiFI to transfer the jpegs, so, not really an issue, and the reason for transferring from WifI would be, I could select the images I want to download. For example, if I shoot a 23 image burst of a moose crossing a river, I Just want the keepers on my iPad, not the whole series. So I might choose to down;road 2 or 3 of the 23 onto my iPad, it should be simple. If I download the whole Flucard, which would be easy. I have a card reader for that, cost me 40 bucks.
02-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't mind a simple, functional and somewhat true screen. If my photos look better on the rear LCD than they look in reality, and especially if they look very sharp and I get home and I didn't nail that focus - I'd be pretty pissed. So I don't see the point of OLED screens, or at least I'm not really willing to pay for them.
I think the idea of a good screen on the camera is to be able to judge exactly what you got. And if you want to figure out if you nailed that focus... zoom in. The resolution on the camera screen will always be lower than that of the actual image (and if it does have the same resolution, you still can't tell because your eyes can't resolve that much on such a small screen.

@normhead: Samsung claims (up to) 50 meter range on their NX1, I suppose if Pentax did their job right you can expect something like that from the K-S2 too. Though 50 meter sounds rather optimistic. Transfer speeds were quite decent, in the demo video it took something like a second to transfer a 6 MB file. Should be better than what the FluCard can do. Though on the other hand the video feed from the NX1 on the smartphone looked much better than that of the K-S2 demo from CP. The NX1 had perhaps 15 fps, the K-S2 looked more like 2 fps... hopefully they will improve that until the launch.

02-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #788
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The KS2 will not be controllable with the Image Sync application unless you are willing to spend many $ for an iPhone. You won't be able to control it with an ipad because it doesn't have the NFC chip and Apple does not intend to include it in future ipads. Since the KS2 also doesn't have a wired remote jack, it becomes less and less interesting. At least, I can control my K30 with a wired remote and also a Wireless RF transmitter that works fine. I wanted to buy the KS2 but will probably get a K3 since it's a much better camera than the KS2 and the price difference is only $20. in Canada right now. I had high hopes for the KS2 but it's a big disapointment for me anyway.
02-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #789
Forum Member

Do not be to quick to judge the wi-fi whirl. Read between the line's. When I mention read between the line's it does not mean the word's.
Think about the M*D*L line. Between 6:45am and full sunrise after k3 this spring.
02-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #790
Veteran Member

I would only use the WiFI to transfer the jpegs, so, not really an issue, and the reason for transferring from WifI would be, I could select the images I want to download. For example, if I shoot a 23 image burst of a moose crossing a river, I Just want the keepers on my iPad, not the whole series. So I might choose to down;road 2 or 3 of the 23 onto my iPad, it should be simple. If I download the whole Flucard, which would be easy. I have a card reader for that, cost me 40 bucks.
A cardreader for a cellphone is cheap on ebay. You download only what want, at least on a Galaxy.
02-21-2015, 03:47 AM   #791
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
A cardreader for a cellphone is cheap on ebay. You download only what want, at least on a Galaxy.
All you need is an USG OTG cable and a regular card reader. I bought one from Transcend with USB 3.0, and it works great. Total cost less than 10 Euro. Now I should probably find a raw viewer for my camera.

I devices are a bit different, not surprised it costs more there. For a start they don't have a USB port.

It would be great if you could just connect the camera to an external hard drive or USB drive and copy the files that way.
02-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #792
Veteran Member

That makes sense, and that's what I did with the Toshiba FlashAir card. But I found I just don't use it much because most of my photos are in RAW and I enjoy working on them later
02-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #793
Veteran Member

It's not a mistake, there is no remote control jack. If you want to use Wifi with the Image Sync app, you need an iPhone, it won't work with an iPad. I'll forget the KS2 and get a K3 for $20. more. The K3 is a much better camera than the KS2 anyway in my opinion.
02-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #794
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
.....You won't be able to control it with an ipad because it doesn't have the NFC chip and Apple does not intend to include it in future ipads.
AFAIK the NFC chip only makes the WiFi connection easier, you will still be able to connect manually without it.
02-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #795
Veteran Member

Has anyone seen that Image Sync application? Can't find it in the Apple or Google stores. Maybe it's too soon for that.