Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #796
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
That makes sense, and that's what I did with the Toshiba FlashAir card. But I found I just don't use it much because most of my photos are in RAW and I enjoy working on them later
I have my K-3 to record in raw on the first card and jpeg on the Flucard, I'll download the raw files on my computer, on the my iPad I just want a record of what I have.

02-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #797

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
The KS2 will not be controllable with the Image Sync application unless you are willing to spend many $ for an iPhone. You won't be able to control it with an ipad because it doesn't have the NFC chip and Apple does not intend to include it in future ipads. Since the KS2 also doesn't have a wired remote jack, it becomes less and less interesting. At least, I can control my K30 with a wired remote and also a Wireless RF transmitter that works fine. I wanted to buy the KS2 but will probably get a K3 since it's a much better camera than the KS2 and the price difference is only $20. in Canada right now. I had high hopes for the KS2 but it's a big disapointment for me anyway.
Source of your information? Ricoh states on their website:
"With the built-in WiFi and NFC module, users can wirelessly control camera operation, transfer images, and view images, making image transferring and sharing easy and seamless. A dedicated app (Image Sync) is available for Android and iOS devices. Image Sync app brings improved ease of use to wireless tethering." (emphasis mine)
So my Android buddies will be able to control the K-S2 when it comes out, and it implies I'll be able to control it with my iPad since it's also an iOS device.
02-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #798
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No NFC in the iPad.

You won't be able to control the KS2 with an iPad because it doesn't have the NFC chip. Apple say that they don't intend to put that in an iPad because they want you to buy an iPhone probably. I want to be able to control the camera, not just transfer pictures to a Cloud somewhere. I'll try to find another tablet which offers a NFC chip Inside. I might get lucky. I know that my Samsung phone doesn't have one.
02-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #799
Veteran Member

I think it will be possible to control it via WiFi, not just NFC.

02-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #800
Veteran Member

I'll try to find another tablet which offers a NFC chip Inside. I might get lucky. I know that my Samsung phone doesn't have one.
Google Nexus 9
Google Project Tango
Hisense Sero 7

Dell Venue 11 Pro - VERY good tablets - one of my favorites (Dell Venue 11 Pro HD Windows Tablet | Dell Canada)!!!
Sony Xperia Z2
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Google Nexus 7
Google Nexus 10

etc...

Plenty of tables/phablets out there with NFC...
02-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #801
Veteran Member

ZeljkoS , I hope your'e right.
02-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #802

You won't be able to control the KS2 with an iPad because it doesn't have the NFC chip. Apple say that they don't intend to put that in an iPad because they want you to buy an iPhone probably. I want to be able to control the camera, not just transfer pictures to a Cloud somewhere. I'll try to find another tablet which offers a NFC chip Inside. I might get lucky. I know that my Samsung phone doesn't have one.
I think you're misinterpreting what NFC can do. NFC has an extremely short range (a few inches), and it's often used to get two devices to quickly start a Wi-Fi connection (much larger range), but you can also make Wi-Fi connects without NFC. Also, a few inches is unpractical as a remote. I also used to own a NEX-5T, which also has NFC and Wifi, and I had no problems connecting the camera with my non-NFC iPhone by Wifi.

Ultimately, we'll get the answer when the camera and app are actually released, but my bet is that remote is done by Wifi, and NFC is an optional convenience.

02-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #803
Veteran Member

gerbilbox, thanks for the info, let's wait and see. Hopefully it will work with my iPad. Here is what Pentax says about this;

This model is Wi-Fi ready. With the dedicated smartphone app, you can shoot remotely, transfer and view images, and upload to social networking services from the palm of your hand. In addition, you can pair your NFC compatible smartphone with it just by waving your smartphone over the camera.

Maybe NFC is not needed. I hope so.

Last edited by VE2CJW; 02-21-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Incomplete.
02-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #804
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you can pair your NFC compatible smartphone with it just by waving your smartphone over the camera
NFC supports auomatic handshaking and pairing. You will almost certainly be able to manually link any device that runs iOS or Android and can also run the app. You'll just have to manually enter the pairing information like we had to do before NFC (I imagine similarly to the Eye-Fi Pro card I manually paired to my Q and iPad a couple years ago before the FW update that installed the Eye-Fi Menu in the Q).
02-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #805
Veteran Member

ZeljkoS , I hope your'e right.
Well, look at FluCard. It's not NFC, it's WiFi. And it allows controlling the K-3 remotely.

Wireless K-3 control: Pentax FluCard review: Digital Photography Review

So, I think that will be the same in K-S2. NFC is just more convenient, because if you are already using WiFi on your phone to connect to Internet, you can use NFC to control the camera.
If you don't have NFC, just use WiFi
02-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #806
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
Well, look at FluCard. It's not NFC, it's WiFi. And it allows controlling the K-3 remotely.

Wireless K-3 control: Pentax FluCard review: Digital Photography Review

So, I think that will be the same in K-S2. NFC is just more convenient, because if you are already using WiFi on your phone to connect to Internet, you can use NFC to control the camera.
If you don't have NFC, just use WiFi
Thanks a lot, it helps.
02-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #807
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I have a Samsung Mini NX, and NFC is a supplementary feature used to setup the wifi connection between devices.

It's not needed if you manually join the camera's network with your tablet..
02-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #808
Veteran Member

NFC is only there for quick connect between 2 devices. It doesn't do much else.
Control will be over WiFi always.
02-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #809
Veteran Member

Thanks guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
NFC is only there for quick connect between 2 devices. It doesn't do much else.
Control will be over WiFi always.
Now it's simpler to understand. Thanks again.
02-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #810

Photos: Albums
While the iPhone 6 has NFC hardware, it is presently limited to use with Apple Pay. I'm seriously thinking of getting the K-S2 and would like to get full functionality out of its wireless capabilities, so when it comes time to get at new phone this year, I might go Android if Apple has not opened things up by then. Here's a speculative post about expanded NFC functionality on the iPhone.

What Happens When iPhone NFC Opens Up ?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
NFC supports auomatic handshaking and pairing. You will almost certainly be able to manually link any device that runs iOS or Android and can also run the app. You'll just have to manually enter the pairing information like we had to do before NFC (I imagine similarly to the Eye-Fi Pro card I manually paired to my Q and iPad a couple years ago before the FW update that installed the Eye-Fi Menu in the Q).