Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #811
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
While the iPhone 6 has NFC hardware, it is presently limited to use with Apple Pay. I'm seriously thinking of getting the K-S2 and would like to get full functionality out of its wireless capabilities, so when it comes time to get at new phone this year, I might go Android if Apple has not opened things up by then. Here's a speculative post about expanded NFC functionality on the iPhone.

What Happens When iPhone NFC Opens Up ?
NFC just helps make it easier to set up the pairing between devices. It does nothing once the devices are paired. It's merely there for convenience.

Don't expect Apple to give access to NFC, they didn't even implement it until there was money involved (Apple Pay). I've had NFC for at least a couple years in my Nokias.

02-24-2015, 03:52 AM   #812

Photos: Albums
K-S2 manual

K-S2 user manual, in french sorry....

PENTAX K-S2 - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
02-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #813
Pentaxian

The english version is also online now. I downloaded it and it seems legit. Last time i checked it was a link to the K-S1 manual :P

PENTAX K-S2 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

For example, one interesting point is that there is no mention of the "Composition adjustment using sensor-shift" which was present on the K-3 and also on the K-30/50 family, if i am not mistaken.

Last edited by simon_199; 02-24-2015 at 04:48 AM.
02-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #814

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from the manual we can see that in this model video mode is still a failing part of Pentax. Pity.
Hopefully Ricoh Pentax will improve soon as they mentioned improvements are being worked on due to the growing demand. At least Ricoh Pentax keeps on being great for stills.

02-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #815
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
from the manual we can see that in this model video mode is still a failing part of Pentax. Pity.
Hopefully Ricoh Pentax will improve soon as they mentioned improvements are being worked on due to the growing demand. At least Ricoh Pentax keeps on being great for stills.
What exactly disappoints you? I haven't looked through the manual...
02-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #816

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Now it's simpler to understand. Thanks again.

Your fears have been allayed by the just released K-S2 manual: it's has wifi instructions for connecting to non-NFC devices, and even uses a screenshot from an iPad. So all iOS machines can act as a remote for the new camera.
02-24-2015, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #817

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
What exactly disappoints you? I haven't looked through the manual...
Mostly because it is pretty much the same as on K30, aperture can be set only before recording, so for convenient video shooting you still need to have legacy lenses with aperture ring ( that is fine cause older lenses are still better for video use, but would be nice to control aperture on DA lenses too(during video recording that is) , wifi is disabled during video recording, means no remote control while filming, There is no mention of focus peaking during video recording nor any mention of HDMI video output to external recorders. That is of course to be confirmed only by those who could try this or by engineers, but since wifi remote control is not available during video recording and aperture control is still not enabled during video recording leads to assume that nothing much really has changed since K30/K-S1. Hopefully decoder is improved. Only changes tat seem to be there are mic input and swivel screen that improves video features, some elements on this gorgeous cam seemed to be a possibility for more exciting things. But it is still a huge step from Pentax to the right direction.

I would love to upgrade for the swivel screen alone, but looks like the my eyes are now more on FF model and what to come after it at Pentax brand and NX1 if Ricoh Pentax insist on not giving some love for video and photography guys and girls. But there is still some time before the production versions reach the stores and they might surprise with similar decoder like the one found in OM-D EM5 mark 2, that would be pleasant and worth thinking to upgrade too.

02-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #818
Veteran Member

Mostly because it is pretty much the same as on K30, aperture can be set only before recording, so for convenient video shooting you still need to have legacy lenses with aperture ring ( that is fine cause older lenses are still better for video use, but would be nice to control aperture on DA lenses too(during video recording that is) , wifi is disabled during video recording, means no remote control while filming, There is no mention of focus peaking during video recording nor any mention of HDMI video output to external recorders. That is of course to be confirmed only by those who could try this or by engineers, but since wifi remote control is not available during video recording and aperture control is still not enabled during video recording leads to assume that nothing much really has changed since K30/K-S1. Hopefully decoder is improved. Only changes tat seem to be there are mic input and swivel screen that improves video features, some elements on this gorgeous cam seemed to be a possibility for more exciting things. But it is still a huge step from Pentax to the right direction.

I would love to upgrade for the swivel screen alone, but looks like the my eyes are now more on FF model and what to come after it at Pentax brand and NX1 if Ricoh Pentax insist on not giving some love for video and photography guys and girls. But there is still some time before the production versions reach the stores and they might surprise with similar decoder like the one found in OM-D EM5 mark 2, that would be pleasant and worth thinking to upgrade too.
I see. I think the WiFi thing was to be expected, and judging by the demo that Ricoh did at CP it wouldn't be useful anyway. The frame rate was really low, more of a slide show. Not sure why it is so bad... the QX (?) lens camera thing by Sony can stream properly, the Samsung NX1 can stream properly, I suppose the Olympus Air too (like that Sony lens camera thing).

The aperture thing might be a mechanical issue? As in the motor that controls the aperture is coupled to the motor that moves the mirror, or something like that, and it isn't in higher end Pentaxes. I think I once received such an explanation by my dealer or somewhere on the forum...?

No focus peaking... I thought that was a limitation of the CPU in older cameras... haven't they upgraded the processor?

You mean the encoder... yes, I hope that has improved, but if the processor is the same as before (see no focus peaking) then I don't have any hope for that happening.

I still very much prefer my K-5 for video then... which is a shame. That camera was launched... 5 years ago?
02-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #819
Veteran Member

wifi is disabled during video recording, means no remote control while filming,

I don't know what the limitation of Wifi during video shooting is, the GH3 does the same, in the sense that when you start filming with the application, you can only stop it directly on the camera. Else it will stop filming after a certain amount of time passes (minutes). I don't remember (I haven't found much use for the feature) if it will stream though.
02-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I don't know what the limitation of Wifi during video shooting is, the GH3 does the same, in the sense that when you start filming with the application, you can only stop it directly on the camera. Else it will stop filming after a certain amount of time passes (minutes). I don't remember (I haven't found much use for the feature) if it will stream though.
Likely a battery/power issue.
02-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #821
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Originally posted by DominicVII "Quote Well, why don't you identify the source?"

Eh, my source is Pentax
Really?
Cool,.. tell 'em to read the posts here about what changes need to be done to the video side of the firmware,...
( or tell 'em to PM me )
02-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
The english version is also online now. I downloaded it and it seems legit. Last time i checked it was a link to the K-S1 manual :P

PENTAX K-S2 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

For example, one interesting point is that there is no mention of the "Composition adjustment using sensor-shift" which was present on the K-3 and also on the K-30/50 family, if i am not mistaken.
Thanks!
02-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #823
Veteran Member

From what I read it seems that this K-S2 resembles some characteristics with K5. I remember when when K5 appeared was some talked about issues with third-party flashes exposure, as Metz for example. Is it possible that K-S2 to present such problems, too?
02-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #824
Pentaxian

Another little piece of information, on one of the official Pentax stores in Europe, it says that the preordered K-S2s will ship on the 15th of March. Last time i checked a few days ago this information wasn't there

PENTAX K-S2
02-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #825
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Really?
Cool,.. tell 'em to read the posts here about what changes need to be done to the video side of the firmware,...
( or tell 'em to PM me )
I asked him to talk about the SR at least, and maybe a few more things like bitrate. Hopefully that will help. Lets just fix the easy things first.