Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 109 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 03:35 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
I don't think they will ever relase another FA limited. They will get a rework and be labeled D-FA * WR or something similar.
$Most likely yes, but I think the intended question was targeting DFA Limited.

02-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
From my scant reading about MF cameras, even the APS-C AF system of the Pentax MF cameras is quite advanced when it comes to what MF photographers are used to; to the extent of Reichmann and Devlin criticising the 645Z for being "too easy" to use.

Of course there are very sophisticated AF systems from Hasselblad, for instance, but it appears that many MF shooters do not expect much from AF and that the Pentax AF is considered a very welcome extra, in particular at this price point.

Hence, I'd say Pentax can be excused for not having developed a new high-end AF for their MF offerings. The market appears to allow re-using the APS-C system. I think, the same reasoning will not apply to the FF model. Here, Pentax is facing different competition.
The problem is the coverage. It doesn't even spread over the complete APS-C area, which means it is a rather center focused system for the FF, and very much so for MF.

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 13:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why isn't the USB3 connection of the K-3 used for tethering?

It would support much quick transfer of images compared to the FLUcard.
Yup. I would also like USB OTG support. Being able to plug in say an external hard drive to copy the files as a backup.
02-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #138
Forum Member

One other question I'd like to ask:

The recently released FA* 70-200mm is the first lens to officially use the newly developed Aero Bright Coating II.
What can you tell us about this new coating, and will this new technology be featured in any current or future medium format lenses?

[I'm not sure if it would be better to say: medium format lenses or 645 lenses, additionally if you wanted you could direct a question solely to the new lens coating and drop the part about the 645 lenses]
02-10-2015, 03:48 AM   #139
Forum Member

My questions would be..

Since nobody's asking anything about the 645 system, I came up with some. Hope it's not too late.

(1) Why did you discontinue the 25mm lens? Any particular reason?

(2) Will there be a replacement for the 25mm? Maybe a super-wide zoom or prime?

(3) The road map shows one standard and one telephoto zoom lenses in the works for the 645 system,
anything else you would like to add?

(4) What sensor resolution (how many MPs) did you have in mind designing the new lenses like 28-45mm and 90mm?
What would be their limits? 60MP? 80MP?

Thanks guys!

02-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First off, I'd say thanks for doing something positive with the system. This kind of reminds me of the excitement when the K10D and the first DA* lenses came out after so many rebadged *ist DS cameras.

Now, the question: What has been the product development process since purchasing Pentax from Hoya—what products were already well under way from the Hoya years and were just finished up and released, what products were in the early stages of development and were developed under both owners, and what products are distinctly Ricoh Imaging products?

Thanks!
02-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Is Pentax/Ricoh developing the new lenses for de Full Frame system independently or in cooperation with another lens maker (like was done in the past with Tokina).

---------- Post added 11-02-15 at 14:39 ----------

Who is the chief lens designer for Pentax and can we interview him.
02-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Now, the question: What has been the product development process since purchasing Pentax from Hoya—what products were already well under way from the Hoya years and were just finished up and released, what products were in the early stages of development and were developed under both owners, and what products are distinctly Ricoh Imaging products?
i second that !

02-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thank you all for the countless replies and suggestions! I can't reply to every post but I've gone through the entire thread and will include a handful of the questions posted. I will check this thread once more in about 12 hours prior to finalizing the interview.

Was already answered at Photokina:
PF Interview with Ricoh Imaging at Photokina 2014 - Photokina 2014 | PentaxForums.com

Also partially answered at Photokina. The 645Z supply couldn't meet the demand in early months.

Great idea, but also very much a niche. This could easily be accomplished via a photoshop action with crop mode disabled for DA lenses.

This hasn't been officially stated anywhere, but I fear you might be right since Pentax dared to go as far as sticking an APS-C AF system in their medium format DSLRs. We will ask a question about the AF at the interview.

This question would be better-directed at US Ricoh Imaging reps. We will ask about the market share but product availability is not something the Japanese reps would know much about. I'm sure it's an area that's being worked on, however: i.e. we can now buy the Pentax K-50 in-store at Target

This would be an amazing feature, but it's a technical question beyond the scope of our interview. I will include it on a written list of suggestions that we'll submit to the reps at the show.
You can buy the K-50 and the WG-4 at Costco.com, but not in the store.
02-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #144

Ok probably I'm late but my question would be: "With the new D-FA zoom lenses both using a DC AF motor, will SDM (ora a new re-incarnation of it) be used again in future DA* and D-FA* lenses?"
02-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Is Ricoh commited to continued support screw drive lenses?
IOW - will the new FF body support screwdrive lenses?
02-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IOW - will the new FF body support screwdrive lenses?
Look at it. It has a physical AF-switch. That is only needed with a in body AF drive.
02-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Look at it. It has a physical AF-switch. That is only needed with a in body AF drive.
hmmmmm.

Business logic (and I have maintained) says they wouldn't remove the motor from the body - but this is the first physical manifestation anyone has pointed to.

Fear Meter edging back down.
02-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #148
Forum Member

Will the new K-mount FF come in lavender, amber and turquoise?
02-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #149
Veteran Member

If no one has thought of this, we should point-blank ask "Is Pentax doomed?"
02-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

now that they have FF coming, I'd like to know their plans for FF (more than one body eg. high and mid level?) and FF lenses (primes?), but also what plans they have for aps-c in particular the K-3 line, when will we see a new model etc.