Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Question: I heard that a camera manufacturer has approached Magic Lantern - open source developers of a custom firmware for Canon DSLRs, aimed at filmmakers - to work with them. Perhaps similar to OnePlus working with CyanogenMod for their first smartphone (which as a result was very popular, and could have been sold in big numbers if they had been able to produce that many). It sounds like a great way of getting excitement and press in the video world, as well as getting video functionality that matters to potential buyers. Might it be Pentax that did this? If not, any chance of Pentax following the lead?

02-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They're not really going to compete.

They're just going to flow around the other guys as if they're rocks in the river and laugh all the way to the ocean.
Exactly.

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
When will Pentax seriously go mirrorless ?
They will not, because mirrorless itself is very unserious, if not laughable proposition for the advancement of the image quality and overall experience. It cannot deliver it. Cameras may be a bit easier to make, but good optics for the mirrorless is a nightmare to design.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-07-2015 at 07:37 PM.
02-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They will not, because mirrorless itself is very unserious, if not laughable proposition for the advancement of the image quality and overall experience. It cannot deliver it. Cameras may be a bit easier to make, but good optics for the mirrorless is a nightmare to design.
Fuji doesn't seem to have a problem making "good optics for mirrorless".

Neither does Zeiss.
02-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Exactly.

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 01:34 PM ----------

Yeah... I'm sure that's what they're saying over at Fuji and Sony...

02-08-2015, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #110
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thank you all for the countless replies and suggestions! I can't reply to every post but I've gone through the entire thread and will include a handful of the questions posted. I will check this thread once more in about 12 hours prior to finalizing the interview.

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Are you planning to update FA Limited lenses and if yes can you tell us what is considered (coatings, quickshift, WR, motors, ...)?
Was already answered at Photokina:
PF Interview with Ricoh Imaging at Photokina 2014 - Photokina 2014 | PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
1) Looking to the past 12-18 months, for a moment, could you tell us from Ricoh's perspective about the market response to products such as the K-3 and 645z? Reviews for both products have been extremely positive, but have they met the projections and expectations of Ricoh, and is the Pentax brand in a healthy state?
Also partially answered at Photokina. The 645Z supply couldn't meet the demand in early months.

QuoteOriginally posted by donfenix Quote
Adam, I would like to suggest a rather unique feature to Ricoh for their upcoming FF camera. It regards a DA lens mounted on an FF sensor and how you can create two cropped shooting modes in addition to the regular cropped mode that would make great use of the available sensor area. Please take a look at the following sketch and let me know whether you think this is worth mentioning to Ricoh. Imagine being able to jump to any of the 3 cropped modes illustrated on the right while looking through the viewfinder or at the rear screen by simply pressing a button or turning a wheel. I don't think any of the current camera makers has this simple feature on offer.
Great idea, but also very much a niche. This could easily be accomplished via a photoshop action with crop mode disabled for DA lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My question - As I understand, new FF camera will have AF module of K-3. Is it real to make AF points not in the centre, but wider?And make special small joystick to choose it quickly.
This hasn't been officially stated anywhere, but I fear you might be right since Pentax dared to go as far as sticking an APS-C AF system in their medium format DSLRs. We will ask a question about the AF at the interview.

QuoteQuote:
Please ask about marketing.. what are the major road blocks? Why only 15% of sales outside of Japan? Only 4% in the Americas? Why can't I go to Costco, Best Buy, Target and buy a Pentax DSLR? Why no advertising geared toward US market? I don't know, maybe you can make it a run on sentence to make it one question.
This question would be better-directed at US Ricoh Imaging reps. We will ask about the market share but product availability is not something the Japanese reps would know much about. I'm sure it's an area that's being worked on, however: i.e. we can now buy the Pentax K-50 in-store at Target

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Can we have a firmware feature where (by press of a progammable button) the phase AF fine tune is taken from the current contrast AF operation?
This would be an amazing feature, but it's a technical question beyond the scope of our interview. I will include it on a written list of suggestions that we'll submit to the reps at the show.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2015, 04:22 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Originally Posted by :
Please ask about marketing.. what are the major road blocks? Why only 15% of sales outside of Japan? Only 4% in the Americas? Why can't I go to Costco, Best Buy, Target and buy a Pentax DSLR? Why no advertising geared toward US market? I don't know, maybe you can make it a run on sentence to make it one question.
This question would be better-directed at US Ricoh Imaging reps. We will ask about the market share but product availability is not something the Japanese reps would know much about. I'm sure it's an area that's being worked on, however: i.e. we can now buy the Pentax K-50 in-store at Target 

Hi Adam. I know that this question is sort of regional, but I think we're also having the same problem here in Philippines. Maybe you can ask how would they penetrate the market and convince more dealers to carry Pentax. Probably you can also ask how can they improve after sales service in other Asian countries.
02-08-2015, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Fuji doesn't seem to have a problem making "good optics for mirrorless".

Neither does Zeiss.
Which, even for 4/3 or APS-C sensors, are the same size and weight as for 35mm SLR, or even bigger. That's a whole point people forget.

You buy a flimsy camera that pretends to be 'small', and then you are given a lens larger than its 35mm SLR equivalent. And inferior too, with a larger focus group, inferior in optical quality, loaded with corrective elements, and built from more lightweight materials to allow constant work of the motors for contrast detection and EVF feed, etc.

Even Olympus and Panasonic, knowing their lenses will not be smaller at all from 35mm SLR lenses, and realising this will be a burden for the 4/3 standard (which is still ~ 25% of the FF sensor area), relaxed 100% telecentric image requirement for their lenses. They resolved to 'sort out' things ... later. In in image processing and delivering below excellent results. That is why they resolved for 4/3 sensor size, as it relaxes the requirements for telecentricity especially in corners, as 4/3 is small enough for cutting all around edges. And invested heavily in abandoning the CCD technology for the same reason, as the CMOS is more tolerant for less than perfect angle of light entrance.

As a result you have a bit smaller lenses, but which are an optical nightmare. Totally unusable anywhere else but on that camera. They can't even work without heavy software corrections.

On the other hand, why old SLR lenses are still perfectly usable on all mirrorless systems, and some even between different SLR mounts?

Because of their superior optical design, which does not mess around with image clarity and colour separation. Registration distance is important. It adds to the clarity of picture and simplicity of the lens design. And the lens, being simpler, is lighter and easier to focus, final image much crisper.

Do a proper lens that is 100% image telecentric and with no colour crosstalk in colour filter array, you get a lens bigger than an SLR lens for any larger-sensor mirrorless system, even for m4/3. That is why Nikon has done it half-right, for going for smaller sensor size than 4/3, and Pentax even better, for choosing even smaller than 1". Only in such cases mirrorless may have some size advantage. But it is not a substitute for anything seriously optically demanding.

Thus what is larger-sensor mirrorless 'buzz'? One step forward, two steps backwards. It is not a solution. It is a fad, as it throws through the window the most important fact in photography — superior optics. That paradigm does not exist anymore. People buying mirrorless systems do not even know what kind of optical garbage they are getting with it. But if they want to buy it right, they buy optics which is bigger, heavier and more complicated than SLR optics, and still unusable anywhere else.

Mirrorless is kinda new Polaroid; use it a year or two, and then throw in the bin.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-08-2015 at 06:31 AM.
02-08-2015, 06:29 AM   #113

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Do you envisage a pro-level aps-c body ala k3 existing alongside the FF or will aps-c drop down a rung?
Another vote for this question.

02-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I will include it on a written list of suggestions that we'll submit to the reps at the show.
Please could you also add to that list a request to update the firmware of all recent cameras to allow the back AF button to wake the camera from sleep?

Thank you.
02-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #115
Pentaxian

@totsmuyco: The Malaysian distributor for Pentax is doing a decent job, with events, offers, workshops, ...

@Adam: That's great. We have a video suggestions thread in the video forum, if you'd like I'm sure we can put it into list form so you can give it to the rep.

@Uluru: I remember some pretty small and good Fuji lenses. And Leica has been doing these for ages.

And why would lenses for a short flange distance have to be bigger? In that case wouldn't they be able to increase the flange distance in the lens? Just have some empty space. You can design it so that the lens folds away.

Old SLR lenses also have the angle problem since it didn't matter back then, and the latest Samsung sensor is said to be much more tolerant to the angle of incoming light.

SLR lenses were perfected for a long time. Oh and keep in mind that even for the same lens size a mirrorless camera will be smaller overall, and the center of gravity is closer to the photographer. It is easier for me to shoot at 50mm with the 50mm prime than with the 18-55 kit lens. I can hold it more stable.
02-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
No that is a TC where your AF on lenses still work. The thing I was refering to is an adapter that makes it possible to autofocus with old K,M,A lenses.
I'd love it but I doubt it very much.
Those things are considered clunky these days (not that I agree) and the result (you using AF with old lenses) is probably the last thing Ricoh wants.
Giving you reasons to buy new lenses though...

---------- Post added 08-02-15 at 15:17 ----------

Mirrorless is kinda new Polaroid; use it a year or two, and then throw in the bin.
I gree about the weights issues but this comment, Uluru, is not accurate.
Simply because it is not a feature of mirrorless, it is a feature of current cameras 'cos their manufacturers wants them to.
02-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Are you planning to update FA Limited lenses and if yes can you tell us what is considered (coatings, quickshift, WR, motors, ...)?
A question about coatings on DA* lenses was answered in that interview, but I didn't see anything about FA Limited (especially quickshift, WR, motors). Did I miss it?

The FA Limited question is particularly pertinent now with FF plans announced.
02-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #118
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
A question about coatings on DA* lenses was answered in that interview, but I didn't see anything about FA Limited (especially quickshift, WR, motors). Did I miss it?
Ah, good catch! We'll indirectly ask about the FA Limiteds at CP+.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ah, good catch! We'll indirectly ask about the FA Limiteds at CP+.
Maybe a good moment to ask if there are some new lenses coming in the FA Limiteds line?
02-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #120
Pentaxian

This hasn't been officially stated anywhere, but I fear you might be right since Pentax dared to go as far as sticking an APS-C AF system in their medium format DSLRs.
From my scant reading about MF cameras, even the APS-C AF system of the Pentax MF cameras is quite advanced when it comes to what MF photographers are used to; to the extent of Reichmann and Devlin criticising the 645Z for being "too easy" to use.

Of course there are very sophisticated AF systems from Hasselblad, for instance, but it appears that many MF shooters do not expect much from AF and that the Pentax AF is considered a very welcome extra, in particular at this price point.

Hence, I'd say Pentax can be excused for not having developed a new high-end AF for their MF offerings. The market appears to allow re-using the APS-C system. I think, the same reasoning will not apply to the FF model. Here, Pentax is facing different competition.