Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They already did last year. Look for our review of the DA 1.4x converter.
I believe the question was targeted at a TC that supports AF even for MF lenses.

02-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Now for interview questions:

Will the lens naming be updated to allow easy identification which lenses can also be used on the FF?
02-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #123
Pentaxian

What is the source of the P-TTL flash delay on the K-3?
02-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Why not allow users downgrading to older firmware versions?

The camera could issue a warning when detecting an older firmware, but that should be overridable.

Sometimes new firmware versions appear promising, but then turn out to change aspects one would rather have seen unchanged. It would be very nice if one could downgrade in such cases. With the current scheme -- upgrades only -- I often do not upgrade due to not being able to undo the step.

I realise that there is a point in having everyone operate with the latest firmware -- it simplifies troubleshooting and service questions -- so any time this becomes relevant the latest firmware version could be required by Pentax/Ricoh. Furthermore, in practice, many users will not be on the latest firmware version anyhow.

02-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Have Ricoh considered using the SR mechanism to support macro shooting?

This would require the use of translation sensors for shake reduction and perhaps even calculating movement along the lens axis in order to automatically adjust focus.
02-08-2015, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

Have Ricoh considered to change the aperture during the exposure?

This would implement an apodisation simulator that could equip many lenses with the buttery smooth bokeh of the 135 f/2.8 T/4.5 STF lens.
02-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #127
Pentaxian

Why isn't the USB3 connection of the K-3 used for tethering?

It would support much quick transfer of images compared to the FLUcard.

02-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Have Ricoh considered using frame lines in the viewfinders instead of blacking out the non-APS-C parts when using APS-C crop mode on the FF model?

This would allow seeing objects move into the frame, before they actually entered the APS-C crop area.
Seeing a bit of context around the actual frame is a feature that makes rangefinder cameras very interesting to some and the FF model could offer it for the APS-C crop mode.
02-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I have a question about the lenses. As we all know Pentax has made quite a few legendary lenses in the past. The Holy Limited Trinity, certain lenses in the A* and FA* series etc.
Is Ricoh/Pentax planning to develop more legendary lenses in the future? And with that I mean lenses which do not have perfect MTF graphs but a pleasing overall picture (not overcorrected: no harsh bokeh, no onion bokeh etc.)
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Second
I'll second that too

And i will add : Pentax have a great lens legacy, but also shown new exciting lens recently (DFA*). Will Pentax exclusively developpe new lenses or do you consider using this legacy ?
02-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it really, I mean really coming out? Are you sure?
02-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #131
Forum Member

A question I would like to submit:

With the K-S2 having a flip out screen, (a first for Pentax) as well as, a mic jack are we correct to assume that the K-S2 is intended to give a superior video experience compared to Pentax's previous cameras?

Last edited by SGOMMO7; 02-09-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: my post got merged into one so I was afraid I would be ignored for asking two questions
02-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #132
Pentaxian

"Thank you Ricoh!"
02-09-2015, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

Ricoh recently released a SDK (Software Development Kit) for the Theta. Are there any plans to release a SDK for DSLR's like the K-3?

Allowing 3rd party developers to build apps for Pentax cameras and expand camera functionality (eg to support tethering, or expand the range of video options) would be very useful for a wide range of users.

---------- Post added 2015-02-09 at 08:25 PM ----------

Cameras like the K-3 and 645Z already support exposure bracketing. It seems technically possible to also do focus bracketing (when AF lenses are mounted) with current cameras. Does Ricoh have any plans to add a focus bracketing option to the camera menu in any future Pentax DSLR's?

In-camera focus bracketing would be very useful for macro photography, as well as other shooting genres. It could work as an extension of the existing 'catch in focus' capability of all Pentax DSLR's.

Last edited by rawr; 02-09-2015 at 02:25 AM.
02-09-2015, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #134
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Great idea, but also very much a niche. This could easily be accomplished via a photoshop action with crop mode disabled for DA lenses.
Adam, the main problem with what you are proposing is that the exposure will get somewhat random, especially that 4 corners plus two bands on either side of the image will be black (that's ~30% of your image). If you shoot in crop mode, choosing your crop type (regular APS-C, portrait APS-C, or Square as I proposed) before you release the shutter, it would give you many benefits including the following:
  • The camera will know exactly what part of the sensor to care about in terms of exposure, but also data processing (think time-saving, memory allocation and buffer fill optimization, battery saving, etc).
  • Your chances of taking better composed pictures increase because you will have to actually think about your composition properly and will be able to visualize it right off the bat (rather than making it an after-thought process).
  • In portrait APS-C crop mode you'll read the info in your viewfinder or on the screen easily since the text will be horizontal
  • In portrait APS-C crop mode your flash will illuminate your subject from the direction you want, and will be easier to bounce (especially if it doesn't have a swivel head like the 1st generation AF 360FGZ)
  • In square crop mode you'll effectively use 63% more sensor area (20.4^2 instead of 16^2)
  • In square crop mode your crop factor will be effectively 1.18 (24/20.4) instead of 1.5 (24/16). Your perspective control will be easier for scenes and subjects that have 1:1 aspect ratios. Your "35mm equivalent" focal length will be much closer to the lens' actual focal length because you'll multiply it by 1.18 instead of 1.5.

Last edited by donfenix; 02-09-2015 at 03:17 PM.
02-09-2015, 03:25 AM   #135

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe a good moment to ask if there are some new lenses coming in the FA Limiteds line?
I don't think they will ever relase another FA limited. They will get a rework and be labeled D-FA * WR or something similar.