Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #31
New Member
ShadowMan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lower Mainland, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
SDM 16-50mm Sun Camera Repair Timeline

Well.. I'm the bloke that started that "other" Sun Camera thread just under a year ago and I'm still without my 16-50mm. Thought I would add my ordeal in a more abbreviated version to this discussion. I'll forego the details about my DA* 50-150mm SDM as it was returned to me within a couple months fixed properly. My 16-50 was sent in for a notable impact to the front of the lens.

June 21st, (ish) 2014 - Ricoh Canada received my 2 SDM Lenses and immediately forwarded them to Sun Camera as part of the first batch of repairs under this newly authorized repair centre.

July 2nd 2014 - I received my (GULP) estimate to replace 2 lens groups & other parts so I authorized the repairs.

Late July 2014 - Informed that one of the lens groups was backordered.

Mid September 2014 - Finally received my lens. Appeared to be working on my initial tests however didn't have the chance to immediately take it out and really run it through it's paces.

Late November 2014 - Started noticing the all-too familiar squeaky & sluggish auto-focus of the SDM motor issue (an issue this lens was already repaired for back in 2009)!

Early December 2014 - Sent lens back to Sun Camera. Within a week of receipt it was confirmed that they failed to replace a 3rd part (the front lens group assembly) during the first repair and advised it would be repaired under the 90 day repair warranty. However, at the same time, I was informed that this part was... wait for it... BACKORDERED!

Late December 2014 - Advised said part was enroute from Japan and would arrive the first week in January.

2nd week in January 2015 - Advised there was an error. The technician had ordered the wrong part from Japan!!! They only ordered a partial assembly whereas my lens required the entire assembly. >

March 23rd 2015 - No change... still waiting for said part from Japan. At this time they are apparently looking at "other" avenues of acquiring the parts. I am currently waiting to hear back from the Ricoh Repair Manager.

Note - Sun also advised me that the ordering process from Japan entails all parts shipped to Ricoh in the U.S. who then forward them on to Sun Camera here in Canada. I worked for Pentax Canada for 2 years here in Vancouver right up until that office was closed in 2003 and back then parts came directly from Japan.

I hope I'm the exception and I'm certainly glad to hear that others are having better experiences than I am.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Feb 8 2014 - 16-50 provided to Phototec in St. John's for repair
Spring / Summer 2014 can't get parts for lens
Nov 24, 2014 lens shipped to Sun Camera by Phototec. Quote for repair (same parts)
Feb 22, 2015 - still waiting for parts.
Gareth, what parts are they waiting for?


Last edited by ShadowMan; 04-01-2015 at 08:48 PM.
04-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. John's, NL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 449
QuoteOriginally posted by ShadowMan Quote
Well.. I'm the bloke that started that "other" Sun Camera thread just under a year ago and I'm still without my 16-50mm. Thought I would add my ordeal in a more abbreviated version to this discussion. I'll forego the details about my DA* 50-150mm SDM as it was returned to me within a couple months fixed properly. My 16-50 was sent in for a notable impact to the front of the lens.

June 21st, (ish) 2014 - Ricoh Canada received my 2 SDM Lenses and immediately forwarded them to Sun Camera as part of the first batch of repairs under this newly authorized repair centre.

July 2nd 2014 - I received my (GULP) estimate to replace 2 lens groups & other parts so I authorized the repairs.

Late July 2014 - Informed that one of the lens groups was backordered.

Mid September 2014 - Finally received my lens. Appeared to be working on my initial tests however didn't have the chance to immediately take it out and really run it through it's paces.

Late November 2014 - Started noticing the all-too familiar squeaky & sluggish auto-focus of the SDM motor issue (an issue this lens was already repaired for back in 2009)!

Early December 2014 - Sent lens back to Sun Camera. Within a week of receipt it was confirmed that they failed to replace a 3rd part (the front lens group assembly) during the first repair and advised it would be repaired under the 90 day repair warranty. However, at the same time, I was informed that this part was... wait for it... BACKORDERED!

Late December 2014 - Advised said part was enroute from Japan and would arrive the first week in January.

2nd week in January 2015 - Advised there was an error. The technician had ordered the wrong part from Japan!!! They only ordered a partial assembly whereas my lens required the entire assembly. >

March 23rd 2015 - No change... still waiting for said part from Japan. At this time they are apparently looking at "other" avenues of acquiring the parts. I am currently waiting to hear back from the Ricoh Repair Manager.

Note - Sun also advised me that the ordering process from Japan entails all parts shipped to Ricoh in the U.S. who then forward them on to Sun Camera here in Canada. I worked for Pentax Canada for 2 years here in Vancouver right up until that office was closed in 2003 and back then parts came directly from Japan.

I hope I'm the exception and I'm certainly glad to hear that others are having better experiences than I am.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 08:47 PM ----------



Gareth, what parts are they waiting for?
I'm not sure. To be honest, I'm waiting for the lens to show, run tests on it and then largely divest most of my DSLR kit. I've been using an X-E1 largely for the past year with the odd use of the K-5 and the 50-135 for telephoto stuff. So the loss of the use of the 16-50 has not been a real hardship, just an annoyance.
04-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #33
Pentaxian
kp0c's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 721
I have shipped my 50-135mm to them for an out of warranty repair. The lens would not lock focus between 90-135mm. I hope it won't need parts! Such a shame that Ricoh cannot set up a warehouse full of parts somewhere in America...
04-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #34
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Such a shame that Ricoh cannot set up a warehouse full of parts somewhere in America...
They have one of those - except all the parts are stuck inside new cameras and lenses that Ricoh would like you to buy instead of repairing stuff.

04-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #35
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 59
I was involved in retail years ago, and learned that a company's desire, and ability, to support and service after the sale determined their long term commitment to their product. Therefore, since I'm in Canada, this thread is a bit frightening. I will admit it does give me grave concern about continuing with Pentax, particularly as regards the full frame. I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's time to divest all my Pentax, and K mount Sigma lenses, and go to .... I don't know, probably Nikon. (I'm not going to pretend they're perfect, but they have to be better than this thread indicates Pentax currently is.)
04-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,284
QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
I was involved in retail years ago, and learned that a company's desire, and ability, to support and service after the sale determined their long term commitment to their product. Therefore, since I'm in Canada, this thread is a bit frightening. I will admit it does give me grave concern about continuing with Pentax, particularly as regards the full frame. I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's time to divest all my Pentax, and K mount Sigma lenses, and go to .... I don't know, probably Nikon. (I'm not going to pretend they're perfect, but they have to be better than this thread indicates Pentax currently is.)
Heh. A friend broke something in his 2x TC from Nikon. He sent it in for service and three months later in frustration bought a new one. I think they cost about $500 or so. I've had excellent service from Pentax Canada, and just sent in a K3 for cleaning and adjusting. There will always be stories about service, and it seems that reorganizing service arrangements end up causing more.
04-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,260
Original Poster
They got me out a part I needed in two days, I got a phone number, the guy was helpful and informative.... so far no complaints.
04-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #38
New Member
ShadowMan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lower Mainland, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
I'd like to re-iterate that there are numerous people on this thread and most likely oodles more that have had excellent service from Sun Camera. Having read those remarks gives me hope that this is pretty much a one-off situation.

When I worked for Pentax Canada, we had our horror stories too. Luckily there weren't many at all but I have to chuckle about the fact that I've become "that guy" who keeps phoning them every week because of back-ordered parts. LOL Told myself long ago I'd never be "that guy" but then... i wasn't on this side before. In fact this is the first issue I've ever had with any Pentax Authorized repair.

I'd just like to be able to use my 16-50 again. :P

04-24-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,284
27 march sent K-3 off for a service. Got it back 20th April. Pretty happy and the quickest service to date from Pentax Canada.
04-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Rnovo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mahone Bay, NS, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 283
QuoteOriginally posted by ShadowMan Quote
I'd like to re-iterate that there are numerous people on this thread and most likely oodles more that have had excellent service from Sun Camera. Having read those remarks gives me hope that this is pretty much a one-off situation.

When I worked for Pentax Canada, we had our horror stories too. Luckily there weren't many at all but I have to chuckle about the fact that I've become "that guy" who keeps phoning them every week because of back-ordered parts. LOL Told myself long ago I'd never be "that guy" but then... i wasn't on this side before. In fact this is the first issue I've ever had with any Pentax Authorized repair.

I'd just like to be able to use my 16-50 again. :P
Great thread...
Sun Camera has been doing a fair job so far for me (in Halifax) since it is the latest repair outlet. I'm still waiting for a request to provide a satisfactory deal for my 5th SDM incident from the main office, yes the 5th... 4 on my 16-50mm and the first on my 50-135mm. It appears that all SDM issues are shipped to Pentax and not Sun because there is a new motor and part number (?). I'm still waiting for an answer from Pentax as it seems that they are in some major organizational change...? I had been in touch with a Steve Ho who is now retired and I'm not sure who is replacing him because my request on some arrangement on those latest SDM costs are still being ignored...
Does anyone know what's going on at Pentax Canada as it seems that Sun Cameras is doing what it can so far...?
Not a happy camper...
04-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #41
New Member
ShadowMan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lower Mainland, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I'm still waiting for an answer from Pentax as it seems that they are in some major organizational change...? I had been in touch with a Steve Ho who is now retired and I'm not sure who is replacing him because my request on some arrangement on those latest SDM costs are still being ignored...
Does anyone know what's going on at Pentax Canada as it seems that Sun Cameras is doing what it can so far...?
Not a happy camper...
Interesting points you raise. My 16-50 is still there sitting collecting dust. Sun Camera did make a couple errors originally but I'd still be in the same boat With no parts for my lens... The frustrating part is that nobody from Ricoh/Pentax will talk to me direct. Sun Camera asked the the fellow filling in for Stephen Ho to call me with an update and he supposedly refused to do it! He told them he had no interest in speaking directly to a customer! I'm floored!

All I hear now is that they are "looking into finding parts for my lens". Initially I can deal with that but it no longer flies with me after hearing the same thing for 4 months now.

All I can say is that it's letter writing time again!
05-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #42
bxf
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,136
I've often wondered what the explanation is for months-long delays in obtaining parts for various products. Things can be shipped from/to just about anywhere and received in days.

Does the delay imply that the required part is not in stock even in the manufacturing source? If so, then it means that it has to be manufactured, and this is difficult to fathom. If it is in stock, then it shouldn't take long to ship it.
05-18-2015, 03:23 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Rnovo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mahone Bay, NS, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 283
QuoteOriginally posted by ShadowMan Quote
Interesting points you raise. My 16-50 is still there sitting collecting dust. Sun Camera did make a couple errors originally but I'd still be in the same boat With no parts for my lens... The frustrating part is that nobody from Ricoh/Pentax will talk to me direct. Sun Camera asked the the fellow filling in for Stephen Ho to call me with an update and he supposedly refused to do it! He told them he had no interest in speaking directly to a customer! I'm floored!

All I hear now is that they are "looking into finding parts for my lens". Initially I can deal with that but it no longer flies with me after hearing the same thing for 4 months now.

All I can say is that it's letter writing time again!
Well, maybe we should be doing something collectively... I still don't have an answer on my questions concerning my 2 lenses from the Ricoh people. The guy who was answering Stephen Ho's phone when he retired is David Schurer - never called me back as he said he would. It seems they changed phone # in the mean time and I finally got a lady "Guliana" who just about swore on the bible to call me back...? Still waiting...
How about starting a petition and sending it to the head office in Japan...? There seems to be at least three other guys on this forum that have my problem as well, and what about the ones who don't want to pursue the matter for their own reasons, 30 out of 188 or so have a big problem with those lenses as seen on the "lens serial number database" and how many haven't told the forum of any of their problems...?

You can see the other thread on this here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/295489-does...ml#post3255419
05-18-2015, 03:51 AM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,475
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I've often wondered what the explanation is for months-long delays in obtaining parts for various products. Things can be shipped from/to just about anywhere and received in days.
I bet they don't ship an individual or even small batches of parts. But they should find better solutions than having customers waiting that long.
05-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. John's, NL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 449
Just as an update, I recieved the lens on Saturday.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, canada, contacts, david, feb, form, guys, japan, lens, motor, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, repair, requirement, ricoh, sdm, service, signature, st, sun, verification, week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change to Ricoh Canada Service Department ShadowMan Pentax News and Rumors 23 12-15-2014 04:41 PM
"Professional Service" - 645z users can use free Service in GER mazwick Pentax Medium Format 3 09-12-2014 01:52 AM
Tamron lenses - Service in Canada? jpzk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 01-18-2012 01:22 PM
Pentax Canada-great service Arn Pentax K-5 2 11-20-2011 12:52 PM
Pentax Canada - K10D Service experience getmoresoon Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-11-2009 08:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top