Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Much appreciated info.

05-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
And... I was informed just this past week that they now have the parts and should be shipping mine out anytime. I didn't get a chance to call during the week so will call them tomorrow for an update.

Crossing my fingers!

---------- Post added 05-18-2015 at 10:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Well, maybe we should be doing something collectively... I still don't have an answer on my questions concerning my 2 lenses from the Ricoh people. The guy who was answering Stephen Ho's phone when he retired is David Schurer - never called me back as he said he would.[/url]
Funny you should mention David Schurer. I'm impressed you actually got to speak to him but not surprised that you haven't heard from him since. He's the fellow who refused to call me when Sun Camera asked him to.

:P
05-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Talked to him today and he said that at a show down in Dallas Ricoh has agreed to build and stock him a Pentax display case. Said he was even planning on maybe bringing in a 645z system or two to put on it for 10K Cdn! I suppose I could hit my retirement savings for such a thing!

Anyway, maybe Pentax is strongly coming back in Newfoundland, at least!

Is this just around the corner from Middle Cove? Also - I would have to agree that Derek is a real champ, and there is no wonder that Ricoh agreed to build him a display Awesome to hear about the Z. Can't wait!
05-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
Is this just around the corner from Middle Cove? Also - I would have to agree that Derek is a real champ, and there is no wonder that Ricoh agreed to build him a display Awesome to hear about the Z. Can't wait!
No. Churchill Square near the university. Nice store.

05-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #50
Forum Member

No. Churchill Square near the university. Nice store.
Oh, sorry - I meant the picture you posted of the coast. He sells chocolate too.
05-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
Oh, sorry - I meant the picture you posted of the coast. He sells chocolate too.
Doh.

Cape Spear.
05-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Talked to him today and he said that at a show down in Dallas Ricoh has agreed to build and stock him a Pentax display case. Said he was even planning on maybe bringing in a 645z system or two to put on it for 10K Cdn! I suppose I could hit my retirement savings for such a thing!

Anyway, maybe Pentax is strongly coming back in Newfoundland, at least!

That is amazing. A year or two ago Derrick told me he was convinced that the Pentax brand was in imminent danger of extinction.
05-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #53

So My lens was shipped out on Thursday by Canada Post and I'm just awaiting it's arrival. Now I'm just trying to get the tracking number from Sun (apparently they typo'd it on the work order and are looking for the original packing slip copy).

During the phone conversation I was informed that they do not put a signature requirement on packages!!! So my $900 lens will arriving with no form of verification of the recipient! I guess I was spoiled when Pentax Canada was around. I'm excited about all the new directions Ricoh is going with new Pentax products but I'm left feeling that they consider the entire service department side of things as an afterthought and necessary evil. I will just be happy to have my lens back and have an end to this chapter.

---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ShadowMan Quote
During the phone conversation I was informed that they do not put a signature requirement on packages!!! So my $900 lens will arriving with no form of verification of the recipient!
Update: Received an email back (rather quickly) with my tracking number and low and behold the delivery instructions do in fact indicate a signature is required. I am pleasantly relieved. I'm going to chalk it up as a oversight. Now time to move on and capture some images!

08-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #54
Site Supporter

DA* 16-50mm shipped on March 3 and still waiting for parts as of July 30...! The fact that I did a bit of "push" at Pentax-Ricoh Canada has maybe something to do with it...? They did finally allow the repair of this lens and the 50-135mm free of charge, as under warranty. The 50-135mm works flawlessly, for now?
08-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #55

I odered a 300mm F4 over 2 months ago from a local dealer and still no lens in site...... vacations they say....
08-03-2015, 04:38 AM   #56
Site Supporter

I've scanned the posts in this thread and I found no reference to the Camera Repair Shop on Hunter St. in Halifax.
I regularly bring my Pentax equipment to them for cleaning and service. It is also my understanding that the shop was and may still be an authorized Pentax Warranty Repair facility. I know from experience that camera shops such as Carsand Mosher and Applebee's used to sent cameras to them for service.
08-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

The only experience I've had with Pentax/Ricoh is when I sent my *istDL to them in an attempt to have it repaired earlier this year. The bad side was they told me the required parts were out of production and unavailable. Since the camera was therefore a paperweight, I asked them if they would dispose of it for me. They did so, and as they did not have to send it back, the experience was free of charge (apart from the original postage). They sent me an update email with this bad news, and the e-mail came from a human being who was helpful with my requests for clarification rather than a no-reply address. All in all, I have to rate the experience a positive one, despite the bad news about the camera.
08-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #58
Site Supporter

One Good Experience

Well, I have to say I'm favorably impressed by Sun Camera Service. They received my damaged K-3 on August 6th. I got an estimate on the 10th, at which point I authorized the repair and told them I was hoping to use the camera during some upcoming vacations. They told me the needed part was in stock, and that they'd put a rush on the repair. And this morning, August 17th, Canada Post delivered my K-3 back to me. From a few test frames, it appears fully functional, and has also been updated to the latest firmware (I was still running 1.11). Even the price seems fair: under $300 to replace the lens mount, which had been damaged in a fall. Only small nitpick is that I'd double-boxed it on the way there (K-3 OEM box in another box), but they sent it back in only the OEM box with some thin paper around it. No harm though, so all in all a very positive experience.