Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Service in Canada

I've spoken with the guys at Sun Camera, the new service guys for Pentax in Canada. I needed a part for my DA*60-250, one of the SDM contacts broke off. The lens stopped working and I went to clean the contacts, one of them was gone. I exchanged a few emails and eventually phoned to get the part I needed and pay for it, It came to 40$ for the part and $25 shipping and handling, and was at my mailbox about 4 business days later. I asked about sending the lens in for cleaning and lubrication, they said right now there'd be a two week turnaround, so three with mail in both directions, about the same as the old Pentax was. Of course if they get busier it will take longer. I assume the wait for Japanese parts will be about the same. 2 to 3 week minimum if they have to send out. They had the contacts in stock.

info@suncameraservice.ca

If anyone needs them...

norm

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2015 at 07:34 PM.
02-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads up , Norm.
02-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, Norm.
It could be very useful one day ... we never know!
02-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, good reference point.

I experienced a 3-4 week turnaround with the previous Pentax service centre (several times), going through local dealer (Henry's). Sun seems okay, then.

I take it that your SDM contact issue was user-repairable. Also good to know.

- Craig

02-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks, good reference point.

I experienced a 3-4 week turnaround with the previous Pentax service centre (several times), going through local dealer (Henry's). Sun seems okay, then.

I take it that your SDM contact issue was user-repairable. Also good to know.

- Craig
Take out the two small screws visible beside the contacts... pull it out, put the new one in, put the two screws back in. Pice of cake. The only possible problem being those screws are really small. I flirted with losing them. And you need a set of jewellers screw drivers, which I imagine anyone thinking of working on a lens would have in any case.
02-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-30 was sent back to Canada Dec. 22, 2014 to the selling store for forwarding to Pentax repair for a warranty repair. The battery retaining lug had broken. It is due home tomorrow. With there being Christmas and the New Year in the time frame, I am tickled with the turn around time.
02-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

With the old Pentax repair facility I used to get a 30 day..almost to the day, send, fix and return. But I'm in the west.

Used them twice, they did a good job.

Sounds like you're satisfied, with the new service Norm. Am I correct ?

BTW, thanks for posting.

02-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

Thanks for letting us know. They aren't that far from me, and I was already thinking of taking an M42 macro lens in to see if they could do a CLA job on it. But my K5 could also use a good cleaning and I wasn't sure where I had planned on getting that done.
02-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Very good news - esp. that there was a thread from a year+ ago that wasn't exactly positive. Those times match my experience with the the 'old' direct to Pentax times, so I'm a happy camper - thx for posting!
02-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've waited a week in the lobby of the Argentia location before any one responded to the interoffice phone in the lobby (at least it seemed that long at the time).

Good to have a public awareness of turn around a for good measure. TFS.
02-18-2015, 02:51 AM   #11

I'll add my experience with Sun Camera/Pentax repair as an additional reference.

July 7, 2014 - 16-50mm sent in for it's 4th sdm repair through original retailer
July 28, 2014 - K3 submitted to determine af problem not in camera
Jan 16, 2015 - Lens af repaired and camera returned
02-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wwan Quote
I'll add my experience with Sun Camera/Pentax repair as an additional reference.

July 7, 2014 - 16-50mm sent in for it's 4th sdm repair through original retailer
July 28, 2014 - K3 submitted to determine af problem not in camera
Jan 16, 2015 - Lens af repaired and camera returned
Ouch
02-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ouch
It seems to have taken them a long time to get their Pentax stuff set up.... but I'm hoping they're good to go now. Also, if they needed a part from Japan, they were waiting for Ricoh.... I tend to think they'd be faster now. I sure hope you had a second body and a few lenses, that would be a bummer. The big thing for me was they have a phone number I can reach and a guy I can talk to. That wasn't true before.
02-19-2015, 11:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It seems to have taken them a long time to get their Pentax stuff set up....
Why do they ask for the camera in July already, if they cannot do anything useful until the following January?

Leaving a customer over five months without their camera is atrocious service. Wwan would have to confirm, but asking for the camera to be sent in was probably unnecessary in the first place.
02-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why do they ask for the camera in July already, if they cannot do anything useful until the following January?

Leaving a customer over five months without their camera is atrocious service. Wwan would have to confirm, but asking for the camera to be sent in was probably unnecessary in the first place.
After 3 sdm repairs on the 16-50 (plus another 3 on the 50-135) I was pretty sure what the issue was. They wanted to confirm it was not camera related and promised to return the body to me promptly. After 2-3 months I started complaining to the retail manager. The manager complained to the Pentax/Ricoh rep. Neither appeared to be able to get a hold of anyone at Sun. It was just ridiculous.