Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

What a horrible story.

If you get further SDM trouble in the future, you may want to consider converting the lenses to use screw-drive AF. No disassembly required, just a few values in the lens data need to be changed:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html

You cannot break anything, if you do a backup of the lens data first.

02-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wwan Quote
I'll add my experience with Sun Camera/Pentax repair as an additional reference.

July 7, 2014 - 16-50mm sent in for it's 4th sdm repair through original retailer
July 28, 2014 - K3 submitted to determine af problem not in camera
Jan 16, 2015 - Lens af repaired and camera returned
Feb 8 2014 - 16-50 provided to Phototec in St. John's for repair
Spring / Summer 2014 can't get parts for lens
Nov 24, 2014 lens shipped to Sun Camera by Phototec. Quote for repair (same parts)
Feb 22, 2015 - still waiting for parts.
02-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I contacted Sun a few weeks ago when the lens release button on my K-5 went missing. They were quick to respond by email, but then let me know they were waiting for parts. Haven't heard anything in about 4 weeks so out-of-inventory parts take some time.

I work in Kitchener so the old Mississauga location for Pentax was very convenient as I could get there in about 1/2 hour and avoid having to ship my camera or lenses by courier. Waiting in the lobby for someone to answer the phone always felt pretty "Mickey Mouse" but at least I could hand deliver and pick up my equipment.

BTW - I first went to Henry's in Waterloo to see if I could get the release button that I need. When I tried to describe the part, I asked to see a camera so I could show them. They told me they no longer carry Pentax in-store.
02-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #19

Thanks for starting up this thread Norm, and everyone for their responses. I wonder if the problem with delays is at the Ricoh end of things, or an communication/coordination issue between Ricoh and Sun.

Looks like I may have dodged a bullet. I dropped off my K-5 and 55-300 there last month. The estimate came through fast enough. Unfortunately, the cost was prohibitive, so I'm going to wait for the new models to come out and go used or the new mid-range model. The lens still works OK...

Point being, I did not get to find out how long it takes to get new shutter block and other things ordered in and replaced.

One good thing was that while the Ricoh Canada website says there's a $25 fee if you turn down the work, they never mentioned it when the camera and lens were picked up.

Apparently Sun is an authorized Canon repaid centre and I did see some DPR threads saying they do good work. But I guess good work is tough to do if you can't get the parts.

Parts Description:
1 SHUTTER BLOCK; x 1 Price $77.69
2 TV/AV DIAL P. C. BOARD; x 2 Price $22.80
3 MISC x 1 Price $20.00
4 Price
5 Price
Parts Total $120.49
Labour $240.00
Other $0.00
Handling $0.00
Subtotal $360.49
GST $46.86
PST
Total $407.35

03-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
...They told me they no longer carry Pentax in-store.
Yeah what's with Henry's not carrying Pentax in store? Oh well, i guess it makes Pentax more of a unique brand.
03-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bman Quote
Yeah what's with Henry's not carrying Pentax in store? Oh well, i guess it makes Pentax more of a unique brand.
Same thing with the Henry's in St. John's, Newfoundland: no Pentax in-store for the last several months. This points to the success of marketing by Canon, Nikon and Sony. Because such an overwhelming percentage of the consumers that come through the door ask for one of these three brands, the stores simply stop carrying Pentax. Ricoh needs to do some marketing outside of Japan.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2015 at 12:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wwan Quote
I'll add my experience with Sun Camera/Pentax repair as an additional reference.

July 7, 2014 - 16-50mm sent in for it's 4th sdm repair through original retailer
July 28, 2014 - K3 submitted to determine af problem not in camera
Jan 16, 2015 - Lens af repaired and camera returned
I assume that the lens was from an early production run before the modified SDM motor became available. One would think that Sun would have installed the newer motor during one of those repairs.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2015 at 12:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Feb 8 2014 - 16-50 provided to Phototec in St. John's for repair
Spring / Summer 2014 can't get parts for lens
Nov 24, 2014 lens shipped to Sun Camera by Phototec. Quote for repair (same parts)
Feb 22, 2015 - still waiting for parts.
Scandalous! I already knew that Phototec had a long turn-around time, but Ricoh should be able to supply parts a lot quicker than what you are experiencing.
03-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Scandalous! I already knew that Phototec had a long turn-around time, but Ricoh should be able to supply parts a lot quicker than what you are experiencing.
Other than this lens I have had good experience with Peter at Phototec. He had a hard time with sourcing parts.

03-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same thing with the Henry's in St. John's, Newfoundland: no Pentax in-store for the last several months. This points to the success of marketing by Canon, Nikon and Sony. Because such an overwhelming percentage of the consumers that come through the door ask for one of these three brands, the stores simply stop carrying Pentax. Ricoh needs to do some marketing outside of Japan.
Pentax gets no love from the Henry's close to me either. They carry pretty much zilch, if I mention Pentax there is basically silence. Photographers are pretty brand loyal and store employees will push the brand they favour. Pentax would be wise to try and convert some of the sales people to the dark side.
03-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2015 at 12:57 ----------

That fits my experience with Phototec as well. Nice people, but seemingly totally unable to get parts. In my case for a Panasonic I brought there. Henry's does much better.

As far as instore Pentax in St. John's, Newfoundland Camera Imaging in Churchill Square has some amount of Pentax bodies and K-lenses. I got a K-50 there for better prices than Henry's as they threw in about $100 more of stuff over the basic kit. Insurance is more expensive but includes free cleanings for the duration of the policy.
03-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Same thing with the Henry's in St. John's, Newfoundland: no Pentax in-store for the last several months.
Miracle: the St. John's Henry's had a K-3 body and a few small accessory boxes two days ago. However, Newfoundland Camera & Imaging had no Pentax bodies whatsoever.
03-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

...However, Newfoundland Camera & Imaging had no Pentax bodies whatsoever.
In some respects that's good! I know for a fact they had several K-50s only recently. Both white and black as I had a choice!

Maybe we all can start a club! :-)
03-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

on a separate note, I was talking to Derek at NL Camera a week ago and he indicated they are getting back into film as a way to differentiate themselves. xpensive to buy film locally, but worth it if they are bringing it back.
03-22-2015, 05:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

on a separate note, I was talking to Derek at NL Camera a week ago and he indicated they are getting back into film as a way to differentiate themselves. xpensive to buy film locally, but worth it if they are bringing it back.
+1 for them
03-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I so wish someone near me, like within 300 km would do this.
03-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Talked to him today and he said that at a show down in Dallas Ricoh has agreed to build and stock him a Pentax display case. Said he was even planning on maybe bringing in a 645z system or two to put on it for 10K Cdn! I suppose I could hit my retirement savings for such a thing!

Anyway, maybe Pentax is strongly coming back in Newfoundland, at least!