Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh to reveal new pixel/sensor shift technology for the Pentax full frame DSLR camera | Photo Rumors

Ricoh/Pentax implementation will be slightly different

02-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Same source: Kimio Tanaka's tweets, this time via Digital Camera Info and Photo Rumors.
02-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please be available through FW update on K3. I imagine any camera body capable of AA simulation should have enough fine control to support this.
02-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Same source: Kimio Tanaka's tweets, this time via Digital Camera Info and Photo Rumors.
But this source says about different way of Ricoh in such technology...

02-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Please be available through FW update on K3. I imagine any camera body capable of AA simulation should have enough fine control to support this.
Doing so would help rejuvenate K-3 (remember what Canon did with their EOS 7D) and make it easier for customers to wait before the release of its successor that the amount of development efforts devoted to 645Z and the 24x36 camera certainly not helped to accelerate.

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But this source says about different way of Ricoh in such technology...
So did I in the original post .
(...)
(something close to, albeit slightly different from what exists in the recently announced Olympus OM-D E-M5 II).
(...)
02-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Doing so would help rejuvenate K-3 (remember what Canon did with their EOS 7D) and make it easier for customers to wait before the release of its successor that the amount of development efforts devoted to 645Z and the 24x36 camera certainly not helped to accelerate.[COLOR="Silver"]
I hope so if it's technically possible, as oppose to releasing a K3 II in order to get higher margin.
02-08-2015, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

IMO, there is no sense, and also brings some difficulties, to use a high resolution sensor, aka higher noise sensor, and a sensor/shift. Also, could hit the sales of 645z.

It makes much more sense to combine a 12Mp sensor, like those from A7s, with very low noise and very high sensibility, with this sensor/shift technology.

In this way, three very interesting features can be achieved:

1. A super sensitive and low noise camera.

2. A high resolution, even 48Mp. Or medium resolution, in between, with higher speed than that from 48Mp, if the sensor is very sensitive.

3. A pixel per pixel 4K video capability, also present only in A7s.

All in only one camera. That will make sense, at least as I see it.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 02-08-2015 at 09:50 AM.
02-08-2015, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I strongly disagree with the 12MP sensor - it's too much of a trade off, giving up low and mid-light performance for low-light. And the crop mode will be useless.
36MP would be nice, and it would help differentiating the camera from APS-C.

The pixel shifting whatever only works in certain conditions so it cannot really replace resolution.
02-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The pixel shifting whatever only works in certain conditions so it cannot really replace resolution.
Except in those situations. And if half your work is in those situations.....
02-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #40
ogl
Banned

Doing so would help rejuvenate K-3 (remember what Canon did with their EOS 7D) and make it easier for customers to wait before the release of its successor that the amount of development efforts devoted to 645Z and the 24x36 camera certainly not helped to accelerate.

I need to buy glasses
02-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Obviously. But what good, if all it would do is to get the detail up to 36MP levels?
02-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #42
Pentaxian

That is my prediction. There is life still in the K3 and especially the 645z. Many of the flaws of both those bodies could be improved by firmware upgrade or manufacturing refreshes; the movie modes in both, the shutter problem with the K3 (which seems to have disappeared with a mixture of both) ((anyone notice the very late fall production dates of the K3, coinciding with price reductions)) as well as a bunch of interesting things like super resolution. Even the WiFi flucard limitations are mostly a matter of firmware fixes, imagine that getting new life by exposing all the shutter modes. I suspect that even the AF could be improved by a good workover.

And all the R&D to do this stuff would benefit the full frame offerings to come. A great way to optimize use of the two arguably most limited resources that Pentax faces; engineering staff and production capacity.

I have two K3 bodies, both working very well. I probably won't buy a new body this year no matter what they bring out. I likely will buy a lens or two. The 645z guys won't buy a new one either. But both getting a substantial firmware upgrade will get new buyers.

It is very odd. Ricoh seems up till now to have a bunch of individuals here and there they listen to. Almost like they sat down with me, followed me around, looked at my budget, and produced what I would buy. And I did, including the weatherproof flash that elicits why comments from many (similar to the ks1). Rather gratifying because I very often experience situations where I have to fit my desires into what someone made for someone else.
02-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They could also sell accessories to widen the scope of it's usefulness, like the Audubon Shotgun Bird Stabalization System.
02-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacT Quote
Those would be huge images! I would love to get those home after a long shoot and wait for awhile for them to load in LR! Worth the wait, 2015
Ha, I know people who didn't upgrade to the K-3 because its file size is bigger than the K-5! They find 16MP to be enough and comfortable to store and process.
But I agree, it is sad that Hasselblaad and Olympus (and now Sony?) manged to squeeze more out of in-body sensor shift system than Pentax. Many of us were hoping Pentax would be the first with the pixel shift thing.
02-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Obviously. But what good, if all it would do is to get the detail up to 36MP levels?
16 Mp to 40 MP, a K-3 is 24 Mp that would take it to 60 Mp.... a 645d is 40.... impressive. Of course they could also apply a pixel shift to a 645d or 645z.... now you're getting into the stratosphere. 2.5 x 51 Mp = 127.5, we're getting up into Gurszki range and picture you need a warehouse to display.