Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Looks great and maybe we don't need that ultra hi pixel density sensor, but just a 24 megapixel FF.

02-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #47
Veteran Member

All these super-resolution changes will cause havoc for DxO Optics Pro - it's camera profiles, and lens correction modules. Not to mention Lightroom etc.
02-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
16 Mp to 40 MP, a K-3 is 24 Mp that would take it to 60 Mp.... a 645d is 40.... impressive. Of course they could also apply a pixel shift to a 645d or 645z.... now you're getting into the stratosphere. 2.5 x 51 Mp = 127.5, we're getting up into Gurszki range and picture you need a warehouse to display.
645D and 645z, don't has IS. That's one reason for why I believe that Ricoh will not go to many native Mp for this sensor shift technology. But I could be wrong.
02-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #49
Pentaxian

@rawr : That's the way business goes

02-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
645D and 645z, don't have IS. That's one point for what I believe that Ricoh will not go to many native Mp for this sensor shift technology. But I could be wrong.
Maybe it will start out as jpeg only? It's not that different fom the current HDR mode in terms of processing grunt (just guessing here though)? So enabling it on a K3, say, might not be impossible. If so, that would be welcome news for many K3 owners even if this is really for tripod + static subject. New models to come could have the full raw/tiff stuff.
02-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #51

Photos: Albums
This would be incredible if they allowed it as a firmware update for any previous models that have a compatible SR system.

It would beg the question, though, if this is possible, then why is it not possible to allow mechanical SR in video for the K-3?

Ricoh Pentax could make a lot of users incredibly happy with their decision to stay with their brand and distinguish themselves as a company that truly means to move to the top of the camera market. Pushing new bodies doesn't have the same appeal as squeezing every last ounce of functionality from the ones already circulating the field. Offer true upgrades in the bodies, good glass, and build loyalty.

I guess we will see in a week!
02-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
This would be incredible if they allowed it as a firmware update for any previous models that have a compatible SR system.
True. But I don't see them updating the firmware for the K10D, K20D, K200D etc anytime soon.

02-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Humm, it looks like it's called superresolution (Superresolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
However, who neededs that ? For large prints, all you need is 8 Mpixels ( Print Resolution Calculator - Points in Focus Photography )
02-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Indeed, adding this function to a camera announced in 2006 is unlikely.
And there's the question - is it possible? The AA-simulator can't be "retrofitted" through a software update, on the older cameras; it needed hardware changes to the SR system.
02-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Indeed, adding this function to a camera announced in 2006 is unlikely.
And there's the question - is it possible? The AA-simulator can't be "retrofitted" through a software update, on the older cameras; it needed hardware changes to the SR system.
That's a little different in that the AA Simulator requires that you first remove the AA filter that is there.

The K5iis might be able to get the upgrade but only the K3 had the supersonic dust removal right? Maybe the AA simulator required higher speed and precision. The same may be true of the older SR vs. this new enhancement. I'm not so much thinking Pentax will do it as much as some camera nerd may decide to hack his own firmware.
02-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Please be available through FW update on K3. I imagine any camera body capable of AA simulation should have enough fine control to support this.
If that be true then the K-s1 should also be FW-able.
Commence hoarding now!!

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 11:17 ----------

Jargon question: P.rumors report says it was twitted? Is it not tweeted, or is it a twote (think quote with a t)
02-08-2015, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
[/COLOR]Jargon question: P.rumors report says it was twitted? Is it not tweeted, or is it a twote (think quote with a t)
twitted means 'twas a tweet twote by a twit?
02-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ioszhka Quote
Not only in future cameras, but also in slightly older ones, too. I don't think it's that farfetched to see it appear in the K-5 series or in the K30/50/500 models. That could be a good way to show the owners of those models that they're still thought of + it would be an incentive for people searching for second-hand cameras to choose Pentax.
While that could happen, Pentax doesn't do things like that. I would be surprised to see an update for the K-3.

---------- Post added 08-02-15 at 21:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Olympus has maxed out MFT sensor pixel count (16MP), Pentax has maxed out APS-C pixel count (24MP), Canon just maxed out FF pixel count (50MP) - give or take a couple MP. This pixel shift feature is only possible in cameras with sensor shake reduction, but in FF Pentax has not maxed pixel count yet.
Have you missed the Samsung NX1?
02-08-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #59
Grr

If anyone fancies trying out superesolution *now* have a go with Photoacute.
02-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Maybe it will start out as jpeg only? It's not that different fom the current HDR mode in terms of processing grunt (just guessing here though)? So enabling it on a K3, say, might not be impossible. If so, that would be welcome news for many K3 owners even if this is really for tripod + static subject. New models to come could have the full raw/tiff stuff.
I would be perfectly fine if the camera simply took more photos and saved them separately. The rest can be done on the computer.

---------- Post added 08-02-15 at 21:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ha, I know people who didn't upgrade to the K-3 because its file size is bigger than the K-5! They find 16MP to be enough and comfortable to store and process.
But I agree, it is sad that Hasselblaad and Olympus (and now Sony?) manged to squeeze more out of in-body sensor shift system than Pentax. Many of us were hoping Pentax would be the first with the pixel shift thing.
Olympus also has a stabilized videos. They even have a mode that combines mechanical with digital SR.