Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #1

CNET K20d review 8.0/10

Check it out:

Pentax K20D (body only) Digital camera reviews - CNET Reviews

Usually I wouldn't trust CNet reviews of digital cameras (or anything). However, in this case I think the reviewer gives it a pretty fair evaluation. He points out most of the benefits and most of the flaws of the K20d.

Strangely, he doesn't talk about how terrible the live view is. Seeing almost every other reviewer has gone on-and-on for pages about Pentax's poor implementation of live view, I'm quite surprised that the consumer oriented CNet barely even mentions the feature.

I think actually that the 8/10 rating is a bit too high. The review does point out a number of flaws that have dragged the K20d's rating down in other reviews. I guess the camera gets away with a few flaws because it offers lots of nice features at an attractive price.

Oh just saw, all other recent high-end DSLRs get a higher rating. Still a nice review, though.
- Canon EOS-1D Mark-III (9.3)
- Canon EOS-1Ds Mark-III (9.0)
- Nikon D300 (8.4)
- Sony A700 (8.3)
- Canon 40D (8.1)
- Olympus E-3 (8.1)

Other CNET ratings:
- Canon 30D (8.0)
- Nikon D80 (8.0)
- Canon 5D (7.9)
- Canon Rebel XSi (7.8)
- Canon Rebel XTi (7.8)
- Nikon D200 (7.8)
- Pentax K200d (7.7)
- Pentax K10d (7.7)
- Sony A350 (7.2)
- Nikon D60 (7.2)
- Nikon D40x (7.2)
- Olympus E-510 (7.1)
- Sony A200 (7.0)

Last edited by jms698; 05-30-2008 at 12:31 PM.
05-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

I'm tired of reading reviews but from the summary :

The bad: Slightly inaccurate colors; shake reduction could be more effective.

Color inaccuracy is normal with any camera since the ccd you have in your sample is slightly different then the one used by the software compagny to build the camera profile in their raw converter. Calibrate your camera to compensate for the profile of the software and you'll get near 100% color accuracy with any dslr.

"Shake reduction could be more effective". Are they really complaining because something good isn't good enough ? Hey my boss gave me a 10% raise but since it could be more I might just change job. If they removed let's say 5% from the K20D rating for that, they may as well remove 20% for nikon and canon that don't have the feature.
05-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have to agree 100% with the above post.
06-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the glaring errors in the video clip at the outset of the film is his stating that the Pentax K20D has 14.2 mega pixels. It is NOT a Sony. The Pentax is a 15.1 mega pixel camera with 14.6 effective mega pixels. For all intent and purpose (my usage) 100-400 iso. The Pentax K20D is one of the best DSLR's on the market at this point in time and at any price point. The other day my girlfriend asked "if you could choose any DSLR you want for what you do which would it be?"..I thought for a moment and realized that the Pentax is perfect for my needs. Perhaps the Canon 1Ds Mklll. But I prefer the Pentax glass. The Canon is much too cumbersome and weighs in more than many medium format camera's. The K20D IS a Pro Camera for what I use a camera for. I would have given the K20D closer to a 9 out of 10. Why? Look at the price for what one is getting. A close to 15 mega pixel camera with SR, sensor cleaning, water resistant and around 1200 dollars. I paid over 2500 dollars for a Canon 10D when it came out. We are becoming truly jaded. The output of the K20D is absolutely astounding and at the iso settings I shoot at, is on par with the best of Canon and Nikon. Hmmm, perhaps better than the both of them. As a caveat, if another brand comes out with another product that does a better job for what I need, perhaps I will change brands. However, Pentax will probably fill those requirement in their future offerings. Oh one more thing. Handle a K20D and grip. It is ergonomically as close to perfect as one might expect, where the grip on the Canon's seem like an after thought.

Oh well, I am finished my rambling for now.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 06-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.
06-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, Ben. You really gave a lot of credit for k20d! Glad to see you stay and support the product you had one advocated. Really glad to see the consistency and you are a man of principle. Perpetuating all the way.
06-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I personally think that CNET provides the poorest reviews of any site on the internet. They consistently produce nonsense, regardless if the product I bought was reviewed well or not.

Jason
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've tagged CNET's reviews as utter shite the moment I heard the review on the K10D. The presenter said something like "The K10D has excellent image quality in a rugged body, but lacks performance". EXCUSE ME? Isn't image quality the single most important element in the design of a camera?
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I realized which reviews (review sites) were crap or not after the K10D won many awards. Why would the K10d win awards and recognition when some sites would give a recommended or slightly above average score compared to the rest of the cameras in its class?

06-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
I realized which reviews (review sites) were crap or not after the K10D won many awards. Why would the K10d win awards and recognition when some sites would give a recommended or slightly above average score compared to the rest of the cameras in its class?
That's an easy one - they're being paid by the other two.
06-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's a rule I live by: "Consider the source."
06-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
It comes down to the different perspective of reviews from gadget sites, consumer electronics sites, and photography-oriented sites. For example, a small, toy-like camera with a big live-view screen will do a lot better with the first two than the solid, heavier, more traditional K10D. DSLRs are rapidly becoming mass-market consumer electronics devices, and this is the primary marketing problem that Pentax/Samsung face today.
06-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have used CNET to do basic research for consumer P&S cameras and maybe cell phones. Other than that....

I've also noted that their most recent reviews have not been consistant with methodologies and considerations in the past. They're playin' fast & loose with the review process and I think it may be because of turnover in that area.

Didn't CBS just buy CNET too? Can you guess what is about to happen to that site?