Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #121
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
We hope the optical features as as good as the 18-55 WR and we also hope that it is better - but without more information we don't know
at last... I agree that you or whoever may hope, but this is all we know for sure. So, fuzz around something nobody knows for sure? for me it's strange reason to get too exited. maybe i am too old. i also agree on your- low end user statement, but cheaper way to achieve this goal is just lower price for previous product, it is K-30 or K-50, than make restricted product selling at marginally lower price. Same about kit lens 3-5 mm shorter or more compact, does not look like reason at least for me.

02-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #122
Forum Member

Here some facts, without religious beliefs

HD PENTAX 18-50 DC WR RE

Aperture ring No (serious show-stopper for me)
min focusing 0,3m (we will probably loose some macro ability here, comparing to old kit)
Maximum magnification 0.23× (less than previously on kitlens)
focus translates to 27,5-76.5 mm range on 35 mm format (shorter)
filter diameter 58mm (does not represent front element size)
weight 158g (improvement)
f4-5,6 (we lost here)
minimal aperture 22-32
○最大径×長さ:約71×約41mm - should be dimensions in japanese...
Features:
DC
Splash-proof construction
Quick Shift Focus
SP coating
HD coating
The aperture circular
No lens hood at all. (or can you call this one hood?)

smc Pentax DA 18-55 mm F3,5-5,6 AL WR
minimal focus distantce 0,25m (we get closer)
Maximum magnification 0.34× (we see bigger)
minimal aperture 22-38
27,5-84,5mm-s on 35mm format
filter 52mm
weight 235g (heavier)
○最大径×長さ:約68.5×約67.5mm (dimensions)
Features:
Splash-proof construction
Quick Shift Focus
SP coating
Body AF

both lenses have nearly equal diagonal of view 76-32 vs 76-31,5 degrees
Looking schematics, is hard to believe we will get optically very different performance from previous kit.

Looks more like win-win solution.

info extracted from this one: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf

Last edited by Vihmameister; 02-22-2015 at 10:50 AM.
02-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #123
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Vihmameister Quote
its hard to get more stupid statement like yours. another user with functional reading handicap perhaps? or must i write it with bold and capitals to get you attention like: WHAT THIS NEW LENS ADDS FOR EXISTING LENS-BASE WHAT WE PENTAXIANS DO NOT HAVE ALREADY ? If pointing out, there are no new significant new features or improvement makes it for you as "accusing", then keep your religion and go pray for it on nearby chapel.

Something similar i may ask on KS1 too, what for was it released at all? What was excuse to release it if there we had already K-30 or K-50. Spend more than year just to announce something we had and even that made with limitations and fancy led buttons? Who cares about dynamic range of 52100 ISO? How many of you use it in real world? I call this waste of time on manufacturing and loosing market and money. keep in mind, that repeating in this world may often mean step back, because time-flow does not stop while you are crossing fingers. It would be nice if ricoh will focus in adding something new, like FF at last.
Err, guy, I don't know if you read it, but I actually agreed with you wholeheartedly. That's why I wrote what I wrote.

No need to shout around in capitals. No need to call my posts stupid. But if you do, I guess I'm done talking to you.
02-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LOL Boriscletoed...

02-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #125
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Err, guy, I don't know if you read it, but I actually agreed with you wholeheartedly. That's why I wrote what I wrote. No need to shout around in capitals. No need to call my posts stupid. But if you do, I guess I'm done talking to you.
Hmm, looks like mis- understanding of foreign language. I understood at first, that you accuse me for saying something "against" lens i do not know about. So if so, then sorry, peace
02-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Err, guy, I don't know if you read it, but I actually agreed with you wholeheartedly. That's why I wrote what I wrote.

No need to shout around in capitals. No need to call my posts stupid. But if you do, I guess I'm done talking to you.
Yeah, he seems pretty eager to argue with anyone, even after his basic question "What does this lens offer?" has been answered by several people.

Also, @Vihmameister, the HD version includes a hood. It is pictured in the pdf you linked to.

---------- Post added 02-22-15 at 11:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
LOL Boriscletoed...
Ditto.
02-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The second image is pretty sharp in the center and shows very little chromatic aberrations (even for the not so harsh conditions).
That's because the in-camera CA correction was turned on.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 12-14-2016 at 04:55 AM.
02-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #128
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Also, @Vihmameister, the HD version includes a hood. It is pictured in the pdf you linked to.
Oh thank god you found those tiny strings out from the picture! I feel this lens is now safe and you made my day man. Anything else about beliefs?

---------- Post added 02-22-15 at 06:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
what is the name of new hood?
i suggest "stringular hood" - combined from strings and circular. or ministrings perhaps
02-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
What's not to like here (provided IQ is indeed at least as good as the 18-55) ?
My one concern would be about the long-term robustness of the extension mechanism.

Apart from that, it appears that this is the kit-lens update
that Pentax had to produce to stay as a viable player in the low-end DSLR market.
Now they just need a lot of advertising, and shelf placement in the big-box stores.
02-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
My one concern would be about the long-term robustness of the extension mechanism.

Apart from that, it appears that this is the kit-lens update
that Pentax had to produce to stay as a viable player in the low-end DSLR market.
Now they just need a lot of advertising, and shelf placement in the big-box stores.
I actually quite like this lens. I can see circumstances where I decide to take my DA*60-250 as my main lens and this lens in my pocket as the "just in case" lens. Up until now, it's often been the 21 and the 49 XS or 18-135 with the DA*. This gives me a small lightweight option. When the price comes down I'll definitely consider selling the K-01 and K20D and K-5 and a few other tidbits to ad the KS-2 and this lens.

As long as it's as good as the 18-55 optically, although, it would be wrong if it was worse.

The advantages
-fits in my pocket
-weather resistant
-the K2-s should be a better back-up body than any of my other bodies as well as it it won't take much space in my pack.

If the price is good, I'll buy one for my daughter-in-law next xMas, to replace her white K-x, which she just loves.
02-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #131
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stupid question; what is the rectangular cutout for?
02-22-2015, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

To let the light in? :P
02-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Same here. It is an ugly beast though.

I would not like to work that narrow zoom ring with gloves on. And of course you don't get a hard infinity focus ring stop with the DC focus drive ...
02-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #134
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Stupid question; what is the rectangular cutout for?
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
To let the light in? :P
I doubt, about light, looks more like to collect and keep dust close to front element's new coating )
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #135
Veteran Member

I think that a DC motor in a kit lens is a big plus. Too many reviews of Pentax cameras that I have read mark the camera down because of the whine of the focussing motor when Using screw-driven lenses. I know this is illogical, but it happens all the time.